Official Cannabis Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
20-05-2012, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2012 08:52 PM by DeepThought.)
RE: Official Cannabis Thread
Filox, It's relatively cheap to setup a simple experiment. The time needed is the main concern.

Start with a convenient animal model. Rats are cheap and short lived. I'd recommend F-344 rats for this experiment. That rules out variations in genetics etc..
You might want to have multiple groups of 6 rats so you have a reasonable sample for statistics.

http://www.criver.com/EN-US/PRODSERV/BYT...44Rat.aspx
~$20 each!

To isolate environmental effects you need to ensure that all rats are exposed to the same environment. Probably order one sex or keep the males and females separate so pregnancy doesn't become a factor. You need to feed them all the same diet (aside from the variations in MJ dose).

All groups have minimum 6 rats.
Group 1: Control - gets no MJ - could have some extra rats in here for better statistics.
Group 2: Low Dose MJ
Group 3: Medium Dose MJ
Group 4: High Dose MJ

Problem you need to overcome: Your source of weed - It may vary in quality and potency over time. How are you going to be able to say you are providing a certain dose to the rat? How much are they actually getting? The shelf life isn't high enough and even if you extract it as oil it's not going to be the same after 4 years. Science likes to be exact. I suppose you'll need to approximate and hope you can get same quality of plants with reasonable consistency.

If you run this experiment you will get statistics on lifespan and could determine if certain health problems are increased or decreased compared with the control group. I'd recommend adding the mj via diet since teaching a rat to smoke would be difficult. Adding to food at least gives an indication of the dosage.

Make sure each rat eats the same meal as every other rat. It's allot of paperwork and each rat needs a tatoo or an id tag on it's foot. Document feeding times and how much the rat did and didn't eat. Weigh the rats regularly and monitor activity levels and behaviour. All this stuff is documented with time.

How much time do you have for this? You should have some results after roughly 4 years.

An actual scientist could help you design a decent study protocol. Lets get Kim in here - or Bearded Dude. They would know what to do!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
21-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Or I could just test can THC oil be good for burn wounds. I burn my one leg with a cigarette, then I burn my other leg in the same way, on the same place, I treat one wound with THC oil, I do not treat the other wound. I take pictures and the final result is going to be pretty clear. Does it help or is it BS? I need one week and only myself to test it. No poor little ol' mices... I always like to keep things simple, it is easier for people to see and understand things that way, the big experiments makes peoples brains hurt.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-05-2012, 04:19 AM
it would have to be the same burn on both legs. How would you do that with a ciggarette? You need a way to deliver the same amount of heat energy to your leg in a similar location.

Heat a small coin to a specific temperature or something and leave it in contact with the skin for at least 3 seconds. Then treat the wound at a specific time after the injury.

Also you would need to rule out the hydrating / moisturising property of the oil by treating the other leg with baby oil (i'm being generous by letting filox compare results against man made chemicals).

There will be a difference in healing time between a burn wound that dries out with no oil and a wound that is treated with a bandage.

That is still a pretty dumb experiment and doesn't count for much. You need statistical significance and properly documented evidence. Your experiment comes across as loopy because you are hurting yourself to do it. It will make people will think you've gone crazy cos of the dope - probably the opposite of what you want. Also it's a trial of 1 and not properly recorded and documented.

I think you will not notice a significant difference. If you want people to take it seriously you need to put in the work and do things properly.

If you want to show that it's healthy prove that rats fed MJ live longer than they would without it. Then try with other animals like with the Selegiline I posted about here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid116929

21-05-2012, 04:26 AM
If you light up 2 cigarettes and then extinguish them on the same place on 2 different legs, you pretty much used the same amount of heat and applied it the same amount of time...

Smile

This experiment is for me personally, I want to see the difference, as for the scientific experiments, the Canadian Ministry of Health and the British Health Institutes have so much more to offer and are much more valid sources than any kind of experiment Filox can do. So I will use them for real proofs, but I will use mine for my own, personal explanations. It will all work out just fine, have some faith in me, said one internet dude that want to burn his ass to make a point...

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
21-05-2012, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2012 06:38 AM by DeepThought.)
Your a freakin nutcase! Don't you want your experiment to actually count for something?

Make sure you treat both injuries the same minus the thc oil though. You cant put oil on one wound and leave the other exposed to open air to dry out. Thats comparing apples to onions. It's useless. You will want to cover both wounds with a bandage so the oil doesn't get rubbed off by clothing etc during the day.

And no.. Cigarettes will create varying burn results since it's still burning at the time and it's very dependent on pressure, amount of ash, amount that happened to be burning at the time. Also it will make the wound dirty. Nutbag...

