Poll: Do you agree to the alien's deal?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Objectivity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: Objectivity
(21-10-2013 02:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  10% of just children population?

Yep, as in pre-pubescents. In the show it included UK primary school age children so around 11 and under.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Damn...my kids are too old then....

Fuck it.

I'm a mean bitch. I'd go out fighting.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-10-2013, 02:43 PM
(21-10-2013 02:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 02:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Assuming I'm a dictator and the decision is mine alone to make, I would need more information. Yes that includes what would happen. Sounds like the kobayashi maru from star trek.

How do we know they can really destroy the planet? What does destroy the planet mean to them? Blow it up, or simply make it uninhabitable?

Would it be possible to evacuate some inhabitants somewhere else? How do you decide then who goes and who stays?

The question to me goes beyond yes or no.

You are the head of a democracy but it's ultimately your choice (you have 24 hours to decide).

They almost definitely have the technology to destroy your country and all the inhabitants with no chance to escape, avoidance isn't an option (in the show it was a demand of the entire planet, I changed it to a single country in this scenario so the entire decision rests on the reader).

The children are taken by the aliens and used as a type of living drug in a sense. The aliens hook themselves up to the children's bodies which release endorphins, making the aliens feel (in their words) "good". This increases the child's life-span (the aliens claim indefinitely) but leaves them severely deformed and lacking any quality of life. They also seem conscious and aware throughout this. Here is a picture of a child the aliens acquired 40 years previously and have used in this way ever since;

[Image: child.jpg]

I gotta say this is making my No decision more firm and my belief that this is not a one time event more grounded. What if this time it is 10% but next time the number has doubled or tripled? How long before they are just taking all but a few "breeders" to fulfil the demand? In effect humanity is now just a domesticated animal for these aliens. As I said a fate worse than death.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-10-2013, 02:52 PM
(21-10-2013 02:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 02:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  You are the head of a democracy but it's ultimately your choice (you have 24 hours to decide).

They almost definitely have the technology to destroy your country and all the inhabitants with no chance to escape, avoidance isn't an option (in the show it was a demand of the entire planet, I changed it to a single country in this scenario so the entire decision rests on the reader).

The children are taken by the aliens and used as a type of living drug in a sense. The aliens hook themselves up to the children's bodies which release endorphins, making the aliens feel (in their words) "good". This increases the child's life-span (the aliens claim indefinitely) but leaves them severely deformed and lacking any quality of life. They also seem conscious and aware throughout this. Here is a picture of a child the aliens acquired 40 years previously and have used in this way ever since;

I gotta say this is making my No decision more firm and my belief that this is not a one time event more grounded. What if this time it is 10% but next time the number has doubled or tripled? How long before they are just taking all but a few "breeders" to fulfil the demand? In effect humanity is now just a domesticated animal for these aliens. As I said a fate worse than death.

Yes, but now you've left the door open for them to come and take all the children. Such a haul might save other countries tho...

But you're dead.

21-10-2013, 03:03 PM
So... Why is it always assumed that the aliens would be jerks? If they're capable of traveling such distances, they would likely have either: a very fast method of transportation, making countless other planets viable for resource mining, and leaving Earth easily avoidable... Or they have lifespans long enough to avoid unnecessary ultimatums. Its also possible that they are only slightly more advanced than us. Enough to get here, and still require resources or a habitable planet, but that would limit them to a neighboring system, making the likelihood of their very existence much less than the first two possible civilizations.

I would ask what they wanted the children for, and make suggestions based on what I know of Earth. Make it understood that if we had come to their homeworld with similar demands, they would likely want to know why. If one side has clear superiority in firepower, why not divulge the reasons behind the demands?

Also, if they came for the children... We have something they want, so after trying to understand their intentions, I might suggest a trade. That way we both get something.
21-10-2013, 03:06 PM
(21-10-2013 03:03 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  So... Why is it always assumed that the aliens would be jerks? If they're capable of traveling such distances, they would likely have either: a very fast method of transportation, making countless other planets viable for resource mining, and leaving Earth easily avoidable... Or they have lifespans long enough to avoid unnecessary ultimatums. Its also possible that they are only slightly more advanced than us. Enough to get here, and still require resources or a habitable planet, but that would limit them to a neighboring system, making the likelihood of their very existence much less than the first two possible civilizations.

I would ask what they wanted the children for, and make suggestions based on what I know of Earth. Make it understood that if we had come to their homeworld with similar demands, they would likely want to know why. If one side has clear superiority in firepower, why not divulge the reasons behind the demands?

Also, if they came for the children... We have something they want, so after trying to understand their intentions, I might suggest a trade. That way we both get something.
That was already answered by Hughsie

Fate worse than just death. Like eternal suffering.

21-10-2013, 03:15 PM
(21-10-2013 02:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 02:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Assuming I'm a dictator and the decision is mine alone to make, I would need more information. Yes that includes what would happen. Sounds like the kobayashi maru from star trek.

How do we know they can really destroy the planet? What does destroy the planet mean to them? Blow it up, or simply make it uninhabitable?

Would it be possible to evacuate some inhabitants somewhere else? How do you decide then who goes and who stays?

The question to me goes beyond yes or no.

You are the head of a democracy but it's ultimately your choice (you have 24 hours to decide).

Lol, and they can't synthesize it?
21-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I revise my decision.

I'd order nukes. No survivors to be destroyed. No children to be kidnapped.

21-10-2013, 03:26 PM
(21-10-2013 03:15 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 02:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  You are the head of a democracy but it's ultimately your choice (you have 24 hours to decide).

Lol, and they can't synthesize it?

I guess it's like synthohol. Not as good as the real thing.

21-10-2013, 03:32 PM
They're super advanced... Advanced enough that they managed to bring enough firepower across all those lightyears of space, and they can't even figure out how to grow a gland or organ to produce the drug they want... for some reason? I mean, they're so advanced, and they can't even figure out a permanent solution?