Offensive?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Offensive?
Hello!

Basically, I am a massive South Park fan and many people I talk to about it find the show offensive, rascist, zenophobic, anti-semetic etc, you get the picture?

Well, most of the people who are against South Park are usually religious in my experiance and I wanted to know if the show, in a non-religious persons eyes, was offensive.

I also find it hypocritical that some people laugh a lot when it takes the mickey out of one culture but then they go on this massive hate campaigne when their own is belittled. I'm just saying!

Id like opinions...and even discussions on South Park in general if anybody watches it! I myself havve seen every episode!
(Comparrisons with other shows that face similar problems would be interesting for debate too)
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2010, 01:24 PM
RE: Offensive?
Absolutely 100% offensive. That's why I love it. No one is safe from South Park. They make fun of everyone equally, and when it comes to my turn, I'll laugh as much as when they make fun of everyone else.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
23-08-2010, 01:30 PM
(23-08-2010 01:24 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Absolutely 100% offensive. That's why I love it. No one is safe from South Park. They make fun of everyone equally, and when it comes to my turn, I'll laugh as much as when they make fun of everyone else.

Exactly.

South Park is offensive, racist, xenophobic, antisemitic, and any number of other things. But it is offensive on an equal basis.

South Park is as far from racist as any show I have ever seen. It doesn't poke fun of someone simply because they are black. Well, it does, but them being black isn't their motivation for them doing so. South Park simply makes fun of everyone and everything.

And, in fact, they had a two-episode special on atheism. "Go, God, Go", parts one and two. I thought they were hilarious.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
23-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Yeah! I liked the Go God Go episodes, especially when Mr/Mrs Garrison was talking about squirril fish monkeys when they ripped on evolution.
I really liked the Ginger Kids episode, mostly because on of my best friends is ginger and I did, at one point, recite the entire gingers are vampires speech to her.
I think that Trey Parker is amazing at taking the piss out of, for example, not black people, but rascists! Big Grin
Personally, i loved the Imaginationland trilogy because Kyle and Cartman's arguments are the best parts in any episode!
23-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I have not watched SP in years, but I remember laughing uncontrollably at the movie a few years ago.

As for whether or not it's offensive, I think there is little doubt it's offensive as the creators go out of their way to be offensive. I don't think it targets any one group, though and takes equal shots at everyone. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

My view on these things is basically that freedom includes the inalienable right to change the channel. You don't like it, watch something else. Just don't ruin it for everyone else.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
23-08-2010, 07:26 PM

I personally find everyone who likes South Park to be racist homophobic social communist nazis teabagging gay droolmonkeys. I am going back to watching the next episode now.
23-08-2010, 07:56 PM
It's also got a lot of very intelligent humour to it at the same time. On the surface it is nothing but offensive crude humour, but underneath there is a level of intellectualism not commonly found on television these days.

For example, the episode where the boys write the gross-out novel "Scrotie McBoogerballs". They think it's nothing but a gross out and yet people find deeper meaning in the situations. That episode is a debate about author intentionality, which is a rather hotly debated topic in literary circles. Did Shakespeare mean for deep meaning #164 in MacBeth or are we superimposing meaning on a line that he meant nothing by? Is it any less valid? It's hard to say... Although the guys at South Park make it very clear that they disagree...

Another episode is when the children are tested to see who is a sex addict and Butters tries to explain what a vagina is to himself. On the surface, that's just crude humour, but if you put it in the frame of the human experience you see that that's exactly what we do every time we discover something new (although, maybe not in such a comical fashion). For an example of this just look up (google will render results I'm sure) European explorer's written descriptions of animals that aren't native to Europe, the Rhino is the perfect example. The description is horrible because the explorers have nothing to go on, they have nothing to compare it, they have never seen anything like it... Just like poor Butters.

I enjoy the show thoroughly on two levels, the crude humour, and the deeper intellectualism I find in some of the themes the explore, although I'm not sure they'd agree with my assessment given that they don't seem to support my view point on the author intentionality debate Tongue

24-08-2010, 12:12 AM
I've actually never watched a full episode of South Park. =P I was never allowed to watch it when I was younger and when I was old enough to hide what I was watching from my parents, everyone was into Family Guy so I've seen every episode of that. =P

But since you allowed for discussion on other, similarly offensive shows, I might as well talk about Family Guy if you don't mind. =P

I do happen to find Family Guy offensive (overbearingly so in a couple scenes from a couple episodes of the most recent two seasons) but aside from when they go too far (which they have only a couple times) I still find it quite hilarious at times. =P I doubt it holds much of the deeper intellectualism that Green described in South Park, but indeed it does have its deeper sense of moral richness in most episodes (other episodes are quite the opposite).

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2010, 03:45 AM

"offensive" hmmm you see the term "offensive" offends me much of the time. It seems every time I turn around today someone is offended by something. Offended to be has become like the word "fine" its basically meaningless. 90% of the time my reaction to what people are offended by is Really? ... lighten up! This is where South Park or Family guy come in. They by "offending" people try to point out just how ridiculous people are being in the first place with this over reactiveness. Hell the vast majority of the offending parties are setting out to BE offensive! It's all very silly. This is why well adjusted, intelligent people find these shows amusing.
24-08-2010, 06:39 AM
My first touch with south park was when I was 7-8 and I couldnt sleep and I sneaked behind our sofa and looked what my parents were watching. It was the episode ''towelie'' and all I remember about it was when the soldiers came in and shot every towel. I went back to sleep, it wasnt that good, but 8-9 years later I've watched every single episode, and its one of the rare shows I find entertaining.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.