Oblivion versus Skyrim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 01:30 PM by Superluminal.)
Oblivion versus Skyrim
Okay so, I have so many games lined up to play because they come out faster
than I can play through them with my schedule. I literally have a list
I'm working through.

I was planning on picking up Skyrim, but I
missed Oblivion, so I recently picked up a copy of Oblivion for free
from a friend and spent a couple hours playing it. I have to say, as
someone who is usually very into these types of games, I really can't
get into it. The interface feels pretty clunky, unintuitive, unrefined,
and the gameplay itself feels just horribly awkward.

Is Skyrim pretty much just like Oblivion? Because if so my interest just dropped to around zero.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
RE: Oblivion versus Skyrim
Skyrim has picked up a lot of gameplay mechanics from the Fallout games, which built off of Oblivion. So, Skyrim does feel a lot like Oblivion but it is more polished. They have also simplified some aspects of, which I do and do not like at times and they have changed the leveling system and it now includes perks that are designed to give advantages, similar to Fallout but the perks only pertain to particular skills (like a zoom option for archery or improvement in potion strength). No more zoomed-in views of people's heads for commentary, now they may continue with the tasks they were performing beforehand while you talk to them. The cutscenes are still similar in that they use the game as is and don't do real cutscenes, so NPC interactions are not very realistic looking.

If you aren't feeling very into Oblivion you will probably feel similar towards Skyrim, but you may be able to pick up a cheap version in a few months and find out for yourself. I go back and forth between which I like better, Oblivion or Skyrim.

Evolve
06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
I loved Morrowind, it was great, though now it'd be a bit dated.
I had the same problem with Oblivion you describe.
I tried it out in '06 when it came out but I stopped after 2 hours.
My problem was that it looked too generic... Too normal, and thus: boring.
I picked it back up last year because I was -that- bored Tongue
Did finish it though, master of all guilds, all skills on 100. Achievements on 1000G.
Sold it.
Then I got Skyrim.
Wow.
Bethesda really climbed out of the uncanny valley. They rediscovered stylisation in a convincing fantasy world.
The dragons really felt like giant forces of destruction rampaging towards you. Absolutely loved it.
Finished it, master of all guilds, all skills on 100. Achievements on 1000G.
Not selling this, no way.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
There is such a huge difference between Skyrim and Oblivion I could not play the older game, Oblivion, after beating Skyrim. To say that the games are the same is only true in that the same company made them. I could not play FFIX after playing Final Fantasy X. Graphics are a huge factor for me and you should never go from a newer game to an older one. Now if you have played Oblivion I can see you not liking it if this is the reason. It is a very clunky game especially compared to the newer offering of Skyrim. I recommend watching videos on youtube if nothing else. I loved the game.
07-05-2012, 05:26 AM
(06-05-2012 04:26 PM)jawbraker Wrote:  There is such a huge difference between Skyrim and Oblivion I could not play the older game, Oblivion, after beating Skyrim. To say that the games are the same is only true in that the same company made them. I could not play FFIX after playing Final Fantasy X. Graphics are a huge factor for me and you should never go from a newer game to an older one. Now if you have played Oblivion I can see you not liking it if this is the reason. It is a very clunky game especially compared to the newer offering of Skyrim. I recommend watching videos on youtube if nothing else. I loved the game.

You see, this is the way people who like graphics above all other things talk. You will say that there is no way you will ever play Fallout 1 and 2 because they look horrible (and they do) and you will fail to see how they are still 1000 times more fun and better in any way than F:3 and F:New Vegas will ever be.

Eye candy is not the only thing in a game, but then again, both Oblivion and Skyrim are not that great games, so the eye-candy is much more important there than in some other games.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-05-2012, 04:52 AM
(07-05-2012 05:26 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 04:26 PM)jawbraker Wrote:  There is such a huge difference between Skyrim and Oblivion I could not play the older game, Oblivion, after beating Skyrim. To say that the games are the same is only true in that the same company made them. I could not play FFIX after playing Final Fantasy X. Graphics are a huge factor for me and you should never go from a newer game to an older one. Now if you have played Oblivion I can see you not liking it if this is the reason. It is a very clunky game especially compared to the newer offering of Skyrim. I recommend watching videos on youtube if nothing else. I loved the game.

You see, this is the way people who like graphics above all other things talk. You will say that there is no way you will ever play Fallout 1 and 2 because they look horrible (and they do) and you will fail to see how they are still 1000 times more fun and better in any way than F:3 and F:New Vegas will ever be.

Eye candy is not the only thing in a game, but then again, both Oblivion and Skyrim are not that great games, so the eye-candy is much more important there than in some other games.
As someone who plays a LOT of old games, I completely agree.
Except old FPS games, they just suck so much. But RTS and RPG's are still really really good considering because you couldn't really rely on graphics you had to rely more on story or game mechanics.

As for Skyrim v Oblivion, I would say Skyrim is the better game. Not just because of the graphics but it does do away with a lot of useless pointless skills. Acrobatics to name one, athletics to name another. They are pointless and don't add to the game. I think Skyrim takes all that was good about Oblivion, story, open world, lots to do, and just refines every aspect of it. It is just the better game.
Plus the modding is fantastic as to be expected. If you're into that.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
08-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Could not get into Skyrim....what are my chances of getting into Oblivion...honestly?

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
(08-05-2012 02:30 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Could not get into Skyrim....what are my chances of getting into Oblivion...honestly?
Not good. They are very similar in a lot of ways.

There are 2 ways of looking at it.
Option 1) Skyrim is a more well-polished game that simplified unnecessary aspects of Oblivion and produced a fun and more realistic RPG
or
Option 2) Skyrim is more well-polished but oversimplified some aspects of the game (like potion making and enchanting) and while it improved some aspects (like character dialogue in-game) it didn't address the issue of cutscenes still looking markedly unrealistic as a result of using the in-game characters in them.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of them, but some days I go through moods of liking one more than the other (excluding obvious advances in areas like graphics).

Evolve
08-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Plus oblivion is less action packed. A lot of walking between areas and nothing in between. Skyrim you walk from one place to another and if you explore every nearby thing you'll take literally hours to get to your destination that you could have got to on the back of a carriage in 2seconds.

And I wouldn't say it's oversimplified. I thought it would leading up to it's release, that it would dumb things down but after playing it you relies that the things removed never added anything into the game to begin with. Such as acrobatics and athletics, two extremely pointless skills. You don't need to be spending hours guessing what ingredients to mix to get whatever potion, it doesn't add anything to game but annoyance. AND if you do enjoy that there is still Oblivion. It doesn't so much simplify as it does refine, cut away at the fat, so to speak, to leave one hot lass.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
09-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I liked acrobatics and athletics, it made you jump more, jump from higher points without damage and run faster. I was using that a lot, so these skills were not that pointless. I guess it depends on the way you play

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson