Occupy the Interstate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2016, 04:52 AM
RE: Occupy the Interstate
(11-07-2016 07:39 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  In an effort to draw attention to police related violence, protesters are leaving organized protests and blocking traffic on the interstate. Apparently, thousands of people did this on I-40 in Memphis. The ariticle says that this is being employed in other areas as well.

Personally, I think that all, not just black lives matter but these guys are just being super assholes at this point. By putting themselves at risk of being hit by a driver who may or may not be racist (it depends who it is apparently) they are also putting others at risk by causing police to not be able to respond to a domestic call or whatnot. Way to lose whatever high ground you had. I have a feeling this isn't helping their cause.

Oh bullshit, don't hand me that crap. If someone hits them, don't tell me that would be an "accident". You must not be paying attention to the long term history of this country and the bad treatment of blacks in it's history. Do not tell me that slavery, lynchings, the brutality of treatment of cops during the 60s, and even all the dead blacks today. I don't know how old you are but what they are responding to has been going on for decades.

It's called civil disobedience. If you think sitting in traffic for a half an hour or an hour is a crime, you are being totally insensitive and tone deaf to why they are doing it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2016, 04:54 AM
FYI that tactic is being used now all over the nation, I would suggest the nation start listening instead of blaming.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
12-07-2016, 06:24 AM
(12-07-2016 04:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 12:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Source?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/...ings-2016/

515 shot and killed by police in 2016. (so far)
35 unarmed (7%).
18 white + unarmed (3%)
12 black + unarmed (2%)

These stats do not show a pandemic of cops killing unarmed blacks.

Black on black crime is by FAR the larger issue.

Interesting stats.

It looks like the police are on target to beat last year's quota. Pun intended.

It also seems to make sense to be unarmed.

I wonder if that tells Murikans something?

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
12-07-2016, 06:30 AM
(12-07-2016 06:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 04:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/...ings-2016/

35 unarmed (7%).
18 white + unarmed (3%)
12 black + unarmed (2%)

Interesting stats.

Dodgy

It's like the weather ...One hot day doesn't make "global warming"....

I prefer to carry a gun. It's my right, it's my privilege.

I've yet to have an officer take offense that I'm carrying.

More often - I've had some nice conversations with them about the merits of different styles and calibers........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-07-2016, 07:38 AM
The very nature of protest is to disrupt the natural order of business and force the focus of the community (and the wider world) onto your issue. To retain the "moral high ground" as the OP put it, this should be done with the least collateral damage possible. But from sit-ins at lunch counters to marching across bridges, disrupting "business as usual" is the entire point. I'm not saying I agree with the message or even the tactics. But if you're trying to advocate for justice and equal treatment for your group, you're under zero obligation to the majority to ensure your protest is courteous, polite, and convenient. Non-violent, yes. Well-mannered and non-disruptive? Nope.
12-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Off load a couple large trailers full of cattle and herd them through the protesters or tear gas.

Personally I like a good running of the bulls.

If you want to change laws, change the powers the police have, then vote on it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
12-07-2016, 08:19 AM
The tactic of blocking roads as a form of protest does one thing --- it pisses off the people wanting to use the road..

Don't expect people who are pissed off at you to be sympathetic to your cause....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-07-2016, 08:26 AM
(12-07-2016 04:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/...ings-2016/

35 unarmed (7%).
18 white + unarmed (3%)
12 black + unarmed (2%)

Interesting stats.

Dodgy

At a minimum, it should mean "don't point a gun at a fucking cop". Or something like that Smile
[+] 3 users Like BryanS's post
12-07-2016, 08:45 AM

35 unarmed (7%).
18 white + unarmed (3%)
12 black + unarmed (2%)

Interesting stats.

Dodgy

BULL FUCKING SHIT, Whites also kill other whites more than any other. That "blacks kill blacks more" implies that most blacks are violent. ANOTHER BULLSHIT DODGE.

It STILL remains that blacks are hurt at a higher rate by our justice system and economic inequality.

If everybody, both whites and blacks, say race should NOT be an issue, I am sorry, it does not have to be all whites, but far too many whites are tone deaf to a very real problem, and if you think it is simply all in their head, you are full of shit.

Now, outside of the is issue, the same can be said with any issue. If there were no problems at all, nobody would be bitching, but the fact that people are, means a problem does exist. Humans don't get confrontational if they have resources and stability. If you think blacks are upset for no good reason, that is simply absurd, asinine and flat out ignorant.

It is the same with other species too. When an ecosystem is balanced it remains stable, but if one aspect of it gets lopsided, the system becomes more unstable.

12-07-2016, 10:28 AM
(12-07-2016 08:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The tactic of blocking roads as a form of protest does one thing --- it pisses off the people wanting to use the road..

Don't expect people who are pissed off at you to be sympathetic to your cause....

I'm not saying it's a good tactic or an effective tactic. I'm just saying, if I was part of a minority group with a long history of being denied basic civil rights within a certain society, I would feel no obligation whatsoever to that society to curtsy while I request my equality in a manner they find constructive and polite.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post