Officially....Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-05-2013, 07:46 AM
RE: Officially....Agnostic
(01-05-2013 12:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to the dark side.

I confess that I was wondering if you were teetering on the brink when you joined the forum.

Out of curiosity, why 'agnostic' and not 'atheist'?

IMO, it's impossible to be a "1" or a "7". That takes omniscience... which is something that no one possesses. The closer you are to 1, the more affinity you have to believing in a deity and vice versa.

Anything that is not a 7 or a 1 is an agnostic.

She might be a true agnostic and be a 4; meaning she has no affinity towards believing in a God or not believing in a God.

Once she decides to choose a path, she'll either be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 07:53 AM
(01-05-2013 12:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to the dark side.

I know we all say the "dark side" in jest (or do we Evil_monster?) but I prefer to think of it as the bright side of life Big Grin

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
01-05-2013, 08:03 AM
(01-05-2013 07:46 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  IMO, it's impossible to be a "1" or a "7". That takes omniscience... which is something that no one possesses.

Takes faith. Imma 7... and you're a zero. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-05-2013, 09:53 AM
(01-05-2013 01:34 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I noticed, Christians like to bash athiests, and not agnostics.

That's because they don't know what the two terms actually mean. An agnostic is an atheist with respect to all known gods... including theirs. Agnostics also claim that there could be a god or that if there is one, it is not knowable.

The problem with the agnostic position is that is describes the unknown. That's both a logical fallacy and an empirical impossibility. One can be agnostic about vanilla ice cream but one cannot be agnostic about gods, because once you describe the thing (god) you've applied attributes to the thing and if that thing doesn't exist in such a manner that it can be tested... you can't apply attributes to it.

Just some food for thought. Congratulations on thinking rationally. Thumbsup

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
01-05-2013, 10:43 AM

It's all belief. Everyone believes what they believe for their own reasons. Sometimes we believe because someone we trust says it. Sometimes we believe because we've had a direct experience. Sometimes we believe because we're afraid or because we hope something is true.

Rather than reject beliefs like a skeptic, I say embrace them. The placebo effect really happens--and I believe that proves faith is greater than knowledge.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
(01-05-2013 10:43 AM)Egor Wrote:  It's all belief.

No, it isn't. When I go to my doctor with a pain in my abdomen and she tells me I've got a bladder infection, I believe her. If it doesn't heal and I go back and have an MRI done and then we find that I have cancer... I accept that fact.

In the first instance, I believe her because she has more education than I with regard to medicine. She is making an educated guess at my ailment. However, once we have done MRIs, biopsies, et al, there is no longer a need for belief. We now have evidence and thus, we must now accept what that evidence has shown us.

There is a remarkable difference between believing something is true or untrue based on hearsay, past experience, coincidence, etcetera and accepting that something is true or untrue as a result of the examination of evidence.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
My sister in law is extremely christian. Yes, they go to church 3 times a week. She brings her 4 children, and all praise God. Some people think they can speak to tongues, others think they can predict the future. WHAT IS THIS??Laughat
When she does find out, I need to be able to hold my ground. What are some basic Christian arguments???Blink

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
01-05-2013, 12:26 PM
(01-05-2013 12:13 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  My sister in law is extremely christian. Yes, they go to church 3 times a week. She brings her 4 children, and all praise God. Some people think they can speak to tongues, others think they can predict the future. WHAT IS THIS??Laughat
When she does find out, I need to be able to hold my ground. What are some basic Christian arguments???Blink

Are you asking what Christians argue or are you asking for refutations to Christian arguments?

Here's a good reference refuting agnosticism... you can read it or listen to it and it is free:

Against the Gods? - Stefan Molyneux

For refutations of Christian arguments....

The Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism - Aronra

The Bible for Beginners - Thunderfoot

Arguing Atheism - Stefan Molyneux & Peter Boghossian

Critical Thinking Crash Course by Peter Boghossian

That ought to be a good start. Wink

[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
01-05-2013, 12:34 PM
(01-05-2013 12:13 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  My sister in law is extremely christian. Yes, they go to church 3 times a week. She brings her 4 children, and all praise God. Some people think they can speak to tongues, others think they can predict the future. WHAT IS THIS??Laughat

Those are called spiritual gifts.

Speaking in tongues should never happen in public without a translator.

See this: 1 Corinthians 14

Prophesying isn't predicting the future (read the above verses). It's being the mouthpiece of God. Predicting the the future is soothsaying and is considered a pagan practice.

See this: Deuteronomy 18:9-14

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
(01-05-2013 07:46 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  IMO, it's impossible to be a "1" or a "7". That takes omniscience... which is something that no one possesses. The closer you are to 1, the more affinity you have to believing in a deity and vice versa.

Anything that is not a 7 or a 1 is an agnostic.

She might be a true agnostic and be a 4; meaning she has no affinity towards believing in a God or not believing in a God.

Once she decides to choose a path, she'll either be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist.

Ha! People with all the "1" and "7" and "4", agnostic this, gnostic that....

The enormity of irrelevance just continually cracks my shit up. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post