Odd math dream

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2016, 09:55 PM
RE: Odd math dream
Every now and then, I have a dream that I forgot to take one class and my degrees are no good. I have woken up in a sweat and paranoid more than once.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
30-06-2016, 10:06 PM
I once had a sleep deprivation-induced realization that zero might not really be a number, since it doesn't actually enumerate anything. At the same time, I realized I could too divide by it if I wanted, and get a result which includes the set of all possible numbers.

I posted these realizations to a math-oriented Usenet group and asked what they thought. I was told that both of those could be true, but probably not at the same time.

Not bad for a psychology major.
01-07-2016, 08:17 AM
When it comes to division, I think in terms of the number of cuts you have to make.

10/5 = 4 equal cuts (5-1) that are 2 units in quantity.

4/2 = 1 cut (2-1)
2/1 = 0 cuts (1-1)

2/0 if we follow the same formula would seem to be
(-1 cuts) 0-1
But how do you make negative cuts ?

-10/-5 = -4 cuts (-5+1)
-6/-2 = -1 cut which causes half of the numerator to experience a sign change. = 3

So 2/0 = -1

In a "real example" if this were possible, you get
2 apples /0 with a -1 cut = -1 Apple (The 2 apples disappear and we now have a -1 apple. We will call this an apple we can't see that exists in the negative plane of existence.) Or some shit like that.

-6 apples /-2 with a -1 cut would cause 3 positive or real apples to appear seemingly out of nowhere.

And this is probably why I have weird math dreams.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-07-2016, 12:06 PM
I once had a dream in which I could conceive of irrational numbers by their actual values in and of themselves rather than convergent series or incomplete functions.

It was horrible.

(29-06-2016 01:32 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Oh, yeah, I had a math dream. In my dream math teacher was a blond withe big boobs.

We did some multiplying.

All hail combinatorics!
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
01-07-2016, 11:30 PM
(29-06-2016 12:55 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I also tend to over analyze things, so I'm also wondering why only 17 problems ? Or if I'm right, why only 16 with one as an example.

One way to tell if you are in a dream is to look for writing. When you find it, it will be nonsense if you are in a dream. I am not surprised that when you saw your grade it did not make sense. Next time this happens, turn it into a lucid dream and have some fun.