Oblivion versus Skyrim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2012, 12:41 AM
RE: Oblivion versus Skyrim
I personally consider Skyrim to be a bit less exciting than Oblivion. Sure they prettied it up a bit, and sure, the mechanics are better, but I personally think that the individual stories for each of the different factions have gone downhill. They improved the main storyline quite a bit, but that's not really what the games are about. Skyrim and Oblivion are supposed to be games where you aren't limited to a single rail, but have hundreds of different quests, side-storylines, and activities offered to you. I personally believe that Skyrim is lacking in the excitement in some of these side activities, and has too much of a sense of seriousness to it. In Oblivion, there were several light-hearted and amusing quests such as the one where you had to cast a spell on the party to make them all naked, the shivering isles, and that one quest where you have to get a man's ring back from a bunch of women whom seduced and robbed him. On top of all this, Skyrim may have better graphics, but Oblivion's scenery is much more amusing to the eye. Rather than a gigantic snow-covered forest wherever you went, Oblivion had a vibrant and colorful environment to it, -PLUS- a bit of that snowy environment you see in Skyrim. I simply don't like being stuck in a blizzard wherever I walk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pppgggr's post
18-05-2012, 03:41 AM
I have yet to play Skyrim. There's a PS3 here and that disc is somewhere - and I have been flapping my gums about my Gwynnies too much - so...

But Oblivion? I couldn't hit shit. The monsters never were where I thought they were. Then there was all this walking around foreverz, and nothing would be happening, then I'd see a wolf or something. And I'm creeping up on the wolf, alla sudden there's these evil wizards creeping up on me... and, fuckered. Tongue

And there was so much, go do this, go do that... I spent more time going back to figure out what I was supposed to be doing than going forward and doing it. Game for geeks, that's what that is. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-05-2012, 10:05 AM
(18-05-2012 03:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I have yet to play Skyrim. There's a PS3 here and that disc is somewhere - and I have been flapping my gums about my Gwynnies too much - so...

But Oblivion? I couldn't hit shit. The monsters never were where I thought they were. Then there was all this walking around foreverz, and nothing would be happening, then I'd see a wolf or something. And I'm creeping up on the wolf, alla sudden there's these evil wizards creeping up on me... and, fuckered. Tongue

And there was so much, go do this, go do that... I spent more time going back to figure out what I was supposed to be doing than going forward and doing it. Game for geeks, that's what that is. Big Grin
Typical old timer can't play a simple video game...
Tongue

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
18-05-2012, 03:30 PM
(18-05-2012 03:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I have yet to play Skyrim. There's a PS3 here and that disc is somewhere - and I have been flapping my gums about my Gwynnies too much - so...

1.) Quest logs. They'll tell you what you're supposed to do, and where. Just open up the menu and head for the map section. The quest logs will be there.

2.)Difficulty Slider. It's in the options and allows you to personalize your difficulty. Rather than easy, medium, and hard, you can set your difficulty in between these things. Don't like being killed so often? Set it all the way down and even a level 1 can slay anything.
11-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Only just started playing skyrim, as for Oblivion Vs Skyrim, I vote Morrowind. Morrowind is just miles better in my view. Its all about the magic system, Morrowinds is more flexible. Oblivions magic system just feels like party tricks in comparisson. Admittedly, you can say that Morrowinds magic system is broken, as you can use it to break the game, but I never found that a problem as Morrowind has alway given me better things to do with my time than break it.

Although Morrowind is certainly old, its graphics are fine it runs like a dream on modern machines, not that Ive seen Skyrim lag out.

Eldar scrolls 1 was pretty fun to Smile, athough I havent played that in years and is probably to dated now although I still play Bards tale occasionally which is roughly the same age.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
22-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I go back and forth between the two. Though, I did play more of, and beat more times, Skyrim than Oblivion. I still play oblivion often though.

My three Skyrim characters hate me for ditching them for my one Oblivion Character. I found it's harder to level up in Obv, depending on the traits you favor. For the same amount of gameplay time, I could level up half again as fast in Skr as I could in Obv.

An issue I do have with Skr, as has been said, is, while the main story is awesome, in comparison to Obv, the side stories in Skr are WAY less complicated. They're almost too easy. I timed it with my new Skr character who is a mage/breton. It took me two hours of gameplay time to become the Archmage, I could just pretty much waltz through everything. He's now a level 9 I think? I have it set on default. Thieves gild takes no time at all and Dark Brotherhood can be completed in about an hour if you fast travel everywhere and don't count the "cutscenes"

Last statement for the differences: Dragons. DRAGONS Well, and graphics if that;s your thing. Oblivion, I found, has more story to everything, Skyrim is made more for people who like to play to win.
23-08-2012, 02:25 AM
We should all go back to playing Morrowind. Just use "Levitate" spell and walk across any obstacle...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-08-2012, 05:32 AM
(18-05-2012 12:41 AM)pppgggr Wrote:  . I simply don't like being stuck in a blizzard wherever I walk.

Clear Skies shout. Smile

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
[+] 1 user Likes futureMACH's post