Official Cannabis Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
23-11-2011, 07:42 PM
RE: Official Cannabis Thread
Just as a side note, everclear may be readily available, but if you don't want to waste your bud, I'd suggest using iso so you can get far more of the THC. It is also very readily available. Every big city has a feed plant, and most rural towns have feed stores. Both will likely carry iso in large quantities.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2011, 07:52 PM
(23-11-2011 07:42 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just as a side note, everclear may be readily available, but if you don't want to waste your bud, I'd suggest using iso so you can get far more of the THC. It is also very readily available. Every big city has a feed plant, and most rural towns have feed stores. Both will likely carry iso in large quantities.

Stark, do you cook with the oil you made in iso? This is a n00b question, but isn't that slightly poisonous? And if you are cooking with it, how much do you use? Say in a batch of brownies?

(Not that Everclear isn't also poisonous to the liver).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-11-2011, 08:11 PM
(23-11-2011 07:52 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-11-2011 07:42 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just as a side note, everclear may be readily available, but if you don't want to waste your bud, I'd suggest using iso so you can get far more of the THC. It is also very readily available. Every big city has a feed plant, and most rural towns have feed stores. Both will likely carry iso in large quantities.

Stark, do you cook with the oil you made in iso? This is a n00b question, but isn't that slightly poisonous? And if you are cooking with it, how much do you use? Say in a batch of brownies?

(Not that Everclear isn't also poisonous to the liver).

Iso oil is very thick, and a small drop is enough to get you flying. Cooking with it is difficult, because it doesn't easily dissolve in any recipes, and because of the potency, would be very hard to measure. Plus, cooking causes THC to evaporate. The canna butter slows this evaporation, retaining more THC inside your goodies. So iso oil is best left for smoking.

There is no alcohol in iso oil (when made properly). All of the solvent is evaporated away, leaving behind the thick oil. The evaporation is imperative. Alcohol is toxic if inhaled, and that's exactly what you are planning to do with the iso oil. DO NOT make oil without being EXTREMELY familiar with the entire process, INCLUDING safety. Alcohol fumes are extremely flammable, and fumes are exactly what you are making when you evaporate alcohol!

It's really hard to say how much to put in a batch of brownies. A half cup of my canna butter is enough to make 50 cookies. One of them will get you pretty buzzed, and two will knock out Mike Tyson. That said, I've had the same cookies made by a friend that were less than half as strong. It all depends on how much weed you use, and how good it is. (Most people use shake, but there's really good shake and really shitty shake, so again, it depends on a lot of things)

Just visiting.

-SR
23-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Isopropyl versus ethanol. What's the diff?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
23-11-2011, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 11:12 PM by Erxomai.)
[quote='GirlyMan' pid='55692'

[/quote]

It's cooler to say "Iso" than "Etha".

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-11-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm thinking Stark's gotta farm; a buncha peeps need to visit... where's that jam again...

...yeah, buddy! Back to teh garden. Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-11-2011, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 11:21 PM by Erxomai.)
(23-11-2011 11:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...yeah, buddy! Back to teh garden. Big Grin

Here I used to think they meant Eden. I like your garden better.
(23-11-2011 08:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Iso oil is very thick, and a small drop is enough to get you flying. Cooking with it is difficult, because it doesn't easily dissolve in any recipes, and because of the potency, would be very hard to measure. Plus, cooking causes THC to evaporate. The canna butter slows this evaporation, retaining more THC inside your goodies. So iso oil is best left for smoking.

There is no alcohol in iso oil (when made properly). All of the solvent is evaporated away, leaving behind the thick oil. The evaporation is imperative. Alcohol is toxic if inhaled, and that's exactly what you are planning to do with the iso oil. DO NOT make oil without being EXTREMELY familiar with the entire process, INCLUDING safety. Alcohol fumes are extremely flammable, and fumes are exactly what you are making when you evaporate alcohol!

It's really hard to say how much to put in a batch of brownies. A half cup of my canna butter is enough to make 50 cookies. One of them will get you pretty buzzed, and two will knock out Mike Tyson. That said, I've had the same cookies made by a friend that were less than half as strong. It all depends on how much weed you use, and how good it is. (Most people use shake, but there's really good shake and really shitty shake, so again, it depends on a lot of things)

Thanks for the reply, Stark. That last part is why I don't like to buy edibles from the local apothecary. I don't think they make them as potent as I do here at home from my shake.

The oil I think I did try once from my dispensary. But they didn't really tell me what to do with it and I couldn't tell that it was any different than just smoking bud.

24-11-2011, 04:51 AM
(23-11-2011 09:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

The main difference is the ease with which iso can be obtained. It's not so easy to get 99% pure ethanol, since it normally has additives. If you can get it though, it would also make a good solvent. Just be sure it's pure. Also be sure to add 3 or 4 drops of water at the end of the evaporation to cause a fast, but short spike in temperature to drive out any remaining traces of your solvent.

Just visiting.

-SR
24-11-2011, 04:55 AM
HOC,

I've mentioned it before, but it may have been before your time here. I am a licenced grower. And a pretty kick ass one too, if I do say so myself! Wink

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-11-2011, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2011 08:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-11-2011 04:51 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The main difference is the ease with which iso can be obtained. It's not so easy to get 99% pure ethanol, since it normally has additives. If you can get it though, it would also make a good solvent. Just be sure it's pure. Also be sure to add 3 or 4 drops of water at the end of the evaporation to cause a fast, but short spike in temperature to drive out any remaining traces of your solvent.

99% ethanol (198 proof) is very expensive, it's laboratory grade. 95% ethanol (190 proof) is available at my corner liquor store. Isopropyl is poisonous and I wouldn't drink it or smoke it. Ethanol I consume like daily. What difference can that 4% really make?

(24-11-2011 04:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  HOC,

I've mentioned it before, but it may have been before your time here. I am a licenced grower. And a pretty kick ass one too, if I do say so myself! Wink

Damn I got to figure out how to get me one o' them consumer licenses. I'm a diabetic with labs saying I got neuropathy, and labs saying I got glaucoma, but really the only reason I want one is for extreme ennui, commonly known as can'tgiveashititis.

Breathing - it's more art than science.