Oh Dear...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 06:17 PM by Grassy Knoll.)
RE: Oh Dear...
About 2500 miles right? Around 36 hours at 70mph?

You mean to tell me you're going to drive right past the grand canyon with saying HELLOOOO...OOoo...Oooo...ooo...?

Depending on which way you go, I'm thinking Mount Rushmore, the badlands, Moab desert, Memphis BBQ... too much to drive by and not stop and experience.

Here's what I'd do. Instead of putting her on a plane. Let her do a solo cross country tour by train. I think they do vacation packages for that kind of thing. Then she could just fly back.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
04-02-2013, 06:17 PM
(04-02-2013 06:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Mapquest says from Richmond, VA to LA is 39 hours....that's based on driving the speed limit and never stopping and never having anything slow you down. Pretty impossible in my experience.

Unless you have an unlimited gas tank, a cache of Depends, and food and drink for the whole trip...I'm thinking you better at a minimum of a day to that...and that's just one way.

You are pretty much looking at shooting a week going both ways, and that's not stopping for any visits or other diversions.

That's what I originally figured. Either way, it's a trip I'd rather take with friends than an old braud who's running away from her problems. That sounds cold, I know, but eh, I can't help what I feel.

That said, if we decided to take the plunge and make it an actual event, I wouldn't mind stopping to see some significant sites. "Creation Museum" jumps to mind. Maybe Yellowstone at some point. It would be an interesting endeavor and I'd totally document the whole thing (I've got an HD documentary-style camera and this would be the perfect time to use it). Add a nifty soundtrack and all that. Tongue

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
(04-02-2013 06:17 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 06:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Mapquest says from Richmond, VA to LA is 39 hours....that's based on driving the speed limit and never stopping and never having anything slow you down. Pretty impossible in my experience.

Unless you have an unlimited gas tank, a cache of Depends, and food and drink for the whole trip...I'm thinking you better at a minimum of a day to that...and that's just one way.

You are pretty much looking at shooting a week going both ways, and that's not stopping for any visits or other diversions.

That's what I originally figured. Either way, it's a trip I'd rather take with friends than an old braud who's running away from her problems. That sounds cold, I know, but eh, I can't help what I feel.

That said, if we decided to take the plunge and make it an actual event, I wouldn't mind stopping to see some significant sites. "Creation Museum" jumps to mind. Maybe Yellowstone at some point. It would be an interesting endeavor and I'd totally document the whole thing (I've got an HD documentary-style camera and this would be the perfect time to use it). Add a nifty soundtrack and all that. Tongue
Yes! Great idea! Isn't there a creation theme park in florida as well? Lol! Could go there as well.
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Luckily my sister's an atheist as well, so we could leave faithful-and-devout at the hotel while we go to the Creation Museum and laugh at everything. lol

04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't blame you one bit. I wouldn't exactly be excited about a cross-country trip with my grandmother either. Would I do it in your shoes? I dunno...but if you decide to stay at home you can still get some great BBQ if you're near Williamsburg. Peirce's Pit BBQ is pretty damn good...almost as good as some of the great BBQ in Memphis...now my mouth is watering.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
04-02-2013, 06:38 PM
(04-02-2013 06:29 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't blame you one bit. I wouldn't exactly be excited about a cross-country trip with my grandmother either. Would I do it in your shoes? I dunno...but if you decide to stay at home you can still get some great BBQ if you're near Williamsburg. Peirce's Pit BBQ is pretty damn good...almost as good as some of the great BBQ in Memphis...now my mouth is watering.
Since you mention it, my dad is getting up in years and recently had to have back surgery. While laid up in the hospital, he watched the Travel Channel all day and ended up making a list of BBQ/Burger/Sandwich joints all over the country that he wants to visit before he gets too old to do any of it.

Maybe I'll try to drag the whole family into this thing. Consider That'd take a lot of pressure off me.

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-02-2013, 06:46 PM
(04-02-2013 06:38 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 06:29 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't blame you one bit. I wouldn't exactly be excited about a cross-country trip with my grandmother either. Would I do it in your shoes? I dunno...but if you decide to stay at home you can still get some great BBQ if you're near Williamsburg. Peirce's Pit BBQ is pretty damn good...almost as good as some of the great BBQ in Memphis...now my mouth is watering.
Since you mention it, my dad is getting up in years and recently had to have back surgery. While laid up in the hospital, he watched the Travel Channel all day and ended up making a list of BBQ/Burger/Sandwich joints all over the country that he wants to visit before he gets too old to do any of it.

Maybe I'll try to drag the whole family into this thing. Consider That'd take a lot of pressure off me.

OK, whatever way you cut it, it won't all be sparkles and unicorns.

But the good parts will be irreplaceable memories that will warm you for the rest of your life.

And there will be hilarious stories. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-02-2013, 07:01 PM
(04-02-2013 06:38 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  

Well, Peirce's Pitt BBQ has been on quite a few shows and magazines, I'm pretty sure the travel channel as well. The have several articles in which they've been featured posted on their walls. Their prices are very reasonable, but it is typically a pretty busy (but relatively small) restaurant. If you want a table indoors I'd recommend avoiding the peak hours, especially if you're taking the whole family. One other side note, if you are using GPS to get there the stupid thing may get you real close to it and then tell you to make U-Turns indefinitely, follow the signs.

04-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Sounds horrible.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
04-02-2013, 07:41 PM
i think u gotta do it man. i think its safe to assume that she is not long for this world and i feel that you are in part responsable for helping her through a hard time and for helping her realize a dream. i understand that she might drive you nuts, believe me i can relate, but if you dont do it you will regret it when shes gone. a few days of hell is a small price to pay. trust me on this.