Odd Pizza Ideas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 03:27 PM
RE: Odd Pizza Ideas
(20-07-2015 12:33 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 10:56 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Poly, when you read about these types of pizzas being made, does it make you cringe?

In general, it happens, yes. Weeping

In this particular thread, not really. I mean, the "weirdest" thing I've read in this thread is chicken on pizza. I think I can safely say I've ever seen/heard it here. At face value, I have to admit I'm a bit perplexed. I don't feel it fits the "pizza-y" atmosphere lol but I can't say I'd never try it (depending on the rest of the toppings). I love trying new foods. So there's that.

Also, one thing I've heard being present only in the US (not sure if somebody does it here, but I seriously doubt it) is the cheese-filled crust.

I figured you would consider most of this pizza blasphemy. I'm with you, I'm sort of a pizza snob, having had it all up and down Italia, NYC, New Haven ... and I absolutely am in pizza hell living in the south. And the crap they are selling in the pizza chains makes me sick. Cheese-filled crust, hot-dog crusts, pretzel pizza, etc. Blasphemy!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 01:00 AM
(20-07-2015 02:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 01:06 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Seafood pizza is great! ...as long as the seafood is properly preserved lol

What was the village's name? Do you remember it?

Not sure of the spelling, I wasn't spelling much back then, but sounds like Cabbicce Mare? There was also a Cabbicce Monte. Rimini was in the general area too, we passed through that just before reaching Cabbicce. In later years they turned into big, ugly tourist spots and we quit going there in the early 60s because of that. We used to go to the harbor when the fishermen came home in the eve and they would fry up some of their catch right on the boat and sell it right there... yum, good dinners! I have very fond memories of the place, but, alas, it doesn't exist anymore. Well, not the way it was then.

Oh, and the pizzas were fresh made as you waited, with the catch that just came in that evening. Nothing preserved. They also had a wonderful fish soup. And langustinos. And... oh, just yum!

Maybe Gabicce Mare? Big Grin ahah I started typing your name and this one came up. It's in another region than Rimini, but they are in the same side.

By the way, I know a restaurant where they cook their own fish. Basically I think they also fish, but they mainly have fish "cultivations" (not sure the English term here lol) by locking sea areas in some inner bay/river. They have mussels and other types of fish. i don't think they also do pizza in this restaurant, but you can eat a meat-based menu or a fish-based menu, depending on your taste. The fish-based menu is awesome. Tongue

(20-07-2015 03:27 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 12:33 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  In general, it happens, yes. Weeping

In this particular thread, not really. I mean, the "weirdest" thing I've read in this thread is chicken on pizza. I think I can safely say I've ever seen/heard it here. At face value, I have to admit I'm a bit perplexed. I don't feel it fits the "pizza-y" atmosphere lol but I can't say I'd never try it (depending on the rest of the toppings). I love trying new foods. So there's that.

Also, one thing I've heard being present only in the US (not sure if somebody does it here, but I seriously doubt it) is the cheese-filled crust.

I figured you would consider most of this pizza blasphemy. I'm with you, I'm sort of a pizza snob, having had it all up and down Italia, NYC, New Haven ... and I absolutely am in pizza hell living in the south. And the crap they are selling in the pizza chains makes me sick. Cheese-filled crust, hot-dog crusts, pretzel pizza, etc. Blasphemy!

Well, have you guys ever taken a Deep Dish from Chicago? That looks like a pie, not a pizza. lol

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
21-07-2015, 01:18 AM
I have a different pizza idea I've never seen tried or talked about.

My brother and I when we were teenagers had conversations a couple times about disliking the middle pieces of pizza if you cut it in squares or just the ends. This was also in the highest hype of stuffed crust pizza. So we gathered our thoughts to question, how come nobody made a doughnut/bagel like pizza with a crust on the inside as well as the outside. That way you would get more crust pizza pieces for the real crust lovers of Pizzaland.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-07-2015, 06:44 AM
(21-07-2015 01:00 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 02:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Not sure of the spelling, I wasn't spelling much back then, but sounds like Cabbicce Mare? There was also a Cabbicce Monte. Rimini was in the general area too, we passed through that just before reaching Cabbicce. In later years they turned into big, ugly tourist spots and we quit going there in the early 60s because of that. We used to go to the harbor when the fishermen came home in the eve and they would fry up some of their catch right on the boat and sell it right there... yum, good dinners! I have very fond memories of the place, but, alas, it doesn't exist anymore. Well, not the way it was then.

