Official Cannabis Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
03-01-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: Official Cannabis Thread
What about LEDs in conjunction a sodium vapor light? I would think that would provide the lumens while reducing the energy output.

I have the greatest grow house ever built ... all inside my noggin. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Kim, unfortunately, if you've got room for two lights, you're better off using two HIDSs instead of an HID and an LED. The LEDs give off less heat, but they also have to be way closer to the plants (and you still only get a little more than half the lumens) which would end up blocking the light from another unit anyways.

LEDs are only good for growing greens right now. Give it a couple more years.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-01-2015, 01:35 PM
So you're saying, by the time Kansas legalizes, I will have my architectural plans in place and all I will need to do is change the light bulbs. Fantastic! Big Grin

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-01-2015, 02:03 PM
(03-01-2015 01:35 PM)kim Wrote:  So you're saying, by the time Kansas legalizes, I will have my architectural plans in place and all I will need to do is change the light bulbs. Fantastic! Big Grin

Sort of......by the time Kansas legalized, you'll need to change your light fixtures and ballasts. But since you're in Kansas, you may as well wait until they produce a cannabis strain that doesn't need any light. You'll be waiting that long anyways! Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I'll be able to grow some right out in my veggie garden this year. But I bet strains available now aren't even well adapted to outdoors anymore, or are they?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-01-2015, 02:41 PM
They'll grow outdoors but it's not recommended because they easily are "contaminated" by other strains. Cloning is the best way to propagate strains. Also... you don't want males & seeds.

But hey... if you just want the growing experience, the great outdoors is the place to do it. I love letting nature take its course. Smile You might get something new & unexpected.

04-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Oh really? I was under the impression that LED technology has gotten better and can now replace HPS lights. Damn it, it is a much cheaper option, but I guess I will still need to spend a lot of money on regular equipment.

Well, thanx anyway. At least now I know.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-01-2015, 07:37 AM
(03-01-2015 02:41 PM)kim Wrote:  They'll grow outdoors but it's not recommended because they easily are "contaminated" by other strains. Cloning is the best way to propagate strains. Also... you don't want males & seeds.

But hey... if you just want the growing experience, the great outdoors is the place to do it. I love letting nature take its course. Smile You might get something new & unexpected.

Well, I have a big veggie garden with raised beds that just lends itself to growing a few plants. A few is all I am allowed to anyway. Nothing around here to cross contaminate, unless some of my neighbors will try to grow some, which is very unlikely.

I don't have the space in the house, I built a small, super efficient house.

I grew it back in the early 70s, there were lots of strains then too, but all imported. Doesn't look like any of those are still around...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-01-2015, 02:21 PM
So much of the professional growing is done very scientifically these days. I'd prefer to do it the old fashioned way, myself - outdoors just feels natural. Also... from personal experience Dodgy ... growing indoors, the odor can be overpowering, even with good air handling equipment.

If you do get some nice specimens Dom, be sure to post pics here. They can be such beautiful plants. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-01-2015, 11:02 PM
So...question, Stark. Is using a vaporizer indoors safe if you have kids in the house? Of course not in front of them, but after they go to bed is it cool to do it? It's risky to smoke outdoors where I'm at, even at night because the flash of the lighter and the unavoidable coughing makes it so conspicuous. But I can't smoke out the car (still stinks in the morning when I go to work), and have no garage or available sort of out house.

I'd love to be able to try and quell my drinking by herbage, but it's too much of a hassle to get high. If I could vape and know that it's safe that would be the bee's knees, but I'm not sure if I should.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco