Oh My God !

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 01:54 PM
RE: Oh My God !
(22-08-2012 09:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  I tend to use "jesus h fucking christ" when really exasperated.

What does the H stand for? That one always confused me. Dodgy

"Henry," or if you're really devout, "Hank."

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Human Being's post
24-08-2012, 02:08 PM
I use all forms of religious exclamations on a daily basis. For me, profanity just kind of goes wherever my odd-ball mind wants it to go. In just the last couple of months, I went from "Jesus Christ!" to "Jesus fucking Christ!" to "Jesus titty-fucking Christ!" to simply "titty-fuck!"

I think that subconsciously, I just like toying with divine titles by adding absurd profanities to them. lol

In the end, Jesus, God; they're all made up mythological characters anyway. I see no reason to pay them any special respect when it comes to using them in daily language. Profane or otherwise.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 05:03 PM
(22-08-2012 05:50 PM)Stan Wrote:  "Is saying "oh my god" using his name in vain?
my friend always says "dont use gods name in vain" when i say oh my god. is he right, or is using gods name just when u use it with a cuss word?

This discussion has made me think of someone i haven't thought about in years: Michelle.

Michelle was a bookkeeper who worked at a company I joined in the '80s--a mousy, shy, extremely polite young woman who kept to herself, focusing only on her work (which she did very well) and never socializing with anyone. The boss loved her for being such a reliable and dedicated worker.

The second or third day I was on the job, I received a note from Michelle, beautifully handwritten in a small, precise script. I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere, but I'm too lazy to try to dig it out. The gist, though, was something like this:

"Hello, I wanted to let you know that I heard you talking the other day, and you said, 'Oh God.' I'm a Christian, and God is my father. When someone takes His name in vain like that, it hurts me. It feels as if they're insulting my father. So could I respectfully ask you to refrain from such language when I am within earshot? Thank you very much for your consideration.--Michelle"

I thought long and hard about how to respond. The next day I wrote back to Michelle, explaining that I understood about sensitivities to language, and that I would not deliberately use language she found offensive if I was aware she could hear. But I also said that the expression I used was extremely common, and most people did not have a problem with it. So if ever I slipped, I hoped she would excuse me.

Later I had occasion to mention the incident to a co-worker, someone who had been there a while. He said, "Oh yeah, we've all gotten that note from Michelle. I just told her to fuck off."

Twenty-five or 30 years ago I was more accommodating. If this happened today I'd be likely to take my friend's approach.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
24-08-2012, 06:35 PM
A coworker got me into lots of trouble a few years back by running to my boss and saying she was offended by my saying "God damn". I got royally chewed out about it and I am sure it was part of the decision process when I was replaced with a 'degreed accountant' a couple years later after six years and straightening things out to the CPA's satisfaction.

I puzzled over this a long time because that wasn't term I used, specifically because I didn't want to offend anyone. Then one day another coworker and I were talking about something that was going to take a long time to do as we had to fix someone else's error. I said "Awww damn'...she and I both looked at each other...that's what I had said the other time! Not 'God damn'.

So the adulterous slut that was running around on her husband got me in deep shit for offending her sensibilities when she didn't even hear me right. But the Christians in power ran with her allegation and from that point on, I was on the shit list.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post