Objectivism, Relativism or both?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Objectivism, Relativism or both?
This is my first thread!

I want to get to know you guys........

Simple question: Do you see the world through strictly subjective "eyes" or objective ones?

My answer is: I based my views strictly on empirical data: this is to see reality as science can describe it.

What's your answer?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 08:55 PM
RE: Objectivism, Relativism or both?
I basicaly follow what I read in the works of Karl Popper.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
05-01-2014, 09:34 PM
(05-01-2014 08:12 PM)Physb Wrote:  This is my first thread!

Simple question: Do you see the world through strictly subjective "eyes" or objective ones?

My answer is: I based my views strictly on empirical data: this is to see reality as science can describe it.

What's your answer?

Your post is confused:
--Relativism is not synonymous with subjectivism
--Using only our senses we can only experience the world subjectively, we don't have a choice in the matter, we can't choose to have unmediated access to reality
--Using instruments we can experience the world objectively
--you don't "see reality as science can describe it", you can't see atoms, you only see a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum, you only hear a narrow range of audio frequencies, etc.
--if you mean to say that you believe the world is as science describes that view is termed scientific realism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
05-01-2014, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 11:07 PM by Physb.)
(05-01-2014 09:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 08:12 PM)Physb Wrote:  This is my first thread!

What's your answer?

Your post is confused:
--Relativism is not synonymous with subjectivism
--Using only our senses we can only experience the world subjectively, we don't have a choice in the matter, we can't choose to have unmediated access to reality
--Using instruments we can experience the world objectively
--you don't "see reality as science can describe it", you can't see atoms, you only see a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum, you only hear a narrow range of audio frequencies, etc.
--if you mean to say that you believe the world is as science describes that view is termed scientific realism

I wasn't very specific. To answer this: "--you don't "see reality as science can describe it", you can't see atoms, you only see a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum, you only hear a narrow range of audio frequencies, etc."

Here's this:
http://www.itu.dk/~oladjones/semester%20...earch1.pdf
( I assumed I didn't had to specify, I find it redundant.)

I never specified that we could only use our sense. Don't know where you got that one from.

Initial quote: My answer is: I based my views strictly on empirical data: this is to see reality as science can describe it.

To this: if you mean to say that you believe the world is as science describes that view is termed scientific realism

Yes, I was leaning towards that definition but wanted to remain rather simplistic.

Tell me if you need me to be more specific. Thanks for your reply.
06-01-2014, 07:39 AM
As my experience is a subjective one, I can only make use of subjective input. I hypothesise, however, that a shared reality exists that mediates the interactions I have with the other people who appear to exist. So far that hypothesis has never let me down, as far as I can tell.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
06-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Gwynnite. Big Grin

The objection I have to objectivism in philosophy is entropy. Angel

I hypothesize Pure Number (geometry and the Witwiki Symbolism, a "non-entropic number concept." It's a work in progress. Wink )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post