Official Cannabis Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
RE: Official Cannabis Thread
(02-12-2011 09:35 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 09:33 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  So umm am i the only one that realized that Discovery Channel has a show called Weed Wars Big Grin

Has that already started? I so want to check that out!

Yeah lol xD it is very interesting to me, you should sooooo check it out! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DaylightDusk's post
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
(19-11-2011 01:54 AM)defacto7 Wrote:  Ok, you guys are gonna think I'm a real dweeb. You will laugh and scoff at me because I am so weird and not cool like the rest of you but, but... I don't smoke it...... I EAT IT!

I cook it, I make spaghetti sauce with it. I strain it in warm milk, I put it in delicious German baked goods... Pancakes, waffles, sloppy Joes, Chinese food, double chocolate brownies, in my breakfast cereal, brew it in my coffee, I love it cooked in a flan...

Now this is what I call a flavor enhancer! NO MSG!

we eat it too! Martha Stewart cookie recipes work well with pot butter Smile

I use it for medical reasons illegally - eating it gives me more of a body high to reduce my pain best and my lungs hurt any time i have ever tried to smoke it.

We have been getting it as gifts - live in BC after all - so have no idea about quality, cost, name, etc. are there really differences or is that just for movies?
04-12-2011, 02:07 PM
There really is massive differences between strains, and quality.

There are two main types of medical cannabis, indica and sativa. (Others, like ruderalis, and hemp are not generally considered "medical) Indica will give you a body stone, while sativa will give you a head high. Almost all strains are a cross between the two, and depending on how much more one genetic trait shows than another dictates how much more of a body stone/head high you get.

As for quality, most people look at it in terms of potency (one grower can grow the exact same strain as another and get a much more potent plant, depending on the quality of care and nutrients) However, I also take into account how much yield, amount of plant matter left behind after harvest, the flavor with regard to synthetic vs organic nutrient, the flush, and many other factors, when I consider quality. Some strains I grow I would never even let some smokers try, because they are just too potent.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-12-2011, 03:55 PM
(04-12-2011 02:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  There really is massive differences between strains, and quality.

thanks for the info.

Sometimes they give us what they call shake. what is it and how does it differ?

we have not been measuring it very well - and then never know how potent the cookie will be until we eat some and then wait hours for a high to hit. Is there a better way? what do you recommend? Is there a way not to taste it as much - it has such a strong almost oregano taste which i do not like. We have also tried making some green dragon but i hate the taste of that even more.

My Dr mentioned a pill form without all the high side effects. have you heard of this?
04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
If you are getting shake, it's likely actually trim. Trim is the leftovers from amnicuring buds. You cut the leaf matter off, and there is much THC left on the trimmings, so it makes good extracts like canna butter. If you really sidlike the taste, and would like to be more accurate, I'd suggest using kief instead of shake/trim. Kief is the tricomes knocked off the plant. The easiest way is to use bubble bags, te ones used for making bubble hash, but using dry ice instead. Put your dried shake in a pail, add some dry ice, then mix it up a little. Place your bubble bag over top of the pail, turn it all upside down, and shake over a large piece of VERY CLEAN glass or poly. In just a couple minutes you'll have some nice blonde kief. The longer you shake it the more you get, but the quality gets poorer. 4 or 5 minutes is the most I shake it for. Scoop it up and simmer it in butter for a half hour or so. You'll be left with far less vegetable matter in your butter. The veg matter, or more specifically, the chlorophyl, is what gives the butter such a strong taste.

Go to youtube and search "dry ice hash". Then, instead of pressing the kief, leave it loose, and it will soak into the butter beautifully.

05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
So yeah, have you ever smoked so much you faceplanted on the floor and started twitching and your friends flipped out? o.O
05-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Stark, is there a specific strain that you recommend your patients who suffer from depression and/or anxiety try out?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Well, for depression without anxiety, a very sativa strain like white widow, elephant, or trainwreck. They have little effect on the body, and tend to be energizing and uplifting. For depression always in smalll doses though. Getting high can cause things like paranoia, which can suck just as bad as the depression. So little doses spread out.

When anxiety is involved, I recommend a more rounded strain, since the calming effects are as important as the uplifting ones. With anxiety I like to try for that mellow feeling. A kush cross is nice for this. Bubba kush (extra mellow), AK-48 ( a good half and half), or Domina (if you can find a good phenotype. Not many people have a good Domina anymore). Again, it's important to keep the doses fairly small. Anxiety and paranoia do not mix, so for anxiety, I like my patients to ease into it so slowly that at first they don't really feel anything much at all. It gets them accustomed to the feeling so there are no suprises, and the fear that comes with them.

Treating psycological disorders is tricky. Cannabis can do wonders for it, but it takes a longer, more careful approach. And some people, no matter how cautiously they use cannabis, are just not good cannabis patients. Always, ALWAYS approach cannabis with caution when you suffer from depression or anxiety. Get your health provider in on it, and discuss with them what works for you and what doesn't. In this type of case, more than any other, get a scrip!
Got pain? no problem. Can't sleep? I got the solution. Have depression? Be prepared to work together for a while to figure out what works.

06-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Thanks, Stark,
This is helpful information, as well as food for thought.

I live in Washington and have a medical authorization, but just about any Joe Smoke can get one from a "Pot Doc," and I haven't had the guts to discuss it with my "real doc."
(Pausing for the chastisement...)

For 44 years I was an ardent drone for the Just Say No Army. Cigarettes are just filthy smelling, but that MaryJewAnna is the Deveel's Weed, children! Then two years ago my StepBob (that's step dad to those of you who haven't met him yet) introduced to the joys of a pot brownie. Soon I was growing my own White Widow seeds I surreptitiously purchased from a fine establishment in Amsterdam online. Thankfully, through the Lord's Blessings and some luck, I learned how to clone, because the next time I tried ordering seeds, I waited some weeks to receive an envelope that had been opened and the contents removed and replaced with a note from your friendly neighborhood US Customs and Border Protection under the auspices of the Department of Homeland Security that my said seeds were considered contraband under the Tea Party Act and if I had a problem with that I could call their 800- number.

All background to say that I find the herb to be extremely medicinal in alleviating my depressive and anxious symptoms and insomnia and various aches and pains. I only got paranoid one time when I bet on the wrong outcome when I ate a bunch of shake that I had made oil from...wrongly assuming most of the THC had leached out. I was so out of it I began to fear I was going to be stuck that way and how was I going to pay the rent if I couldn't get out of bed?

So while I find alleviation for "symptoms" I have to also wonder what your thoughts are on the cure also increasing the symptoms when I'm not using? I mean to ask, how likely would it be that one's condition of depression and anxiety would increase because of the use of something that alleviates the current symptoms? And possibly related, are you aware of any information about correlating MJ use with Antidepressants? My initial Googles of the Interwebs didn't lead me upon any convincing paths.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
06-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Wish I had some nuggets like this.

[Image: tumblr_lq5tssUOuU1qlz799o1_500.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 4 users Like germanyt's post