Objectively reading the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2013, 11:51 AM
RE: Objectively reading the bible
There's also The Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells, although I haven't gone through mine yet...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Reading the whole bible without any historical context is like trying to put ten pounds of poo in a two pound sack. I would recommend starting with biblical origins and work out from there, using archaeological data as an independent means of verification. There's a wealth of information out there already, so it would save duplication of effort to read scholars like Bart Ehrman who have done seminal work in their respective fields of religious study. An excellent blog to read and follow is John Loftus's Debunking Christianity. There are many others as well.
I would also recommend digital over analog. Thumbing through a book is unwieldy and slow. Using a free program like E-Sword gives you rapid search capability, print function, space for notes, and a Strong's Concordance for language reference.

Easy-peasy. Big Grin

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my hand. Dodgy
17-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:I have recently become an atheist, and would like to do an objective study of the bible

I like LOTR and the Dark Tower series. I'd love to chat with Stephen King or to have chatted with J.R.R. Tolkien. Please understand what I mean by "if you want to do a study of the Bible accurately, why not chat with its author?"

Smile
17-07-2013, 09:46 AM
It's real authors are dead. It's purported Author is a figment of the imagination of a primitive and superstitious people who botched history, science and ethics so calamitously that it is easy to conclude the Author itself was not a participant in the writers' babblings.
17-07-2013, 11:42 AM
(17-07-2013 09:37 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I like LOTR and the Dark Tower series. I'd love to chat with Stephen King or to have chatted with J.R.R. Tolkien. Please understand what I mean by "if you want to do a study of the Bible accurately, why not chat with its author?"

Smile

Yeah, and while you're at it, get Bill Gates on the phone and set up a meeting so he can give you an in-depth class on Windows 8. Gates is actually real and alive, so you'll have a much better shot at gaining his attention and instruction...Rolleyes
17-07-2013, 02:35 PM
All this and no link to Buddy's thread? Dodgy

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

And! Studying the Bible will only make your debates longer and more frustrating. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-07-2013, 04:03 PM
1.Learn Hebrew to read OT.
2.Learn Ancient Greek to read NT.
3.Do you know that there are many add in the NT like the next verses ? (John 7:53 , John 8:11). You must know that because this is necessary to better understand the NT.
4.Learn more about the context of the writing of these texts.
5.If you need a translation in English language compare with minimum five versions. I use the KJV , RSVCE , Wycliffe Bible , Darby Translation and Orthodox Jewish Bible.
23-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Quote:It's real authors are dead. It's purported Author is a figment of the imagination of a primitive and superstitious people who botched history, science and ethics so calamitously that it is easy to conclude the Author itself was not a participant in the writers' babblings.

My, what big generalizations you have, grandma! Maybe you can tell us why the Bible as literature and as theology is studied in universities worldwide. Not to mention all those "Bible secrets" and "ancient Bible science facts" programs on the History Channel. Smile
23-07-2013, 02:18 PM
(23-07-2013 02:14 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Not to mention all those "Bible secrets" and "ancient Bible science facts" programs on the History Channel. Smile

[Image: history_channel_aliens.jpg]

... this is my signature!
23-07-2013, 02:23 PM
(23-07-2013 02:14 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:It's real authors are dead. It's purported Author is a figment of the imagination of a primitive and superstitious people who botched history, science and ethics so calamitously that it is easy to conclude the Author itself was not a participant in the writers' babblings.

My, what big generalizations you have, grandma! Maybe you can tell us why the Bible as literature and as theology is studied in universities worldwide. Not to mention all those "Bible secrets" and "ancient Bible science facts" programs on the History Channel. Smile

It's studied as literature because of the widespread impact it has had around the world. It is studied as theology because millions of mistaken people sincerely believe it is "truth" despite its contradictions and actual errors of history and science.

It is on the History Channel for the same reason so many shows that don't contain music videos are featured on MTV: The channel has lost sight of its original purpose and now cares more about ratings than historical accuracy. Please, PleaseJesus, ask me a tough one.