Obsolete and/or Useless Talents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: Obsolete and/or Useless Talents
(10-04-2015 05:08 PM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 10:51 AM)pablo Wrote:  I can rebuild a carburetor. It's not useless, but it's definitely not in high demand.

Double or single barrel? I rebuilt a double barrel when I was 19 Big Grin

Either one. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
10-04-2015, 05:27 PM
(10-04-2015 05:11 PM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 01:57 PM)Exian Wrote:  I can lick my elbow. I've deconverted many a theist with that closing argument.

I have tried in vain. Video or it didn't happen lol

Ha Man, I don't know if I want that committed to video. I may want to run for mayor some day.

"My name's Exian, and I know what elbow tastes like. Exian '35"
[+] 4 users Like Exian's post
10-04-2015, 05:30 PM
LOL... WOman here Tongue You must have short arms or a really really long tongue. Everyone I know, has never been able to do that although my oldest daughter can stick the tip of her tongue IN her nose. Yeah I know it's gross, but she can do it.
10-04-2015, 05:30 PM
(10-04-2015 05:02 PM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  I can tell you that the color of your notebook is blue, in Spanish. Learned that 30 years ago in 7th grade.
I can still remember how to make a whopper from my days working at Burger King, when I was a teenager.
I type 93 words per minute.

And this isn't useless or obsolete but I am tri-lingual. I speak Italian (I can't read or write it though), English and I use American Sign Language

Hi, language nerd here.

Do you mean you speak them natively or you learned them consequently?

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
10-04-2015, 05:36 PM
(10-04-2015 05:30 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 05:02 PM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  I can tell you that the color of your notebook is blue, in Spanish. Learned that 30 years ago in 7th grade.
I can still remember how to make a whopper from my days working at Burger King, when I was a teenager.
I type 93 words per minute.

And this isn't useless or obsolete but I am tri-lingual. I speak Italian (I can't read or write it though), English and I use American Sign Language

Hi, language nerd here.

English and Italian are native. I learned both when I was a baby/toddler - grew up in a bi-lingual home. I've had to re-learn Italian after not being allowed to speak it after I hit kindergarten. I went to school refusing to speak English and the teachers could not understand me. My horrid mother put a stop to my grandfather and father speaking to me in Italian. They say if you don't use it, you lose it and lose it I did. I'm 43 now and have been slowly re-teaching myself and teaching my children. My grandfather died 25 years ago and my father died 20 years ago to the exact day as his dad.

As for Sign language, it was done out of necessity. My oldest has down syndrome and autism and has a very severe speech impediment. Signing is much easier for her. She and I both started learning when she was 20 months old.
[+] 1 user Likes Judi Lynn's post
10-04-2015, 05:50 PM
(10-04-2015 05:36 PM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 05:30 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Hi, language nerd here.

English and Italian are native. I learned both when I was a baby/toddler - grew up in a bi-lingual home. I've had to re-learn Italian after not being allowed to speak it after I hit kindergarten. I went to school refusing to speak English and the teachers could not understand me. My horrid mother put a stop to my grandfather and father speaking to me in Italian. They say if you don't use it, you lose it and lose it I did. I'm 43 now and have been slowly re-teaching myself and teaching my children. My grandfather died 25 years ago and my father died 20 years ago to the exact day as his dad.

As for Sign language, it was done out of necessity. My oldest has down syndrome and autism and has a very severe speech impediment. Signing is much easier for her. She and I both started learning when she was 20 months old.

Interesting, thank you for the explanation. I'd like to learn a sign language, I'm intrigued by the idea.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
10-04-2015, 06:09 PM
I can do a Rubik's cube really fast. Not fast enough to win money but fast enough to impress normal people.

I'm very flexible for a 200 pound middle aged male.

When I was in 3rd grade, I memorized all US presidents and the years they took and left office in order to win a classroom game show type event. I still remember them. Memorization techniques are cool like that.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-04-2015, 06:10 PM
(10-04-2015 04:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I can sew...hand and machine. No one much seems to care any more. Undecided

That's a very useful skill. One I wish I had.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
10-04-2015, 06:17 PM
(10-04-2015 10:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I know morse code - and at one time got my high speed certificate - receiving 50 wpm and sending 35. (they didn't test sending higher than that.)

NSA still has morse operators. 99% of the time they just sit listening to random noise that might be morse code. I'd kill myself in like 8 minutes.

'Murican Canadian
10-04-2015, 06:23 PM
(10-04-2015 05:30 PM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  LOL... WOman here Tongue You must have short arms or a really really long tongue. Everyone I know, has never been able to do that although my oldest daughter can stick the tip of her tongue IN her nose. Yeah I know it's gross, but she can do it.

My sister can do that! Nope, nothing as...uh, useful as a really really long tongue, just flexible shoulder tendons. Gotta grab the elbow and jam that shoulder as far back as it'll go. It looks as cool as that sounds, ladies.
[+] 1 user Likes Exian's post