Poll: Do you agree to the alien's deal?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Objectivity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: Objectivity
I'm saying No because he tried to threaten me, I mean ...he could've just asked nicely.

Big Grin

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 01:46 PM
(21-10-2013 01:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  There are a lot of assumptions in this. Your assuming your country is the only one being asked to make this sacrifice.

Other countries could agree or disagree...if they are also contacted.

In the TV show the demand is made to the entire world. I wanted to put the decision solely on the reader for my scenario though. Just imagine that it is only your country threatened with destruction by your actions, that way it is irrelevant if other countries have been asked or not.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
21-10-2013, 01:48 PM
(21-10-2013 01:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How do you know that? It doesn't say what these aliens want with the children. Maybe they want to read them stories? Maybe their lives would be improved?

It's nothing hugely nice, believe me. It does increase their lifespan considerably though.

Would you like a description of what they plan to use them for?

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
21-10-2013, 01:49 PM
(21-10-2013 01:45 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 01:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I'm interested in how you would react to the deal. I know my way is probably catastrophic but it has that 1% chance of success where as compliance I think leads to a worse fate than death.

I have no idea how I'd react.

I'd probably cry under my desk racking my brains for a solution until it was too late and we all got killed anyway.

Would you accept if you had a guarantee that they would take the 10% and leave forever?

That's the kicker for me and why I can't go along with the deal. I just don't believe it would be a one time event. I can't think of any way I could be convinced it would be just once either.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-10-2013, 01:51 PM
(21-10-2013 01:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I would say no. It might be catastrophic but it is better than the alternative. The way I see it this is a trap because once you agree to this the Aliens now have control over you. Especially if this deal is kept quiet the threat of publicly revealing your compliance with it would make it impossible to refuse any further demands. You have just turned humanity into a vassal state on the verge of a slave state. Refusing the deal calls their bluff if they can indeed destroy the earth then there was nothing stopping them from doing so once they got whatever it was they wanted in the first place. However if it was a bluff on their part you have just prevented the destruction of the future of humanity.

I totally agree with you on this except for one minor detail... You said "...if they can indeed destroy the earth..." I think it's fair to say that any lifeform that is capable of interstellar travel, have technology (and, therefore, weapons) that are far beyond our comprehension. I'd believe that they could undoubtedly destroy us.
So the question would be: Why ask for our compliance in the first place, why not just take the children with ease since they'd be capable? Perhaps their end goal is the slave state. Or perhaps it is simply a bluff and they have a very high regard for life (or a Prime Directive prohibiting global genocide). Either way, they need us to be submissive and hand over 10% of our children... for what purpose? Labor? Genetic sampling? Pedophilia?

Tell them to take their proposal and insert it into whatever orifice they have that's analogous to an ass.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
21-10-2013, 02:01 PM
(21-10-2013 01:48 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 01:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How do you know that? It doesn't say what these aliens want with the children. Maybe they want to read them stories? Maybe their lives would be improved?

It's nothing hugely nice, believe me. It does increase their lifespan considerably though.

Would you like a description of what they plan to use them for?

Assuming I'm a dictator and the decision is mine alone to make, I would need more information. Yes that includes what would happen. Sounds like the kobayashi maru from star trek.

How do we know they can really destroy the planet? What does destroy the planet mean to them? Blow it up, or simply make it uninhabitable?

Would it be possible to evacuate some inhabitants somewhere else? How do you decide then who goes and who stays?

The question to me goes beyond yes or no.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

21-10-2013, 02:10 PM
(21-10-2013 02:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Assuming I'm a dictator and the decision is mine alone to make, I would need more information. Yes that includes what would happen. Sounds like the kobayashi maru from star trek.

How do we know they can really destroy the planet? What does destroy the planet mean to them? Blow it up, or simply make it uninhabitable?

Would it be possible to evacuate some inhabitants somewhere else? How do you decide then who goes and who stays?

You are the head of a democracy but it's ultimately your choice (you have 24 hours to decide).

They almost definitely have the technology to destroy your country and all the inhabitants with no chance to escape, avoidance isn't an option (in the show it was a demand of the entire planet, I changed it to a single country in this scenario so the entire decision rests on the reader).

The children are taken by the aliens and used as a type of living drug in a sense. The aliens hook themselves up to the children's bodies which release endorphins, making the aliens feel (in their words) "good". This increases the child's life-span (the aliens claim indefinitely) but leaves them severely deformed and lacking any quality of life. They also seem conscious and aware throughout this. Here is a picture of a child the aliens acquired 40 years previously and have used in this way ever since;

[Image: child.jpg]

Best
Worst
21-10-2013, 02:18 PM
(21-10-2013 02:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 02:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Assuming I'm a dictator and the decision is mine alone to make, I would need more information. Yes that includes what would happen. Sounds like the kobayashi maru from star trek.

You are the head of a democracy but it's ultimately your choice (you have 24 hours to decide).

They almost definitely have the technology to destroy your country and all the inhabitants with no chance to escape, avoidance isn't an option (in the show it was a demand of the entire planet, I changed it to a single country in this scenario so the entire decision rests on the reader).

The children are taken by the aliens and used as a type of living drug in a sense. The aliens hook themselves up to the children's bodies which release endorphins, making the aliens feel (in their words) "good". This increases the child's life-span (the aliens claim indefinitely) but leaves them severely deformed and lacking any quality of life. They also seem conscious and aware throughout this. Here is a picture of a child the aliens acquired 40 years previously and have used in this way ever since;

[Image: child.jpg]

Just my country...so Canada, Mexico everywhere else are unharmed?

21-10-2013, 02:21 PM
(21-10-2013 02:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just my country...so Canada, Mexico everywhere else are unharmed?

In your scenario yes. Of course the demand could be being made of those countries separately but they will live or die by their own decisions, not yours. No escaping to those countries though, that would defeat the point of the scenario.

Best
Worst
21-10-2013, 02:26 PM
10% of just children population?