If your going to do it set an oven to 150-180 deg C and put tongs with the coin in there. Leave it for 10 mins.
Then use oven mitts, use the preheated tongs and place the coin on your leg 10 secs after opening the door.
Timing is important since temperature will drop rapidly and a small coin will have little thermal mass. Repeat the torture process.

EDIT: Shave away any hair from the regions that are going to be burned.

I believe that will be enough for a first to second degree burn.

With this method at least you control more of the variables. Still you are a nutcase. Did I already say that?

Nutcase!

Can't believe I'm advising you on how to hurt yourself more scientifically... No

Another thing. Is it the oil you get from the seeds you are interested in or the oil you get from the trichomes (resin glands) which contain allot of psychoactive chemicals? The thc oil derived from trichomes will be very thick and sticky so it could be hard to apply. I think the oil from the seeds can be bought online legally and will probably not perform differently to standard burns treatment (for minor burns).

21-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Hemp oil is the oil gathered from the seeds. There is no thc in hemp oil, but it also lacks many other cannabinoids that are credited with aiding the healing process. THC salve is made by using iso oil (guess you can use any extraction method really) and mixing it with salve. Any non medicated salve base will do, or you can mix it with cream. It depends on the intended application.

Filox, in you're case, make the salve, then on one leg apply the salve with THC oil to one wound, then the salve by itself to the other.

And yes, I've tried a well made salve, and that shit works better than polysporin.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
22-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Oh God, now I sound like a nutcase... What, you people were never young punks who did all sorts of stupid things, like burning your hand with a cigarette just to see if you can? Or cut your self with raz... OK, OK, I got it, it's a bit too much, fine.

Smile

I just always liked to experiment on myself rather than on some animal, specially if we talking about stupid unimportant things like a cigarette burn. First of all, I do not consider it self-hurting, because it does not hurt me. You see I have a huge pain threshold and I can withstand all sorts of pain, so I wouldn't even feel that. Also, the high heat form the cigarette burns the nerves and kills your pain before it becomes too much. As for the burn mark, it is so small and it would be in a hidden place, that no one would ever see it.

Do not think of me as crazy, I never did these kinds of experiments, I do not cut pieces of myself just to see how much I can bleed. I am not retarded. It all sounds much, much worse that it really is in my head.

Now that you've said your point, I will have to think about this, because I can see how crazy I could sound if I say to people I have burned myself to test some oil...

Smile

O I might just do it all in secret and not tell you?

Big Grin

As for the oil, that is my biggest problem, I was thinking on experimenting and using THC oil. For that I need a bit more Cannabis, it is illegal here and pretty expensive. So you see, I am in a tight spot here, not much I can do for any kind of experiments... Now we can see why did they made it all illegal, if you can't experiment in a normal environment, how are we ever going to prove anything? Stupid. Have to solve that problem, then I'm gonna cut my leg off. No, not cut, burn. No wait, not... A shit, fuck you.

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
22-05-2012, 06:15 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 06:34 AM by DeepThought.)
Ok, I wasn't suggesting you burn lab-rats to test your theories on thc oil and burn wound healing. The experiment I'd want to do would involve general safety and aging/longevity. See what happens to rats that are exposed around the clock at different doses.

Will they be predisposed to certain health problems? Will they live longer that rats never exposed? If they do that warrant further studies into this plant and it's compounds.
It would be a step towards prooving the claims people make about it being good for you and fighting cancer. You can demonstrate the effects in a living creature rather than cell cultures in test-tubes.

MJ is delivered with food so lung damage/carcinogens through smoking are skipped for this experiment. Only the effects of THC and cannabinoids will matter that way.

I was thinking of a longevity experiment. If you were an actual research scientist with credentials you would be able to run this study yourself legally. There would be security standards and bureaucracy/paperwork bullshit for tracking Schedule 1 drugs. Doing it legit might actually get you some funding even though you might be working for peanuts for a few years at least the costs of running the lab would be covered.

There are plenty of experiments done involving cannabis all the time. Government here doesn't block access to qualified research scientists.

That said I don't think rats weigh much compared with a human. How much plant material do you think a rat would need? Even in countries where it is expensive it would be affordable to keep some rats high around the clock.

22-05-2012, 05:12 PM
You just gotta have this vid in this thread... Smile

Filox, if you're at work, it's Family Guy's 'Bag of Weed'! Big Grin

"Everything is better with a bag 'o weed" lalalala Tongue

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
23-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Yes, I am at work, but I know the episode. Thanx for the info.

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson