Official Cannabis Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
21-12-2011, 11:52 AM
RE: Official Cannabis Thread
Vancouver doesn't really have any strains that aren't available anywhere else. The outdoor grown weed in BC is great, but hydroponic indoor depends on the strain and the skills involved with growing, not the location.

I'll ask my question from the other thread: what are the top shelf strains in your area? There's lots of new strains coming out all the time. When they are new, they tend to be unstable (out of ten seeds you may get ten different phenotypes) but some of them have some pretty impressive genetics. For me, a tried and true strain is preferable for the reliability (germinate ten White Widow seeds and you are unlikely to get much variance at all between phenos), plus actual potency hasn't really improved a heck of a lot as of late. Most new genetics are to combine flavors and ease of grow as opposed to potency. Not to mention, there's some incredibly potent strains out there, so there isn't a whole lot of breeders who are concentrating on upping it even more.

My faves:
White Widow (an oldie, but still one of the best there is as long as the grower has the skill to produce it)
Pineapple Express (tasty, with a well rounded high. Gotta get a good pheno though)
The Ultimate (a pretty new strain, but suprisingly stable. This shit is knock you on your ass strong, and tastes and smells like strawberries! Definitely a front-runner for my all time favorite)
AK-48 (A cross between AK-47 and a kush strain. A great pain med, medium potency, and a big producer)
Bubba Kush (if you like concentrates like hash and edibles, this is perfect. Mild sweet flavor, plenty of tricomes, and easy to seperate cleanly without solvents. A 75 micron screen and some dry ice, and you'll have the prettiest blonde kief ever!)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2011, 12:20 PM
(21-12-2011 11:52 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Vancouver doesn't really have any strains that aren't available anywhere else. The outdoor grown weed in BC is great, but hydroponic indoor depends on the strain and the skills involved with growing, not the location.

I'll ask my question from the other thread: what are the top shelf strains in your area? There's lots of new strains coming out all the time. When they are new, they tend to be unstable (out of ten seeds you may get ten different phenotypes) but some of them have some pretty impressive genetics. For me, a tried and true strain is preferable for the reliability (germinate ten White Widow seeds and you are unlikely to get much variance at all between phenos), plus actual potency hasn't really improved a heck of a lot as of late. Most new genetics are to combine flavors and ease of grow as opposed to potency. Not to mention, there's some incredibly potent strains out there, so there isn't a whole lot of breeders who are concentrating on upping it even more.

My faves:
White Widow (an oldie, but still one of the best there is as long as the grower has the skill to produce it)
Pineapple Express (tasty, with a well rounded high. Gotta get a good pheno though)
The Ultimate (a pretty new strain, but suprisingly stable. This shit is knock you on your ass strong, and tastes and smells like strawberries! Definitely a front-runner for my all time favorite)
AK-48 (A cross between AK-47 and a kush strain. A great pain med, medium potency, and a big producer)
Bubba Kush (if you like concentrates like hash and edibles, this is perfect. Mild sweet flavor, plenty of tricomes, and easy to seperate cleanly without solvents. A 75 micron screen and some dry ice, and you'll have the prettiest blonde kief ever!)

My attempt at growing some plants at home were with White Widow seeds. I knew nothing except what I could learn from the internet and it didn't yield nice looking buds (because of me), but the high was nice indeed. My second attempt at buying seeds from Amsterdam left me with a letter from US Homeland Security informing me they had intercepted my contraband. Sad

For me, I like edibles with more Indica to help with pain and insomnia, but I'll vape or smoke a Sativa for my depression and anxiety then if I just want to chill at home I'll play with different hybrids.

My favorites are:
Top Shelf Sativas: Tangerine Haze, Kronic Sativa, Burma, Trainwreck

Top Shelf Indicas: White Castle, OG Kush, Green Headband, Grape Ape

Favorite Hybrids: White Widow, Blue Dream, White Dream, Cactus

I like to try different things when I go. What I haven't done, but should do is keep a record of what does what. The problem is, when I'm under the influence, record keeping is the last thing on my mind. Big Grin

I'll have to ask about The Ultimate. Sounds fun!

