Observer, question about serial killers
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 06:55 AM by satan69.)
Observer, question about serial killers
Observer, I read your story about coming face to face with a serial killer. People think they can spot a killer when they meet one. As if they will have a swastika on their forehead and act like Manson. In hindsight, is there anything about his appearance or personality that you think should have tipped you off. When I was in my early 20's, I lived in a apartment complex and helped a new guy move some of his furniture . He had a nice girlfriend and her daughter living with him. Anyway, a few months later he was hauled off by the cops. He was wanted for a few murders in another state. I think it was 3 people which I think is the definition of a serial killer. He was the NICEST guy. There was NO WAY I could tell this guy could have killed me when I was in his apartment. I think the reason some serial killers get away with murders for a long time is they catch people off gaurd. You just don't think they will turn like that.

The bottom line is people judge others by their appearance. You never know what is in the mind of another person. You don't know what someones childhood was like. People meet you for 10 minutes and assume they know you. Let me tell you, you really don't know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2012, 06:25 AM
RE: Observer, question about serial killers
I think it depends on the "killer type"

If it's a real psychopath it might be really difficult to catch him. Because they have a completely different wiring in their emotions and that's difficult to see.

If the killer is a good actor you might also miss some signs, because he knows how to hide them.

You might be able to spot a killer that actually does feel guilty for it. Who had a good reason to kill but deep down knows that the law says he has to go to jail for it.

The only killer you might be able to spot fast might be the guy that smiles at you and just now decides that he will kill you - just that's too late.

just my two cents

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I was under the impression that sociopaths/psychopaths were, by definition, very deceptive and very capable of putting on a convincing act.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
They do Hughsie...

The "case" I met (I cant make me to call him guy/man/person. But that’s just my emotion responding) was not only a killer but also a crook and a thieve. Later we found out that he knew all the tricks of the trade to gain the trust of my parents.

My legal advisor says, such persons often respond to "levels" on which she means that they can suddenly switch over from one moral level to an other with the severity of their crimes escalating over time.

This is what happened...
Upon leaving, my mother came out of the garage waving goodbye to me. she stood about 30 meters from me. Next to her, a man exited the garage as well. My mother referred to him as "their guest" and said to him that I was their youngest. He looked at me and said hi. He was rather tall but since my mother is quite small, I couldn’t really tell. He was dressed like a hiker. If you want to try and for an idea on how he looked like: he looked a bit like Jean-claude Van Damme. (weird hu?)

To respond to the OP.
No. Apart from the rather elaborated story he told my parents, there wasn’t really something special about him. Since it’s not the first time travellers lodging in at my parents B&B had unusual story's, it didn’t really seem suspicious.

Both me and my dad have a condition called HSP which enables us to get more information out of a situation the average person does. If there was something out of place, we would have noticed it. It could not prevent it, but it certainly became in handy at my police testimony.

Believe me, If I'd noticed something weird, I’d told them. Upon leaving the street, I had a chance to run over him as well. I would have happily dragged him a few Km behind my car if would have know what he was up to.

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post