Oblivion versus Skyrim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 08:03 AM
RE: Oblivion versus Skyrim
But it doesn't add anything to the game.
You can run, jump and swim in Skyrim.
If Oblivion removed acrobatics and athletics the game would be exactly the same.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Except you could run faster as your athletics skill got better and you could jump farther as acrobatics improved (and you could jump off of the water too).

I think the oversimplification that bothers me most is still the crafting. It wasn't perfect in Oblivion but the alteration of it in Skyrim is no better. You can't craft spells in Skyrim. Crafting a dagger raises your armory skill as much as crafting anything else but increases in alchemy are related to the monetary cost of the potion you are crafting. Enchanting isn't bad in either one I suppose, but when you have to devote an entire skill tree to enchanting just to apply two enchantments to a weapon, it is slightly annoying. I prefer to apply my perks to other areas I use more regularly as opposed to something I will use once.

I was also expecting the perks to be similar to those from the Fallout series rather than what they were. Those perks conveyed bonuses that sometimes depended on your skill level for particular skills, but conveyed some real advantage. In Skyrim, they eliminated the blade and blunt skills, but then they added perks to the skill tree that give damage bonuses to either sword, mace, or hammer and effectively still caused the player to choose one over the other. I wanted to be a master of none, but in order to make it through as a warrior wielding a weapon, you pretty well have to pick one and max out the damage.

I love Skyrim, but it still dropped the ball in a few key areas if I'm honest.

Evolve
11-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Simplifying games is the new trend today, people who make games want to sell more of them, so they do not aim at their oldschool fans, but they tend to appeal to a wider and younger audience, so the simplification of the game is one of the ways to do it. Unfortunately, this does not go well with the "older" generations that played older parts of the franchise.

Similar thing happened with the Sid Meyers Civilization 5. It did get some new and improved things, but it has lost half of the things you could do and had to keep watch on from the Civ 4. Also, the difficulty of the Civ 5 is 10 times easier that in Civ 4. In Civs 3 and 4 no one could play at God ad Sid levels, yet now in Civ 5 after a few weeks of playing you can beat a huge map in level 8 difficulty with a bit of struggle and good luck, but fairly easy beat it on level 7.

The stupidifying and simplifying of the games continues for the bigger profit and they try to make it up with greater graphics. We shall see how Diablo 3 did it, as compared to the previous versions...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
11-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Oh god yes, as a huge civ fan I was rather disappointing in Civ5. It was still an alright game but had nothing on Civ4.

As for athletics and acrobatics adding things to the game by making you run faster or jump higher, yes I get that but that in itself doesn't add anything to the game, it doesn't effect the game in anyway except how fast it takes you to get from a to b.
Things like one handed weapons related skills add to the game because they make you better with said weapons, increase your damage and such. Higher stealth makes you harder to detect etc..
If I invest in magic there is the trade off that I can't invest in something else, so while I may become a mage or something you wont then be able to use say 2h swords. Where as with athletics and acrobatics it doesn't change anything weather I have 1 or 100.
As for skills I admittedly never got into them in Oblivion so you may be very right but from my experience with making potions in Oblivion it seemed very random and it was mostly guess work unless you had a bit of paper you printed off the internet telling you what to mix with what. In Skyrim you still get the core element of potion making in alchemy in the sense that you end up with the same result it just makes it less random and fiddly.
And they patched that dagger thing (though that is how I got mine to 100 in like 10minutes.)

Overall I agree games are being dumbed down, I mean I still play Baldur's Gate II which works on the D&D system and anyone who has played games that use that engine, umm Icewind, Neverwinter Nights and a few others, will be able to tell you that a bit of planning is needed and battles can be bloody hard and if you're missing one thing, like say protect from maze, then it could be near impossible. Now I play games like Kingdoms of Amalur and next to no planning is needed.
I look at World of Warcraft, anybody who has played it from start to now will be able to tell you of all the changes, especially recently. You went from needing spreadsheets of data analysis to next to none.

11-05-2012, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I always hated WoW, it's a shitty game for me. But my friends like it and some of them still play older (vanilla ?) versions, not the Leech King, because it is harder and less everything than the newer updates.

I just ended the whole Baldur's Gate 2 last year, after I have started it and stopped somewhere in the middle a few times during last 10 years. Now I have finally managed to get that HUGE game (and expansion) done. There is no way in hell that any new game would be like BG2, or the old Fallouts (1 and 2). But I have a problem with BG2, it is 2nd edition D&D rules, I am used to 3rd and 3.5 editions, so I like Neverwinter 2 more because of it, but BG was still made better, it's only stuck in the old version of D&D rules. If it could be made as it is, only in 3.5 edition, it would be the perfect game.

Stupid modern kids require stupid modern games...

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Yea! Bring back Pong!

16-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Speak what you will, but I started playing Risk 2 and it is by far the best strategy game after Civ 4 was first released. I was playing tournament and it was just impossible to pass level 10. Such an old and stupid game, yet it kept me glued to the chair until 3 AM a few days in a row. Only Civ 3 and 4 were able to do that.

Just one more turn and then I am off to bed, just one more, it's only 5 minutes...

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
16-05-2012, 02:10 AM
(16-05-2012 01:23 AM)Filox Wrote:  Speak what you will, but I started playing Risk 2 and it is by far the best strategy game after Civ 4 was first released. I was playing tournament and it was just impossible to pass level 10. Such an old and stupid game, yet it kept me glued to the chair until 3 AM a few days in a row. Only Civ 3 and 4 were able to do that.

Just one more turn and then I am off to bed, just one more, it's only 5 minutes...

Smile
Look up Europa Universals III, Crusader Kings II, Hearts of Iron III or Victoria II. Steep learning curves but once you do you'll never sleep again.

16-05-2012, 03:27 AM
No thank you, I like my beauty sleep.

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
16-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I guess you're right, afterall you do need every minute of it you can get.

Big Grin Angel

Joking, obviously.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post