Occupy the Interstate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Occupy the Interstate
In an effort to draw attention to police related violence, protesters are leaving organized protests and blocking traffic on the interstate. Apparently, thousands of people did this on I-40 in Memphis. The ariticle says that this is being employed in other areas as well.

Personally, I think that all, not just black lives matter but these guys are just being super assholes at this point. By putting themselves at risk of being hit by a driver who may or may not be racist (it depends who it is apparently) they are also putting others at risk by causing police to not be able to respond to a domestic call or whatnot. Way to lose whatever high ground you had. I have a feeling this isn't helping their cause.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-07-2016, 07:53 AM
RE: Occupy the Interstate
(11-07-2016 07:39 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  In an effort to draw attention to police related violence, protesters are leaving organized protests and blocking traffic on the interstate. Apparently, thousands of people did this on I-40 in Memphis. The ariticle says that this is being employed in other areas as well.

Personally, I think that all, not just black lives matter but these guys are just being super assholes at this point. By putting themselves at risk of being hit by a driver who may or may not be racist (it depends who it is apparently) they are also putting others at risk by causing police to not be able to respond to a domestic call or whatnot. Way to lose whatever high ground you had. I have a feeling this isn't helping their cause.

BTM?

(BlackTop Matters)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Gawdzilla's post
11-07-2016, 12:54 PM
It happened in Minnesota also, my cousins said.
They severely injured a cop, throwing shit from an overpass.
http://www.kare11.com/news/102-arrested-.../268434384
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-07-2016, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 06:58 PM by cactus.)
If you're protesting, and you block traffic/ building entrances/ create fire hazards/ break noise restrictions/ etc and end up getting arrested, then unless you're breaking a clearly bullshit law, like Rosa Parks sitting her ass down wherever she damn well pleases, then you're fucking doing it wrong, and you have absolutely nothing to be proud of when you get hauled away in handcuffs. That is not the sign of a successful protest. It's not a badge of honor. It means you fucking failed, and you need to re-evaluate your priorities and learn from your stupidity. Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
11-07-2016, 08:14 PM
This black lives matter shit is ridiculous.
They're not helping their cause in the slightest, hindering it even. The only ones that have created racial tension at this point is the media and black people doing it themselves.

Unarmed black people and white people are killed by cops at the exact same percentage rate.
The biggest killer of black people is other black people. The issue isn't white people it's black culture glorifying gang culture and shit and constant use of the victim card without actually doing anything civilized about it.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
11-07-2016, 08:33 PM
It's easy to break up one of those things. Dump a few gallons of ammonia (accidentally) upwind of them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2016, 11:18 PM
From what I've read on posts by my black activist (Blacktivist?) friends, the point of closing down the interstates (etc) is to get noticed, specifically by inconveniencing the people who would prefer that blacks "go through proper channels" in their protests, where (the activists feel) they can be safely ignored while being able to "vent their frustrations" and feel they're accomplishing something without actually accomplishing anything.

In other words, they feel "this shit is still going on, so we'd better make more noise", and closing down the highways and inconveniencing all those commuters is a sure way to do that.

However, it does seem to backfire into resentment from the people they need as allies, making it a poor choice of tactic, IMHO. I suspect that's why you don't see the police being quite as brutal in shutting those down as you do elsewhere.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-07-2016, 12:41 AM
(11-07-2016 08:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Unarmed black people and white people are killed by cops at the exact same percentage rate.

Source?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-07-2016, 03:57 AM
(11-07-2016 11:18 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  From what I've read on posts by my black activist (Blacktivist?) friends, the point of closing down the interstates (etc) is to get noticed, specifically by inconveniencing the people who would prefer that blacks "go through proper channels" in their protests, where (the activists feel) they can be safely ignored while being able to "vent their frustrations" and feel they're accomplishing something without actually accomplishing anything.

In other words, they feel "this shit is still going on, so we'd better make more noise", and closing down the highways and inconveniencing all those commuters is a sure way to do that.

However, it does seem to backfire into resentment from the people they need as allies, making it a poor choice of tactic, IMHO. I suspect that's why you don't see the police being quite as brutal in shutting those down as you do elsewhere.

I agree, that is probably the thinking of the protesters. Free speech and rallies may at times be inconvenient to the public, but that inconvenience is incidental to the participants' exercise of free speech rights, not the entire purpose of those activities. The right to free speech does not entitle one to force someone to listen. Interfering with others' rights so that they pay attention is not a protected right--there is no protected right to be heard.
12-07-2016, 04:28 AM
(12-07-2016 12:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 08:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Unarmed black people and white people are killed by cops at the exact same percentage rate.

Source?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/...ings-2016/

515 shot and killed by police in 2016. (so far)
35 unarmed (7%).
18 white + unarmed (3%)
12 black + unarmed (2%)

These stats do not show a pandemic of cops killing unarmed blacks.

Black on black crime is by FAR the larger issue.

[Image: oscar.png]