Objectivity in science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 12:58 PM by Heathen.)
RE: Objectivity in science
(10-04-2013 06:50 AM)I and I Wrote:  A better method would be to have the sciences coordinating in conjunction with the the good of the people in a society, this would mean a government ran and directed science division. When I say government I am not referring to a capitalist government.

The better scientific method would be to not attempt to escape bias (that is not possible) but to affirm this bias and take it upon ones self to make science the life changing and betterment of the people and all living things.

Under capitalism, the false notion of unbiased science ironically leads to a disfunctional non coordinated field that perpetuates capitalism. Is it necessary for sciences to spend money and resources on flavor enhancing chemicals for food, or more dangerous pesticides, or boner pills?

So are you advocating complete government control of science? This seems a rather dangerous path IMO. It also seems strange comming from someone as distrustful and skeptical of goverment as you seem to be.

Under the current system, government already takes on much of the task of funding basic scientific research. I'm in favour of this. But business is free to engage in whatever science they wish. How would we put a stop to this and force them to undertake science that government decides is worthwhile for the common good?

I share your frustration with the apparent waste on seemingles frivolous pursuits and I would like to see more resources devoted to basic science, but I'm not sure I like what you are proposing. Perhaps if you expanded on how you think that you can actually achieve this?

"When I say government I am not referring to a capitalist government.".
What form of government are you talking about?

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
(10-04-2013 12:54 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 06:50 AM)I and I Wrote:  A better method would be to have the sciences coordinating in conjunction with the the good of the people in a society, this would mean a government ran and directed science division. When I say government I am not referring to a capitalist government.

The better scientific method would be to not attempt to escape bias (that is not possible) but to affirm this bias and take it upon ones self to make science the life changing and betterment of the people and all living things.

Under capitalism, the false notion of unbiased science ironically leads to a disfunctional non coordinated field that perpetuates capitalism. Is it necessary for sciences to spend money and resources on flavor enhancing chemicals for food, or more dangerous pesticides, or boner pills?

So are you advocating complete government control of science? This seems a rather dangerous path IMO. It also seems strange comming from someone as distrustful and skeptical of goverment as you seem to be.

Under the current system, government already takes on much of the task of funding basic scientific research. I'm in favour of this. But business is free to engage in whatever science they wish. How would we put a stop to this and force them to undertake science that government decides is worthwhile for the common good?

I share your frustration with the apparent waste on seemingles frivolous pursuits and I would like to see more resources devoted to basic science, but I'm not sure I like what you are proposing. Perhaps if you expanded on how you think that you can actually achieve this?

"When I say government I am not referring to a capitalist government.".
What form of government are you talking about?

What I mean by that is that currently we live in a capitalist government that puts a premium on profit, so science is morphed into this tool that capitalists use to make a profit. Today science is basically under the control of the capitalist profit system so I am certainly not advocating the continue of the capitalist systems control of science.

A government that is more structured to benefit the people and not just a few corporations would be the ideal government to manage this coordination of the sciences, instead of a corporation hiring scientists to come up with a flavor for a new pop tart we could have them do things that benefit society in the long term and not just for profit.
11-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I think we have stubled into common ground here. The trick is finding that balance and how to acheive it. More money for basic research, medicine and technology (which I am in favour of) requires that someone pay for it. These priorities are set by governemnt or in reality by those in power. But I still beleive that sceince is objective, perhaps it is the priorities and goals that we have a problem with.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume