Observations about America through a server's eyes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2012, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 11:38 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Observations about America through a server's eyes
Warning: if you're the type to be easily offended, this thread will probably piss you off.

So I've been a server/waiter off and on for close to a decade and you see the same things so often that they become expected. My younger sister has also served in about 4 restaurants so it's not just me. And here's what any server will tell you:

Americans are an obese people.

We have sections with movable tables that at one point I'm sure were designed for people in wheelchairs or with mobility problems. But at this point in our society, the sections are referred to as "The Fat Sections." I'd say roughly 1 out of every 5 people that walks through the door is too fat to fit in a normal sized booth. Usually wearing sweat pants and sweating Ranch dressing.

Black people don't tip.

I'll wait for all the white people to stop going, "Whoa whoa! This guy! This guy's racist!" How many times does something have to repeatedly happen before it stops being a stereotype and starts being true? Even the black servers hate black tables. With white folk, I expect 15-20% (unless they're wearing a sleeveless Nascar t-shirt) and with black folk, I expect anywhere from 0-5% tip. Black people are also the most likely to refuse to pay gratuity with large parties.

...and speaking of black people.

Black people only come out after dark.

The day starts off with old people, usually because they're going to bed at 7 pm. Then the rest of the white people, then around 9 pm the black people start coming in. Then usually 5 minutes to close, 3 different groups of black people will come in. Like every night, a minute or two before we lock the doors, black people will come in and order a Porterhouse steak "cooked well well done, but not burnt." It's amazing how likely this is to happen.

Most people can't do math.

And I'm not talking Riemann sums, I'm talking simple addition. Soooo many times, I'll get the receipt back and it will look something like this:

Subtotal: 18.72
Tip: 3.75
Total: 21.00

And you'll look at it twice and go WTF? And the crappy part is, most restaurants make you adjust in the customer's favor. So you would only get a 2.28 tip out of the above.

Only 25% of people are decent human beings.

The rest are assholes, retards, self-centered, or looking to get free food by complaining about everything, including the hair in their food that clearly came from their own head. If you are somewhat respectful to your server and tip at least 15%, you are a rarity and your server appreciates it. So many people on their phones, staying 2 hours past close, and "don't believe in tipping."

Any other server experience out there?

Edit: I feel like I wasn't offensive enough, so let me make one more point about black people, since anyone who's ever served becomes an instant racist for obvious reasons.

Black people have no class.

That one make you flinch did it? This is more likely a regional thing (Columbus, OH) than anything, but black people tend to wear wife beaters to a restaurant, walk around talking to other tables, and make the women they are out with pay the bill. Yesterday, two guys (one wearing a pink hat with shoelaces on it) got into a fist fight and had to be walked out. This is at Outback Steakhouse by the way. There. Now there should be some tension in here.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
17-02-2012, 11:40 PM
RE: Observations about America through a server's eyes
Mmm, me thinking "nest" and "hornets"
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Dude this kind of experience comes from all aspects of the service industry. The common denominator being having to see a lot of people every day.

I used to work non commission sales and after a few years doing it my faith in humanity was completely gone.
Ive never had the issue with black people but where I'm from black people are rather rare. We are a nice split between white people and an assortment of Asians. I had most of my biggest issues with the white folk. But they were just jerks for he most part, the guys who bugged me the most were the pakistani gentlemen. Not to be racist. I just got really sick of being asked for a deal every five minutes. From the same guy. After I've already politely said no.
But yeah the white people were just plain jerks for the most part, especially the women who came in. Wow.
I think the problem is really me.
I'm not a very patient person though I've gotten better since having my kid, but my tolerance especially for stupidity is rather low.
The amount of shit one person working in the service industry eats on any given day is ridiculous. Especially considering the pay.
Everyone should have to do it for a year every five or so because I think it would make them better customers.
I know that I am personally the best customer like ever, and this is entirely because of my service experience.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
18-02-2012, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2012 10:54 PM by aurora.)
The 'tipping' aspect of serving here in Australia isn't the same as in America. The tip is only given if one thinks the service and food are above par as it's usually the restaurant/cafe that takes the tip (probably because the servers/waiters are paid more, I guess).

