Observations about America through a server's eyes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2012, 01:57 PM
RE: Observations about America through a server's eyes
You make a valid point. Although existence is relative to the viewer. Clearly you are a being that exists, whether you are the being that was previously known as BnW, only BnW knows. However as far as the BnW I perceive you appear the same as the one previous. I never knew the physical BnW, therefore you could actually have been an apparition or even a hallucination only I have witnessed.
Much the same way people claim to have seen god and this is their proof of his existence. It doesn't prove the existence to others, but to the witness it is absolute.
Thereby I claim your existence and will invariably create a religion that worships you, and kills for you.
I am bored.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, it's me. The same me that used to post here semi-regularly. And, now that I'm dropping in, a new religion to worship me seems like an appropriate response. As for the killing for me, I've got a list I've been working on that I hope can get priority.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
23-02-2012, 12:18 AM
(21-02-2012 01:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  Btw, I would kill my kids if either of them ever acted the way you are describing. Absolutely unacceptable.

Speaking of kids... my buddy was serving a black table (excuse me... African-Americans Who Were Actually Born in America So They Are Technically Just Americans With a Different Skin Color) and a 12 year old kid goes, "Yo, I want a fucking Sundae man!" to the him (the server). So he looks at the mother in disbelief waiting for her to discipline the child and she goes, "Well? Get him a fucking Sundae."

It was so awesome that we still talk about it a week later.

Sidenote: Good to see you around here still, BnW. You were one of 2 people that I liked back in the day (was the other one Stark? I'll never tell... actually I will, it was Gaglamesh). Would love to see more of you in here.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
23-02-2012, 12:39 AM
I just couldn’t do your job, I’d go fucking mental with an Uzi during some holiday rush.
That kid needed a dose of something that lives in the deep end of the periodic table in his shake.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
23-02-2012, 04:10 AM
I have worked in a call center for a year. That was car rental. And of course I had a lot of assholes who think they have a right to scream at you because you are not face to face with them.
You know those customers you will never forget for some reason?
Let me tell you about one.
I took international calls so one day an American called.
He wanted to rent a car in high season.
He seemed pretty nice the whole call.
So what did he want.
Rent in Germany, fat ass mercedes, automatic (automatic is not common in germany therefore more expensive to rent), he wanted extra insurance, extra gps although that model had one in built, he wanted like everything he could get and he wanted the car for like 2 weeks.
Of course in the end the price was totally over the top. And I was always the type of agent who will then offer better alternatives and usually my customers got exactly what they wanted. I usually always found a discount or another way to make the price reasonable for what they wanted.
But this one heard the price "Wow I don't want to buy a car! For that money I can drive my own car from US to Germany". And before I could offer anything he dropped the call. o.O

I could tell stories...
Though overall I like my US customers, they are usually pretty nice on the phone.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
23-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Working in retail or customer service is horrible. I feel you BC... I've been there. Your.... ummm... stereotypes aren't stereotypes... they're true.

Anyway, I feel it should be a law that every American work at least a year in either retail, as a server, or in customer service. America would instantly be a better place to live.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Some of the disparity in tipping behaviors is due to education on tipping, but according to one study (see below) this is only about 30%. There are other factors that come into play and might be things like social pressures, but it has to be studied to determine exactly what the reasons are. From reading a slew of websites, it's likely not due to racism on the part of the customer, so that can probably be ruled out since for a huge majority of the time it doesn't matter the race of the server. Personally I think education has to be done first and the rest will come as we get more data or as society changes.. Plus, for restaurants, there should always be a policy of large groups where the gratuity is added on the checks regardless of who it is. Granted this may cause some parties to not tip more even when they normally would because they are already paying tip in the check, but I think it's a step in the right direction either way.

tipping study

a website talking about it also

Article by Linda S. Wallace

I can't say much beyond the studies. If there are more current studies people are aware of then please post them.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
23-02-2012, 09:14 AM
ok this is not from US but from Germany when I was working in a bakery.
Two things

First one:
When I had just started there and I already knew prices and how to use the cashier an old man came on a very busy morning. And all he did was looking at me and nodding and shrugging. And I was a bit puzzled but asked him what he would like his answer in a very unfriendly tone "What do YOU think I want, same as always of course!" I told him I am new I don't know what that is, but he refused to tell me what he wants (i say again it was busy). At some point a coworker came to me and helped me out. So it happened to be the case that this guy even brought a bag everyday when he picked up the food he wanted. So when he entered normally someone would start packing his bag and he would give the exact amount of money.

Second one:
This was actually cool! A woman bought a bred for like 1,50 Euro, she gave me 5 euro and rushed away, when I shouted behind her that she forgot her change but she was like "it's ok" O.O Like that was one expensive bread and one great tip! Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)