Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2015, 09:09 PM
RE: Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
I think religion should find itself in court as much as possible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
11-09-2015, 09:19 PM
(11-09-2015 09:06 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Heywood Jahblome

Things might not be so clear cut. If they refused to print a pro-life message that would indeed be illegal in my point of view. But, if the message was violent and hateful, then it should not be protected since it constitute hate speech. The devil is in the detail. After reading the pdf, I am rather conflicted. It doesn't call for violence and retribution against pro-choice advocate or against abortion clinic, but it is filled with violent rhetoric and earn itself a Godwin point. Pro-life groups should stick with more positive message instead of these ones. They are both inefficient, insulting, factually dubious if not completely false and preach only to the converts. I guess it's not a bad thing to bring such a case to court.

I need that "most interesting guy in the world" meme here. "I don't always let others do my thinking for me; but when I do, one of them is epronovost." Big Grin

I scanned the docs and felt pretty much the same way. The thing I wonder is why da fuq didn't she run 'em of the self-serve unit - but it seems the five-minute soapbox is preferred over doing the job.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-09-2015, 09:28 PM
(11-09-2015 09:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Things might not be so clear cut. If they refused to print a pro-life message that would indeed be illegal in my point of view. But, if the message was violent and hateful, then it should not be protected since it constitute hate speech. The devil is in the detail. After reading the pdf, I am rather conflicted. It doesn't call for violence and retribution against pro-choice advocate or against abortion clinic, but it is filled with violent rhetoric and earn itself a Godwin point. Pro-life groups should stick with more positive message instead of these ones. They are both inefficient, insulting, factually dubious if not completely false and preach only to the converts. I guess it's not a bad thing to bring such a case to court.

I need that "most interesting guy in the world" meme here. "I don't always let others do my thinking for me; but when I do, one of them is epronovost." Big Grin

I scanned the docs and felt pretty much the same way. The thing I wonder is why da fuq didn't she run 'em of the self-serve unit - but it seems the five-minute soapbox is preferred over doing the job.

I get my moment of clarity. Too bad my girlfriend is never there to see them...Weeping
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
11-09-2015, 09:43 PM
(11-09-2015 09:28 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 09:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I need that "most interesting guy in the world" meme here. "I don't always let others do my thinking for me; but when I do, one of them is epronovost." Big Grin

I get my moment of clarity. Too bad my girlfriend is never there to see them...Weeping

I've told them in the past that it happens, but they don't believe.
12-09-2015, 12:33 AM
(11-09-2015 09:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

One of the reasons I am against making bakers bake cakes for gay weddings is because the couple can bake their own cake or the couple can go down the street to the next baker who will probably happily take their business. I just don't see this segment not being served by the market.

Apparently if you are gay. the ability to "Just go next door" doesn't really matter. We must force people to conform to the gay world views and these bakers will bake gay cakes our we will not allow them to conduct business.

Now that same standard show should be applied here. Religion is a protected class and Office depot denied service based on a religious belief. Therefore OfficeDepot should either be forced to provide that service or be forced out of business.

Keep in mind my position is bakers should be able to discriminate and not bake cakes for gay weddings and OfficeDepot should be able to discriminate and not print fliers for religious groups.

My views are consistent. Are the views of those who scream "Bigotry" consistent? Doesn't look like it from where I am sitting.
12-09-2015, 01:17 AM
Heywood, your count is high. You provoke a lot of shit. Tongue

I don't know who you are yelling at, who was shouting "bigotry" then; but this ain't hardly the same thing - well, ok, it was as far as both cases involve religious nuts fabricating a soapbox - but in this case, service was available. She could've just printed the shit and shut her hole.

There's some fine print for the lawyers to quibble over; but yeah, I think a business has a right to refuse service to anyone, but these freaking nut bags made it an issue when it didn't have to be one.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2015, 01:26 AM
(11-09-2015 08:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Interesting story, if a lawsuit is filed I think they will be hard pressed to show it was a protected class (religion) and not the stated reason for why they refused to print the flyers. Reading the interaction as it was reported it seems much more likely it was politics not religion that prompted the response and that is not a protected class of speech.

Well good then, all the bakers and photographers who don't want to serve gays can do so because such weddings are tantamount to an endorsement of a political position.

Gay marriage is as much a "political opinion" as blacks being allowed to drink from the same water fountain as whites.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
12-09-2015, 02:19 AM
(12-09-2015 01:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well good then, all the bakers and photographers who don't want to serve gays can do so because such weddings are tantamount to an endorsement of a political position.

Gay marriage is as much a "political opinion" as blacks being allowed to drink from the same water fountain as whites.

If moral positions are protected than being against the killing of millions of human beings via abortion is on a much higher plane than letting blacks drink from certain drinking fountains or requiring bakers bake cakes for gay weddings.

This was a religious flyer and OfficeDepot Discriminated based on the prayer. It never once disputed the facts. It is religious discrimination pure an simple. So lets fine them out of business like we would the homophobic bakers. There is no place in this world for churchophobes.

Or not....how about just let people be free and make their own choices.....even if it means occasionally a gay couple will get turned down by a bigoted baker.
12-09-2015, 02:28 AM
(11-09-2015 08:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Interesting story, if a lawsuit is filed I think they will be hard pressed to show it was a protected class (religion) and not the stated reason for why they refused to print the flyers. Reading the interaction as it was reported it seems much more likely it was politics not religion that prompted the response and that is not a protected class of speech.

Well good then, all the bakers and photographers who don't want to serve gays can do so because such weddings are tantamount to an endorsement of a political position.

The difference being that bakers and photographers are not refusing to aid the promotion of hate speech but an expression of two people's love.

For example, should OfficeDepot be sued for refusing to print flyers from white supremacists promoting their idea that black people are an inferior species that should be treated like second class citizens?
12-09-2015, 03:16 AM
(12-09-2015 02:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well good then, all the bakers and photographers who don't want to serve gays can do so because such weddings are tantamount to an endorsement of a political position.

The difference being that bakers and photographers are not refusing to aid the promotion of hate speech but an expression of two people's love.

For example, should OfficeDepot be sued for refusing to print flyers from white supremacists promoting their idea that black people are an inferior species that should be treated like second class citizens?

From the bakers perspective the gay marriage is an affront to marriage.....it is hateful statement toward real marriages. The problem with labeling something as "hate speech" is anyone can put that label on anything.

You are making hatespeech right now against that pro heterosexual marriage movement.

Go away hater......or just be free to choose to serve those you want to serve and be free to refuse to serve those you don't want to serve. The latter is my position. I support the bigots at OfficeDepot and the bigotted baker.