Odd math dream

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Odd math dream
Many years ago I studied at University attempting to earn a BS in Mathematics. I don't often have dreams about math. In fact, almost never.

Last night I had a dream that I was back in school and the teacher was returning our papers to us.

The math problems were very simple.
Addition, division, etc. Basic math at its lowest level compared to calculus.

The test had 17 problems and I got 14 right.
The thing is, the teacher represented this as 17/14
And gave me a grade of 13 .

Now it really wouldn't be that big of a deal if all math was taught to have fractions displayed this way. It's just flipping them from how we are use to seeing them expressed.

I was then trying to figure out why my final grade was 13. One thought came to mind that the first problem on the test was an example problem, so that technically on the page, there are 17 problems shown, but I only answered 13 correctly.

I also tend to over analyze things, so I'm also wondering why only 17 problems ? Or if I'm right, why only 16 with one as an example.

Has anyone else had any odd math or science dreams ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2016, 01:23 PM
RE: Odd math dream
(29-06-2016 12:55 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Many years ago I studied at University attempting to earn a BS in Mathematics. I don't often have dreams about math. In fact, almost never.

Last night I had a dream that I was back in school and the teacher was returning our papers to us.

Now it really wouldn't be that big of a deal if all math was taught to have fractions displayed this way. It's just flipping them from how we are use to seeing them expressed.

I was then trying to figure out why my final grade was 13. One thought came to mind that the first problem on the test was an example problem, so that technically on the page, there are 17 problems shown, but I only answered 13 correctly.

I also tend to over analyze things, so I'm also wondering why only 17 problems ? Or if I'm right, why only 16 with one as an example.

I had one ages ago where I had to do some simple problem - subtraction I think - on the black board. I remembered the problem when I woke up and worked it out - dream answer was totally wrong Weeping

By the way I think dream teacher was just an idiot and calculated the grade wrong - in my experience it's never a good idea to impute competence to people. In this case yourself Big Grin QED

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Oh, yeah, I had a math dream. In my dream math teacher was a blond withe big boobs.

We did some multiplying.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
29-06-2016, 02:57 PM
The thing about those math dreams --- they just don't add up to much....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-06-2016, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2016 08:06 PM by Fireball.)
It's the New Math. You might verify what kind of 'shrooms you had on that pizza. Tongue

The only math-related "nightmare" I've had is one where I'm trying to calculate the arrival times of two trains at a station without enough information. I thrash it out in my head, and eventually wake up a cold sweat, realizing that I am sick, like the flu, for example, where I have a fever. I've had that one several times.

Then there's the dream where you dropped a class and the paperwork didn't go through, and you get a mid-term grade report with an "F" on it. By which time, of course, it is too late to actually drop the class. I had that dream for years (occasionally) even after I graduated the university.
29-06-2016, 07:59 PM
(29-06-2016 12:55 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Many years ago I studied at University attempting to earn a BS in Mathematics. I don't often have dreams about math. In fact, almost never.

Not a dream, but a dozen years ago I went to a doctor with heart problems and he did a needle in the leg trick where they thread a camera all the way from the groin area to the heart and do a video of the heat beating. The doctor then assured me even with fingers waving in the air that I have 3 major arteries entering the heart and 4 of those 3 were blocked. I didn't choose him to operate on me!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
29-06-2016, 08:11 PM
My grandma used to work as a math teacher. I'll ask her if she's ever had any weird math-related nightmares, lol.
But I'm expecting her to say something like "Yeah, every day with those teenage brats was a nightmare." Laugh out load

I've had dreams about meeting famous scientists, but I don't remember ever having any math dreams.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
29-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Did it not have any even numbers?
29-06-2016, 08:56 PM
(29-06-2016 08:11 PM)cactus Wrote:  My grandma used to work as a math teacher. I'll ask her if she's ever had any weird math-related nightmares, lol.
But I'm expecting her to say something like "Yeah, every day with those teenage brats was a nightmare." Laugh out load

I've had dreams about meeting famous scientists, but I don't remember ever having any math dreams.

I taught HS physics, geometry and pre-calculus. I took shit for less than two weeks before I became a martinet. https://www.google.com/search?q=Martinet...8&oe=utf-8

As soon as the acting out stopped, I eased up. Simple explanation, as I told them, "I'm here to do a job that your parents paid me to do. If you don't pay attention or if your classmate distracts you by gabbing, you are wasting their money, and I won't have it." They were used to pushing the English and Math teachers around. Funnily enough, I learned some of my crowd control techniques from Boy Scout leader training. I wouldn't have tried to use what I used as a non-com in the US Navy, it would have melted their tender little ears. Laugh out load
29-06-2016, 08:59 PM
When I remember them, which is rare, my dreams are usually weird.

And oddly, I have become adept enough at knowing that I am dreaming that I can actually control my dreams.