Oh My God !

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Oh My God !
"Jesus Christ" or "Jesus H Christ" was heard on an infrequent but fairly consistent basis when i was growing up in 70's and 80's.

It has brought joy to my heart to see OMG move into the mainstream from places like on line gaming.

You can barely go a day without a Christian or Christian apologist uttering it.

I remember when blasphemy of this kind earned at least a glare from my grandmother and always felt wrong to me despite being an agnostic all my youth and early adulthood.

I can't imagine OMG has been going down too well in large parts of the USA either.

In the last 12 months or so, it has become noticeable (in the UK media) that more people are now say Oh My Gosh instead.

Has "Oh My God !" use in popular vernacular done the atheist position any good ?

[Image: XJlTk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2012, 09:12 AM
RE: Oh My God !
Hello Stan,

I don't see how the phrase could have changed much, aside from possibly adding sway to that little world in the middle; "my".

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I prefer the atheist position to the missionary position.

But more likely to hear "Oh my buddha", over here.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
22-08-2012, 09:26 AM
(22-08-2012 09:03 AM)Stan Wrote:  "Jesus Christ" or "Jesus H Christ" was heard on an infrequent but fairly consistent basis when i was growing up in 70's and 80's.

It has brought joy to my heart to see OMG move into the mainstream from places like on line gaming.

I remember when blasphemy of this kind earned at least a glare from my grandmother and always felt wrong to me despite being an agnostic all my youth and early adulthood.

I can't imagine OMG has been going down too well in large parts of the USA either.

In the last 12 months or so, it has become noticeable (in the UK media) that more people are now say Oh My Gosh instead.

Has "Oh My God !" use in popular vernacular done the atheist position any good ?

I tend to use "jesus h fucking christ" when really exasperated.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-08-2012, 09:29 AM
(22-08-2012 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:03 AM)Stan Wrote:  "Jesus Christ" or "Jesus H Christ" was heard on an infrequent but fairly consistent basis when i was growing up in 70's and 80's.

I tend to use "jesus h fucking christ" when really exasperated.

What does the H stand for? That one always confused me. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-08-2012, 09:31 AM
(22-08-2012 09:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  I tend to use "jesus h fucking christ" when really exasperated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

22-08-2012, 09:36 AM
(22-08-2012 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  I tend to use "jesus h fucking christ" when really exasperated.

Jesus H Fucking Christ is an old companion of mine, but these days I opt for Christ on a bike! Or Christ on a fucking bike! if the exasperation is a little deeper.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
22-08-2012, 09:42 AM
(22-08-2012 09:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What does the H stand for? That one always confused me. Dodgy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

I'm surprised I didn't learn this in seminary.

"Our Father who are in heaven, Harold be thy name."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
22-08-2012, 09:43 AM

"Hidden"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Hydrogen. Duh. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post