Oh, and the pizzas were fresh made as you waited, with the catch that just came in that evening. Nothing preserved. They also had a wonderful fish soup. And langustinos. And... oh, just yum!

Maybe Gabicce Mare? Big Grin ahah I started typing your name and this one came up. It's in another region than Rimini, but they are in the same side.

By the way, I know a restaurant where they cook their own fish. Basically I think they also fish, but they mainly have fish "cultivations" (not sure the English term here lol) by locking sea areas in some inner bay/river. They have mussels and other types of fish. i don't think they also do pizza in this restaurant, but you can eat a meat-based menu or a fish-based menu, depending on your taste. The fish-based menu is awesome. Tongue

Haha, all my Italian is purely phonetic since I was too young to read or write then. And yep, that's it. Although it looked nothing like it back then. It was a sleepy little village with one two story hotel. The food was centered around fish, pasta, tomatoes, cheese, watermelon and peaches. And of course, wine. Everything was fresh and perfectly seasoned. The dishes were different daily, depending on the day's catch. The seafood pizza was crusty and had different toppings every time. I have traveled extensively over the years, but if I had to choose a place in time to go back to just for food, this would be it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-07-2015, 08:02 AM
(21-07-2015 01:00 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Well, have you guys ever taken a Deep Dish from Chicago? That looks like a pie, not a pizza. lol

Yes, a friend of mine took me to all of the famed Chicago joints a few years ago and it was like eating tomato soup and bread. Too much sauce, too much crust. Not pleasant.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
21-07-2015, 08:05 AM
(21-07-2015 01:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I have a different pizza idea I've never seen tried or talked about.

My brother and I when we were teenagers had conversations a couple times about disliking the middle pieces of pizza if you cut it in squares or just the ends. This was also in the highest hype of stuffed crust pizza. So we gathered our thoughts to question, how come nobody made a doughnut/bagel like pizza with a crust on the inside as well as the outside. That way you would get more crust pizza pieces for the real crust lovers of Pizzaland.

That's because the large square pizza is a rarity and just plain silly. Real pizza joints don't make a square pizza. No

----
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
21-07-2015, 08:09 AM
(21-07-2015 08:05 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 01:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I have a different pizza idea I've never seen tried or talked about.

That's because the large square pizza is a rarity and just plain silly. Real pizza joints don't make a square pizza. No

I'm sorry, but you just demonstrated in your last post you know nothing about real pizza. Drinking Beverage

Perhaps the square shaped cuttings is also more of a midwest or Chicago area thing for how to deal when the pizza isn't deep dished Cool

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Pizza is like sex.

Deep dish, thin crust - dick on top, dick on bottom, sans dick -- whatever....

Somebody's gonna hate it, and somebody's going to say it's the best....

And everybody wants some...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-07-2015, 08:50 AM
(21-07-2015 08:09 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 08:05 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  That's because the large square pizza is a rarity and just plain silly. Real pizza joints don't make a square pizza. No

I'm sorry, but you just demonstrated in your last post you know nothing about real pizza. Drinking Beverage

Perhaps the square shaped cuttings is also more of a midwest or Chicago area thing for how to deal when the pizza isn't deep dished Cool

The pizzas may be served in rectangle pans but they should be in the shape of an ameba or oval or circle. If the pizza is personal, like in Roma, then it is served with a knife and fork. If they are cutting the pizza into squares then we have a problem. Cool

----
22-07-2015, 03:21 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 03:25 AM by Lienda Bella.)
My dad tried a can of sloppy joe sauce for pizza sauce once. It was the worst pizza I ever had. A can of spaghetti sauce tastes good, so we use that.