I've never tried blonde kief. I only buy their bubble hash, because the first time I asked about it, that particular dude said he thought kief wasn't as good. But what do you think about that? Is there a difference in method, or is the difference only in the strain used?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-12-2011, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2011 12:59 PM by Stark Raving.)
Kief and bubble hash are the same thing. Kief is the tricomes knocked off the bud. You can do this by using the bubble hash method (ie mix shake with cold water and ice, then filter through several stages of "bubble bags" which are bags than have a varying grade of micron mesh at the bottom) or the dry ice method (A bucket with shake and dry ice, put a single, fine micron bubble bag over the top, then flip and shake). Both give you kief. When that kief is pressed and heated, the result is hash. "Blonde" just refers to how pure the tricomes are with relation to vegetable matter. The more vegetation that gets through your filter, the more green the kief will appear. So blonde kief is just kief without any green coloration to it. It comes out as a beautiful sandy color. The more pure, the better the flavor and potency. (The green vegetable matter is why cannabutter tastes like...well......cannabis)

Kief is the best way to make edibles. The process is the same (simmer the butter or oil with the kief, just like you would with whole shake) but there's no veg to make the butter get that cannabis taste. Just drop the kief into the butter, simmer, and voila; best cannabutter ever! Plus you don't have to filter out any leftover waste. If you want to smoke it, it's better to press it into hash, since the kief is like a fine powder, and difficult to work with. I press mine cold though, since pressing warm begins degredation and encourages oxidization (that's why hash looks black). Cold pressed makes it last longer, and taste better (IMO) but it is slightly harder to shave into nice thin wafers, whereas hot pressed hash is more like putty, so its easy to just mold it into a nice thin wafer.

Unfortunately, many people think of kief, and they just think of the stuff you shake off a bud, or the stuff left in your grinder. Kief is just the beginning of hash. The problem is, when most people make kief, they don't go to the extra trouble of pressing it into hash (bubble hash, dry ice hash, of whatever)

22-12-2011, 01:44 AM
What kind of recommendations do you give patients that are chronic users and want to take a break in order to lose some of their tolerance and regain that higher high? Is there any kind of set amount of time off someone should take or does it vary? I once read a suggestion to use the "420 rule" of 20 days on and 4 days off, but it's too hard to do the math and when my symptoms are in full gear, it's tough to take off 4 days in a row. I'm in a pretty good spot right now so am taking some time away, but with Christmas with the family coming up, I sense a trip to the dispensary soon. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-12-2011, 01:53 AM
I recommend ten days at a time, 4 times spread out over the year (I think in terms of a ten day break every season).

As long as you are changing strains often, 4 breaks a year is plenty to keep tolerance down, but ten days per break. 4 days isn't enough in my experience. Plus I remind people that having a few hoots while taking a break won't ruin it. So, especially for pain patients, keep some handy if the pain gets to a point that you need some relief, but try not to smoke more than a few times during the ten day break. Just keep in mind the break is for lower tolerance, not to test will power. If you want to test your will power (many do, because they want to know how psycologically dependant they are) give 'er, but if we're just talking tolerance, no need to be too rigid.

22-12-2011, 02:04 AM
(22-12-2011 01:53 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I recommend ten days at a time, 4 times spread out over the year (I think in terms of a ten day break every season).

As long as you are changing strains often, 4 breaks a year is plenty to keep tolerance down, but ten days per break. 4 days isn't enough in my experience. Plus I remind people that having a few hoots while taking a break won't ruin it. So, especially for pain patients, keep some handy if the pain gets to a point that you need some relief, but try not to smoke more than a few times during the ten day break. Just keep in mind the break is for lower tolerance, not to test will power. If you want to test your will power (many do, because they want to know how psycologically dependant they are) give 'er, but if we're just talking tolerance, no need to be too rigid.

Cool, I appreciate that. And I wondered before about the idea of a few puffs here and there. There was a time when I did try the will power thing and made it like half a day. Smile I think I really just reached a saturation point where the past few days I just haven't really even had any desire. That also could be due to my crazy head meds finally kicking in with the right mix of serotonin and dopamine to balance me out a bit.

~Izel
22-12-2011, 07:02 AM
About my problem...

Hey Stark, I think it was the problem with the chlorophyll, because when I left it to air a bit, the smell has changed into more weed-like, less strong one. I know what mold smells, this is not that, this was more sour, more like ... hmmm, very hard to explain, but I think the chlorophyll is the best explanation here, mostly because it is really strong and good weed, not trash as I first thought. But the taste is a bit strong and different than I was used to. Still, it is better now that I have air it a bit and put it into smaller bags.

Thanks for the info.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
27-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Found this looking for science documentaries on youtube. Looking at both sides of the issue, it becomes clear, at least to me, that the issue becomes one of people trusting a personal moral perspective over science.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a Volcano? I had a pretty good sales month in December and am thinking about plopping down some benjies for one of these bad boys:

[Image: volcano-vaporizer-classic-wth-solid-valv...-thumb.png]

~Izel
30-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Best vape ever. I have a pretty good one, but still wish I'd spent the extra on the Volcano.

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post