Oh, FFS. A Falwell?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2016, 12:09 AM
RE: Oh, FFS. A Falwell?
(20-11-2016 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There will be huge resistance to anything a "Falwell" would try to do.
He can't teach Creatardism in the public schools.
I think this sort of stupidity will make people realize what they voted for.

Creationism represent little danger to public education since ID was canned (but one should remain prudent for the hydra might grow a new head). What might continue and/or get worse, is the instrumentalisation of national and international history to beat the drum of nationalism, neo-colonialism and manichean interpretation of history; a strong opposition to comprehensive sexual education; a continued support of abstinence only programs and budget cuts in public education to the benefit of private and charter schools, reinforcing class and race disparity in education opportunities.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
21-11-2016, 12:24 AM
(21-11-2016 12:09 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There will be huge resistance to anything a "Falwell" would try to do.
He can't teach Creatardism in the public schools.
I think this sort of stupidity will make people realize what they voted for.

Creationism represent little danger to public education since ID was canned (but one should remain prudent for the hydra might grow a new head). What might continue and/or get worse, is the instrumentalisation of national and international history to beat the drum of nationalism, neo-colonialism and manichean interpretation of history; a strong opposition to comprehensive sexual education; a continued support of abstinence only programs and budget cuts in public education to the benefit of private and charter schools, reinforcing class and race disparity in education opportunities.

Also, the approval of school vouchers, which is nothing more than a ploy to get government funding for religious schools. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-11-2016, 03:16 AM
(20-11-2016 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I hope he does appoint him.
If you're going full retard, why not do it up right and really go whole hog.
The worse it gets, the better the insurance he will never get reelected.

Some people have to learn everything the hard way.

I have similar thoughts. Fascism and authoritarianism has been brewing in America for a very long time, just think of the McCarthy witch hunts to see how far back these tendencies go. America has many checks and balances though so it never really plays out. The downside of this though is that it never really burns out either and people don't ever find out for sure that it's a bad idea so these tendencies simmer away until they can get fuelled again. It looks like America is about to learn that lesson with Trump.

To see what I mean, imagine it was proved that Trump had committed large scale voter fraud and Clinton should have actually won. Trump is thrown into jail and Clinton becomes president. You'd still have all the Trump supporters ready to vote for the next demagogue to come along. And there would be one coming along quite soon now that Trump has shown that it works.

Unfortunately letting fascism flare up and burn out ruins a country and an entire generation so it's always better to stop it getting a foothold. Unfortunately it's too late for that.
21-11-2016, 08:21 AM
(20-11-2016 07:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 07:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If I didn't have two kids who'd be entering into the fucked education system he will leave in his wake, I'd say the same thing. But I'm not willing to bargain on such bullshit

The pendulum is swinging so far to the left under trump that there will probably be a reaction to this farce.

I have the names and phone numbers of my 2 Senators and my congressman and tomorrow I'm going to phone them up. I'm trying to think what exactly I want to say. If you have suggestions BeardedDude, let me know. Of course I realize that I'll be talking to a intern or unpaid volunteer but that's to be expected.

I've never done anything like this before, phoning my Senators. I'm pretty shy about such things but I can't just sit and do nothing. Every little thing helps.

What should I say? I gotta write it all down before I call.

I'm not sure what to say to them. I would probably iterate that as an advocate of science, a science classroom is no place to discuss pseudoscience or religion and that appointing someone like Falwell or even considering someone like him (or Carson) sends the wrong message. Teaching kids bullshit sets them up to be behind when they finish their primary education.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
21-11-2016, 08:22 AM
(20-11-2016 08:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 07:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If I didn't have two kids who'd be entering into the fucked education system he will leave in his wake, I'd say the same thing. But I'm not willing to bargain on such bullshit

I've been at all three legs of the educational seat- student, parent and then teacher. That seat has to have all three legs to keep from tipping over. If the parents aren't involved, the best of intentions by a teacher will amount to little. If they do care, and the teachers are shit, it's also a problem. Kids in general would do well if the parents and the teachers were good, since they are young and impressionable. What I am getting at here is that your leadership and parenting will help your prospective(?) children get a decent education. Maybe this helps, maybe not.

Sure, my wife and I have plans to be heavily involved in our children's education. But it is impossible to overlook the influence that the education system can and does have, regardless of our input. In fact, my son is so hard headed that he and I still argue over the fact that spiders are flipping insects and it's all because his mother told them they were. He isn't even 5 yet and he is arguing with his SCIENTIST DAD about science.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Fear not.

Trump picked Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
23-11-2016, 12:43 PM
(23-11-2016 12:32 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Fear not.

Seems capable enough. Looks like she's a big fan of school voucher programs. Using Louisiana, Indiana, and Florida as examples of success stories doesn't help make her case. And using tax credits to deliver them don't really help poor folk who don't make enough to pay taxes anyway. She married into ponzi scheme money so I guess it's not all that surprising.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Oh goody, a voucher advocate...

Rolleyes
23-11-2016, 12:56 PM
(23-11-2016 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

Oh goody, a voucher advocate...

Rolleyes

Better than fuckstick Falwell and creationism.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
23-11-2016, 01:28 PM
(23-11-2016 12:56 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Oh goody, a voucher advocate...

Rolleyes

Better than fuckstick Falwell and creationism.

Agreed. But still bad. Vouchers mean my tax dollars go to private schools where they are free to teach things like creationism.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post