Objectively reading the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I have recently become an atheist, and would like to do an objective study of the bible, and I'm wondering if anyone would like to start one with me. Rather than just watching videos on the internet, I'd like to do my own research with somebody who is a skeptic, as I am surrounded by theists!Smile Anyways, if anybody wants to, I plan to start in the beginning, and just go all the way through. I plan to write down all the moral and logical problems we find, and I might write a book later on, not sure on that. If I do I will certainly give credit where credit is due, but enough of that. Does anybody know a website we could collaborate on? I could make a free Google page if we need to, this thread could easily get off topic with newcomers.

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. -Laurence J. Peter
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2013, 07:42 PM
RE: Objectively reading the bible
You might think about actually learning something about it.
Just reading it tells you nothing. It was written in an ancient culture, and unless you know something about the culture, you cannot possibly understand it.

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145
http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-07-2013, 07:44 PM
You shouldn't waste your time. Read Moby Dick instead.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
14-07-2013, 08:08 PM
(14-07-2013 07:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You shouldn't waste your time. Read Moby Dick instead.

Hmm. But there are rather a lot of Biblical references in Moby Dick, from Ahab and Ishmael on down...

... this is my signature!
14-07-2013, 08:27 PM
(14-07-2013 07:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You shouldn't waste your time. Read Moby Dick instead.

Haha, I get why you might think so, but I want to be fully capable to debate and debunk theists. Also, it's a promise I made to my creationist mother that I continue to learn and make sure I'm positive about my decision. I fully understand why she would say this, and I'm glad that she was okay with my decision and encouraged further learning.

[+] 1 user Likes Derek Hammar's post
14-07-2013, 08:42 PM
(14-07-2013 08:08 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Hmm. But there are rather a lot of Biblical references in Moby Dick, from Ahab and Ishmael on down...

Hence the suggestion. Girl_nails

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-07-2013, 08:46 PM
(14-07-2013 08:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hence the suggestion. Girl_nails

Sure, but surely an allusion makes more sense when you know what it's alluding to, right?
Big Grin

... this is my signature!
14-07-2013, 08:53 PM
You may want to read Ken's Guide to the Bible by Ken Smith first. I'm going through it right now - an interesting intro into the whackness of the Good Book...
14-07-2013, 08:55 PM
(14-07-2013 08:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-07-2013 08:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hence the suggestion. Girl_nails

Sure, but surely an allusion makes more sense when you know what it's alluding to, right?
Big Grin

I've asked you not to call me Shirley.

And I'm just saying, they're both big books, but one is more entertaining and enlightening than the other.

You can also know an allusion without having read the original source. And thanks to your spoilers, now he'll know. Chase

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Fiirstly, thank you for the websiute on reliigous studies, i will look into it. As for the allusion, you have me thourogly confused, and you fifn;t spoil snythiung since I have no vlue what you are talking about.Smile. I'm typing without my glasses, so I apoligize I couldn't see what I'm typing yo spellcheck. As for the book you reffered me to, I will see if the liberary has it, and do you recoomendd any other books on the topic? O like to get three or so books per trip(im an avid reader). Thanks all and look forward to reading this material.