Odd question for flood believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: Odd question for flood believers
As a history teacher my big sigh moments are when in class I get the inevitable questions from the kids who have been indoctrinated by their believer parents. Questions on floods, the earth being 6,000 years old, more questions on the flood, Adam and Eve, etc. But it is the flood questions I hear the most, something about this lie just seems to resonate with people. Can't stand it.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like AtheistTeacher's post
23-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Re: RE: Odd question for flood believers
(14-06-2013 10:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  This wasn't just a flood. There was a geological upheaval that changed the entire topography of the word. The flood was just one stage of this event during which the world was covered by water.

http://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2012/01...-water-go/

Too bad the Egyptians didn't notice anything at the time. Angel

Sent From My NEO x5....
[+] 3 users Like Stephen Charchuk's post
23-06-2013, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 01:18 PM by Stephen Charchuk.)
(17-06-2013 08:22 AM)Fisty_McBeefpunch Wrote:  Oh dear. Did he just post AIG as a source? He hasn't been here long has he?

Anyway, thanks everyone for the replies. I threw it out to my buddy on Friday. I've been shotgunning him with strange stuff like this lately just to see how he would answer. He is more of a William Lane Craig type, so I decided to go a different rout with him. When we get into serious discussions he bring up various authors and books. So I decided to throw an old "Fundie Quote" at him. I told him that we need to put "mans books down and look at what God's book says..." He spends a great deal of time arguing with Calvinists as well, so I just asked him about how the world was going to end. He seemed a bit embarrassed and eventually said it would be at the White Thrown Judgement. I brought up Rev. 20:12-15 and asked him who's names were there? God obviously knows if he knows everything. John saw this happening, and the names were there. He stuttered around and started in on free will and quoting other commentators. I fell back on another fundie favorite with, "You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with the Word of God." Mind you, I'm not trying to confuse him for the sake of confusing him or winning an argument but I'm trying to get him out of his comfort zone and to look at his own belief critically. I've noticed that he does seem to avoid discussing the bible and what it says on its own, but relies on what apologists say it says.

Yeah, why should he allow his primary "source" to get in the way. Remember, an apologist is someone who is willing to lie for their belief...... Confused

Sent From My NEO x5....
[+] 1 user Likes Stephen Charchuk's post
23-06-2013, 01:15 PM
(23-06-2013 10:09 AM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  As a history teacher my big sigh moments are when in class I get the inevitable questions from the kids who have been indoctrinated by their believer parents. Questions on floods, the earth being 6,000 years old, more questions on the flood, Adam and Eve, etc. But it is the flood questions I hear the most, something about this lie just seems to resonate with people. Can't stand it.

You may have to start giving them this test if things keep going the way they are.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/05/10...iz-is-real

Sent From My NEO x5....
[+] 1 user Likes Stephen Charchuk's post
23-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Re: Odd question for flood believers
Summary: geologists get it wrong because they start off with an assumption but christians get it right because they start off with an assumption.

Got it!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-06-2013, 01:42 PM
(23-06-2013 01:15 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(23-06-2013 10:09 AM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  As a history teacher my big sigh moments are when in class I get the inevitable questions from the kids who have been indoctrinated by their believer parents. Questions on floods, the earth being 6,000 years old, more questions on the flood, Adam and Eve, etc. But it is the flood questions I hear the most, something about this lie just seems to resonate with people. Can't stand it.

You may have to start giving them this test if things keep going the way they are.

I've seen this before. Makes me angry on two fronts. First as an atheist and second as an educator. That's a crime in my opinion. Blatantly passing off garbage and made up nonsense as scientific facts to indoctrinate the young minds of children should be a crime.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
23-06-2013, 02:02 PM
(23-06-2013 01:42 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  I've seen this before. Makes me angry on two fronts. First as an atheist and second as an educator. That's a crime in my opinion. Blatantly passing off garbage and made up nonsense as scientific facts to indoctrinate the young minds of children should be a crime.

Depends on who is writing the laws. They mistakenly believed that they were "saving" these children... More like from reality.

Sent From My NEO x5....
24-06-2013, 07:15 AM
(23-06-2013 01:42 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  
(23-06-2013 01:15 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  You may have to start giving them this test if things keep going the way they are.

I've seen this before. Makes me angry on two fronts. First as an atheist and second as an educator. That's a crime in my opinion. Blatantly passing off garbage and made up nonsense as scientific facts to indoctrinate the young minds of children should be a crime.

how do these kids go to high school,college or university? Dont they have a huge gap in the basic stuff?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
24-06-2013, 07:26 AM
(24-06-2013 07:15 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  how do these kids go to high school,college or university? Dont they have a huge gap in the basic stuff?

Many upper level universities will no longer accept applicants, who were home schooled or went to religious schools, into their science programs because they would have to re-educate them in science from very basic levels first in order so they could take thier cources and understand them properly. In other words they usually carried on to religous versions instead and not get a real education in science.

Sent From My NEO x5....
25-06-2013, 01:14 PM
(24-06-2013 07:26 AM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 07:15 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  how do these kids go to high school,college or university? Dont they have a huge gap in the basic stuff?

Many upper level universities will no longer accept applicants, who were home schooled or went to religious schools, into their science programs because they would have to re-educate them in science from very basic levels first in order so they could take thier cources and understand them properly. In other words they usually carried on to religous versions instead and not get a real education in science.

what kinda crap is that? Now they cant have great jobs!
Shouldnt the government set some strict rules about the required materials and topics and an univorm exam?
I went to religious school(not xian tho) and i learned real physics(if you can call massless ropes and frictionless situations real) and i made uniform exams. Every school makes the same exam,regardless if its religious or state-funded. Your government should do some shit about that!

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....