Observational Faith vs Historical Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 10:24 AM
RE: Observational Faith vs Historical Faith
Clever spin on the Ham sandwich - I like it. Shoveling the same crap he throws around right back on top of him.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
12-11-2014, 10:41 AM
(12-11-2014 10:15 AM)photon9 Wrote:  Fail troll is fail.

Looks like somebody didn't get the joke...

... this is my signature!
12-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Re: RE: Observational Faith vs Historical Faith
(12-11-2014 10:41 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 10:15 AM)photon9 Wrote:  Fail troll is fail.

Looks like somebody didn't get the joke...
Heheh. My satire meter needs to recharge!
12-11-2014, 02:35 PM
None of the people who wrote the gospels were there, so Christ didn't happen. Checkmate theists!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2014, 02:40 PM
(12-11-2014 10:15 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Since when did faith need any support?

Since it was reasoned faith, not blind faith.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2014, 10:31 PM
The satire is spinning too fast. I'm getting dizzy.

Faith is the paper airplane you sat on and still believe that you can pilot it around the world.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-11-2014, 02:03 AM
(13-11-2014 10:31 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The satire is spinning too fast. I'm getting dizzy.

Faith is the paper airplane you sat on and still believe that you can pilot it around the world.

Okay, now I'm trying to figure out how to make a good, very-high-surface-area glider out of paper-based fiberglass. With the right software to track weather and likely updrafts, it might be possible to stay airborne indefinitely for a circumnavigational flight.

.... it might help in my efforts if I had more science classes than introductory physical geography, introductory astronomy, and introductory physics.

My point is, your metaphor isn't nearly implausible and uncool enough.
14-11-2014, 03:51 AM
(12-11-2014 07:54 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 07:45 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've never understood Hamies argument...

It's just a way to get to the "Were you there?" nonsense. If you didn't see it happen then your opinion about what occurred is no more valid than his so his "faith" is as justified as your evidence.

which is why "where you there when god created everything?" is so much fun to use Smartass

you their own nonsense against them is so satisfying
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
14-11-2014, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2014 07:41 AM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
(13-11-2014 02:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 10:15 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Since when did faith need any support?

Since it was reasoned faith, not blind faith.
I'm just drawing attention to the fact that I liked this because I thought it was amusingly wrongheaded not because I agreed with the sentiment.
(14-11-2014 03:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 07:54 AM)unfogged Wrote:  It's just a way to get to the "Were you there?" nonsense. If you didn't see it happen then your opinion about what occurred is no more valid than his so his "faith" is as justified as your evidence.

which is why "where you there when god created everything?" is so much fun to use Smartass

you their own nonsense against them is so satisfying
Hypothetical counter arguement to petty but amusing waste of time in response to the "Were you there" question; Yes. Yes I was.

Your birth certificate and records? They weren't dictated by god and so can't be true if they conflict with what actually happened.

Your parents? Placed there by god to test their faith in your word.

Other people? It's anecdotal evidence.

Your apparent age? The dating methods they're using to test it isn't relyable. They've certainly never seen a person as old as you and so the diagnostic traits they have for other people don't apply.

How did you manage that? You're eternal. You were non-existant with god and an invisible pink unicorn by the name of Ted.

Why do you not have insight to the world beyond somebody who was born and raised in the time period all of the above claims you're from; it's not your fault. It's theirs for misinterperateing you

In any case none of that matters; the testing methods they're using rely on historical science. They can't prove any of their hypothisi as they're using historical science. It's in the past. You can't prove any thing and can only rely on the word of somebody who was there.

And they can trust that you were there because you said so and you never lie. They know you never lie because you said you never lie.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 4 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post