I do agree, however, with the public being total arseholes most of the time thinking that they are better than you Angry
I've been in the 'customer service/internal sales' industry most of my working life and have dealt with some fucking doozies! As I have obtained a 'certificate III in customer contact' I generally know how to deal with these types but having said that, there have definitely been some I would've like to have taken 'outside' for a little talk with my fist.
I find that by getting people to talk about themselves or complimenting them I find you can turn a bad experience into a better one - doesn't always work, though.
The most frustrating part (here in Australia as we are so 'multi-cultural') is actually understanding what they're saying, especially over the phone.
Yes, it can test your patience to the max!

As lucradis said, it definitely makes you a better customer after dealing with so many horror-heads.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
18-02-2012, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2012 12:33 AM by Buddy Christ.)
To clarify my specific racism, I am absolutely prejudice, in that I will pre-judge based on appearance. But I don't discriminate, aka I treat everyone the same (like assholes) until they prove themselves differently. To not be prejudice seems counterproductive to survival. If I see an angry Middle Eastern man looking nervous riding a crowded bus, it's probably in my best interest to get off at the next stop, regardless of whose feelings I hurt or how "socially unacceptable" it is.

I'll gladly go out to eat with my black friends, but I'll ridicule the shit out of them when the time comes to order food and they get chicken and ribs and a fruit punch.

And I noticed when I lived in Germany that most waiters were paid full wages and looked at you funny when you left a tip. Americans seem to think that if servers aren't working for tips, they will ignore their tables. But with any job, performing poorly and getting lots of complaints will get you fired, so what'd the worry?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
18-02-2012, 04:54 PM
For some reason I thought this was going to be about observations about America through the eyes of a Serviceman. Your topic takes on a whole new flavor. Wink

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
18-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I work in customer service but I'm in a supermarket.

The biggest frustration in my life is middle-class white people who think they're upper-class. They do my head in Angry! They look at you like you're hardly human and they don't think they should have to do anything for themselves. For example if I'm working a till and a customer comes over with loads of shopping I'll process it and then help them pack, if someone is physically struggling to pack their shopping I'll help them pack. But when some jumped up prick in his mid-forties stands there and watches me scan his five small items, watches them slide down to right next to the pile of bags and does nothing then at the end of the transaction then makes some rude comment about how his bags haven't been packed he can fuck off! Why should I hold up other people because he's a lazy asshole? I had some bitch do that a few weeks ago, made no effort to bag her three items (I could see that she was waiting for me to do it, made me twice as determined not to), and then after the transaction she goes to me in a pissed off tone 'I used to work for the co-op and when I worked there we bagged the customers shopping for them'. I told her 'when I go to tesco I bag my own stuff instead of expecting someone else to do it for me'. Her face was classic Big Grin.

There's my rant about customer service over, I enjoyed that.

Closer to the original point, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually love serving Americans. English people just seem to have the same word-for-word conversation at every checkout they go through in life. Whereas with Americans they do actually seem to have proper conversations with you, they also seem dead friendly as well.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
18-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Oh, wow. And I felt bad when I asked a waiter to reheat my food because it was a bit cold.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
18-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow. I've never been to an Outback restaurant... I had no idea they could be so... entertaining. Shy

Most people can't do math. - That's a given. - However, I've also encountered the same from cashiers ... which is why I very rarely eat at a fast food hole.

Americans are an obese people. Duh.

Black people have no class. I don't have television so... dinning out is my entertainment.

Black people don't tip. Don't know and/or can't remember ... it's been thirty years since I worked in the food service industry.

Black people only come out after dark. Me too... how am I missing all these entertaining, non-tipping, black people?

Only 25% of people are decent human beings. Ha - you obviously haven't been to Walmart ... it's more like 4%.

Still we beat on, boats against the current...
Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Alright, to continually counterbalance the uncomfortable racist vibe I'm putting out, here's another one I remember from working today (Sunday).

Jesus lovers don't tip.

My fellow atheist server buddy had a Jesus table today and he asked them how they wanted their steak cooked. They said, "Medium. Now I have a question for you. Do you know Jesus? When's the last time you went to church?" You get a lot of these tables that offer to pray for you or save your soul if you want them to. They suck at being a normal human being, leave a prayer card and a 5% tip (must have given it all to Jesus), and then try to convert you. Which sucks because you can't be honest with these people if you want to keep your job.

[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post