Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
First of all, It is my position that OfficeDepot should have the right to discriminate. So I take their side....even though I am staunchly pro-life.

However religion is a protected class. When we discussed bakers and photographers being forced under threats of penalties of stiff fines to bake cakes or take pictures for gay weddings\. Many here claimed that they should be forced because gays are a protected class. To those of you who took that position, will you now come forward and say that OfficeDepot should be forced to print this religious anti abortion flyer or face stiff fines?

Here is the link to the news article. The news article links to a PDF of the actual flyer in question.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 08:08 PM
RE: Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
(11-09-2015 08:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  First of all, It is my position that OfficeDepot should have the right to discriminate. So I take their side....even though I am staunchly pro-life.

However religion is a protected class. When we discussed bakers and photographers being forced under threats of penalties of stiff fines to bake cakes or take pictures for gay weddings\. Many here claimed that they should be forced because gays are a protected class. To those of you who took that position, will you now come forward and say that OfficeDepot should be forced to print this religious anti abortion flyer or face stiff fines?

Here is the link to the news article. The news article links to a PDF of the actual flyer in question.

Link?
11-09-2015, 08:10 PM
(11-09-2015 08:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:06 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  First of all, It is my position that OfficeDepot should have the right to discriminate. So I take their side....even though I am staunchly pro-life.

Link?

OfficeDepot refused to print the Link for Heywood's news article. Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 10 users Like jennybee's post
11-09-2015, 08:24 PM
(11-09-2015 08:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  Link?

(11-09-2015 08:10 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  Link?

OfficeDepot refused to print the Link for Heywood's news article. Tongue

FFS.....I screwed that up. Sorry guys. Without further adieu......here is the link.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/09/1...-material/
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
11-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Interesting story, if a lawsuit is filed I think they will be hard pressed to show it was a protected class (religion) and not the stated reason for why they refused to print the flyers. Reading the interaction as it was reported it seems much more likely it was politics not religion that prompted the response and that is not a protected class of speech.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-09-2015, 08:50 PM
(11-09-2015 08:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Interesting story, if a lawsuit is filed I think they will be hard pressed to show it was a protected class (religion) and not the stated reason for why they refused to print the flyers. Reading the interaction as it was reported it seems much more likely it was politics not religion that prompted the response and that is not a protected class of speech.

Well good then, all the bakers and photographers who don't want to serve gays can do so because such weddings are tantamount to an endorsement of a political position.
11-09-2015, 08:54 PM
"Hello, I'd like to purchase this portable awning."

"Ok, just sign here to confirm that you're not going to be use this at a gay wedding."

"Oh heavens, no! I'm setting up a protest table across the street from the abortion clinic."

"Oh that's, great! Here' I'll give you a 50% discount. *boop* *boop* beep* *boop*. Ok, you're all set. Have a blessed day, sir."

"Thanks...*walks out the door* Hehe, sucker."

"What was that?"

"Nothing"

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
11-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Here's the thing: they didn't refuse to print the flyer because it's against abortion.

Quote:Company spokeswoman Karen Denning tells the Chicago Tribune that Office Depot prohibits the copying of material that advocates “the persecution of certain groups of people,” among other criteria. She says the flier “contained material that advocates the persecution of people who support abortion rights.”

Denial of service has nothing to do with who is or is not part of a protected class.

Do you sell wedding cakes? Then you can't discriminate based on who wants a wedding cake.

If your business doesn't sell wedding cakes, then refusing to sell one to a gay couple is not discrimination.

In this case, Office Depot doesn't print material that advocates the persecution of certain groups of people. It doesn't matter if the person who wants to print the material is part of a protected class or not. They would also refuse service to a gay atheist who wanted to print a brochure that encouraged the persecution of pro-life people, because they don't print messages that encourage persecution.

Why is this so hard to understand?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 7 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
11-09-2015, 09:01 PM
(11-09-2015 08:54 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Denial of service has nothing to do with who is or is not part of a protected class.

Do you sell wedding cakes? Then you can't discriminate based on who wants a wedding cake.

If your business doesn't sell wedding cakes, then refusing to sell one to a gay couple is not discrimination.

In this case, Office Depot doesn't print material that advocates the persecution of certain groups of people. It doesn't matter if the person who wants to print the material is part of a protected class or not. They would also refuse service to a gay atheist who wanted to print a brochure that encouraged the persecution of pro-life people, because they don't print messages that encourage persecution.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Perhaps you can point out where in the flyer persecution is encouraged? I looked and didn't see any.
11-09-2015, 09:06 PM
@Heywood Jahblome

Things might not be so clear cut. If they refused to print a pro-life message that would indeed be illegal in my point of view. But, if the message was violent and hateful, then it should not be protected since it constitute hate speech. The devil is in the detail. After reading the pdf, I am rather conflicted. It doesn't call for violence and retribution against pro-choice advocate or against abortion clinic, but it is filled with violent rhetoric and earn itself a Godwin point. Pro-life groups should stick with more positive message instead of these ones. They are both inefficient, insulting, factually dubious if not completely false and preach only to the converts. I guess it's not a bad thing to bring such a case to court.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post