Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2015, 03:34 AM
RE: Office Depot refuses to print a religious flyer against abortion
(12-09-2015 03:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  From the bakers perspective the gay marriage is an affront to marriage.....it is hateful statement toward real marriages.

Marriages are not sentient beings with emotions or a capacity to suffer. Therefore they cannot respond to hate.

Nor do married couples suffer because some gay people are also married.

Trying to claim hate speech against a legal contract is the equivalent of claiming that you can make a hate speech against a table. It's a non sequitur.

People who are considering abortions are sentient beings with a capacity to suffer. Therefore hate can be directed against them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Mathilda's post
12-09-2015, 04:57 AM
1. The Office Depot employees were interpreting an existing policy of the store, not making one up on the spot.
2. The article says that the employees also offered the woman the use of the self-service machine, but she refused.

Wondering why it was more important to her that the store employee make the copies, rather than that she get the copies of her "prayer" by pushing a couple of buttons herself. I suspect that she knew about the policy, which could have applied equally to a white power or anti-immigrant document, and went to the store with the hope of being turned down. It's not discrimination if the policy is applied the same way, no matter the customer.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
12-09-2015, 05:34 AM
Let it go to trial then. If the store loses they'll need to update their policy and maybe get fined. If the plaintiffs lose, let them cover the legal fees for playing so fucken ultra-dumb.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-09-2015, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 07:44 AM by ClydeLee.)
(12-09-2015 03:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The difference being that bakers and photographers are not refusing to aid the promotion of hate speech but an expression of two people's love.

For example, should OfficeDepot be sued for refusing to print flyers from white supremacists promoting their idea that black people are an inferior species that should be treated like second class citizens?

From the bakers perspective the gay marriage is an affront to marriage.....it is hateful statement toward real marriages. The problem with labeling something as "hate speech" is anyone can put that label on anything.

You are making hatespeech right now against that pro heterosexual marriage movement.

Go away hater......or just be free to choose to serve those you want to serve and be free to refuse to serve those you don't want to serve. The latter is my position. I support the bigots at OfficeDepot and the bigotted baker.

Symbols that are thought up by someone are different than a message of words that have a defined meaning and context.

The cake is a cake.. it's just a cake. The baker hates what the Cake is being USED for and representing.

The message on the words is what is being printed... they can sell the people who want to print the paper blank pieces of paper and be fine. If they denied the selling of blank paper to the lady because they know the lady was going to take that paper and write anti-abortion comments on it. That would be equivalent of selling the cake. Or the whole refusing to let her use self service, but they didn't. They were allowing her to do that.

What someone does with the item after it is sold is different. This would be if they forced the baker to ice a message onto the cake saying something pro-homosexual marriage or anti-heterosexual marriage. That's never been the forced issue in a baker. That's not the scenario's comparison. That I would allow to be protected to say the baker doesn't have to write what it doesn't want too. (and the baker can and may at times do that for anyone's message)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-09-2015, 06:33 AM
(12-09-2015 02:19 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 01:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Gay marriage is as much a "political opinion" as blacks being allowed to drink from the same water fountain as whites.

If moral positions are protected than being against the killing of millions of human beings via abortion is on a much higher plane than letting blacks drink from certain drinking fountains or requiring bakers bake cakes for gay weddings.

This was a religious flyer and OfficeDepot Discriminated based on the prayer. It never once disputed the facts. It is religious discrimination pure an simple. So lets fine them out of business like we would the homophobic bakers. There is no place in this world for churchophobes.

Or not....how about just let people be free and make their own choices.....even if it means occasionally a gay couple will get turned down by a bigoted baker.

Don't strawman me, I said nothing about abortion.
12-09-2015, 06:57 AM
@Heywood Jahblome

Hate speech is clearly defined in the law. In the case of gay marriage, you seem to be denying the victim and privilege blind. Gay marriage doesn't represent hate speech. It doesn't even meet one of the prerequisite. In this case, the problem is on the notion of hate speech. You can print pro-life fliers in an Office Depot, but it must not constitute hate speech.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
12-09-2015, 07:50 AM
The only illumination occurring here is another spotlight on Heywood's straight-up troll behavior. As usual. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 11:56 AM
(11-09-2015 08:54 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  ... She says the flier ‚Äúcontained material that advocates the persecution of people who support abortion rights ...

Someone is going to have to show me what sentence or phrase in that flyer "advocates persecution" because I don't see it. It's rank propaganda, but persecution it ain't. I disagree with the Office Depot gang on this one, at least in claiming the flyer is a call for persecution.

Maybe somebody's eyesight is better than mine? Where's the beef here?
12-09-2015, 12:03 PM
(12-09-2015 11:56 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:54 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  ... She says the flier ‚Äúcontained material that advocates the persecution of people who support abortion rights ...

Someone is going to have to show me what sentence or phrase in that flyer "advocates persecution" because I don't see it. It's rank propaganda, but persecution it ain't. I disagree with the Office Depot gang on this one, at least in claiming the flyer is a call for persecution.

Maybe somebody's eyesight is better than mine? Where's the beef here?

[Image: shrug.png]
That's what lawyers are for. Let 'em earn their billable for a change. Tongue

Reading between the lines, the request fueled the clerk's righteous indignation, and the management backed him up with an iffy fine print finagle, I'm guessing. Wink

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 08:51 PM
(11-09-2015 08:24 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  Link?

(11-09-2015 08:10 PM)jennybee Wrote:  OfficeDepot refused to print the Link for Heywood's news article. Tongue

FFS.....I screwed that up. Sorry guys. Without further adieu......here is the link.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/09/1...-material/

without further ado

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post