Octopus' Skin uses Same Mechanism as Eyes to Detect Light

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Octopus' Skin uses Same Mechanism as Eyes to Detect Light
So I thought this was interesting. I figure you guys will too Big Grin

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...193953.htm

Quote:Seeing without eyes: Octopus's skin possesses the same cellular mechanism for detecting light as its eyes do

[Image: 150520193953_1_540x360.jpg]

The skin of the California two-spot octopus can sense light even without input from the central nervous system. The animal does so by using the same family of light-sensitive proteins called opsins found in its eyes -- a process not previously described for cephalopods.

Quote:"Octopus skin doesn't sense light in the same amount of detail as the animal does when it uses its eyes and brain," said lead author Desmond Ramirez, a doctoral student in the Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology (EEMB). "But it can sense an increase or change in light. Its skin is not detecting contrast and edge but rather brightness."

As part of the experiment, Ramirez shone white light on the tissue, which caused the chromatophores to expand and change color. When the light was turned off, the chromatophores relaxed and the skin returned to its original hue.

This process, Ramirez noted, suggests that light sensors are connected to the chromatophores and that this enables a response without input from the brain or eyes. He and his co-author, Todd Oakley, an EEMB professor, dubbed the process Light-Activated Chromatophore Expansion (LACE).

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Helen_Damnation's post
21-05-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: Octopus' Skin uses Same Mechanism as Eyes to Detect Light
Very cool. I also thought it was interesting that they use their skin as camouflage and as a way to communicate with each other.
21-05-2015, 07:15 PM
That's pretty neat.

Wanted to say....I really enjoy your posts Helen-Damnation. You're pretty OKThumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-05-2015, 08:33 PM
(21-05-2015 07:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wanted to say....I really enjoy your posts Helen-Damnation. You're pretty OKThumbsup

Thanks! I really like this forum. Everyone's so nice and helpful Blush It's also nice to have a place to go where I can find like-minded people. They're very few and far between where I live Confused

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
21-05-2015, 08:36 PM
The octopus is essentially coated with photodiodes.