Oh Sugar. Oh Honey honey.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Oh Sugar. Oh Honey honey.
(09-10-2015 08:14 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 07:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I went off sugar for 4 months.

I lowered extra carbs too.

Then summer happened and those bastards Ben and Jerry went on sale.
Before the summer, did you feel any changes? Tongue

After a few weeks I did actually start feeling better. I didn't go through the midday sleepy time. Smile. Well except on those very dark rainy days. Smile

I also consumed way fewer calories so I lost some weight without doing much different.

That said, sugar isn't the enemy. White flour isn't the enemy either, processed foods or even fast foods.

The problem is when people allow those things to become their main food groups.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I to feel so much better since I switched to cocaine.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
26-10-2015, 03:41 PM
(10-10-2015 01:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 08:14 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Before the summer, did you feel any changes? Tongue

After a few weeks I did actually start feeling better. I didn't go through the midday sleepy time. Smile. Well except on those very dark rainy days. Smile

I also consumed way fewer calories so I lost some weight without doing much different.

That said, sugar isn't the enemy. White flour isn't the enemy either, processed foods or even fast foods.

The problem is when people allow those things to become their main food groups.
Awesome.

Yeah, I don't write off sugar, I just limit it. I'm probably still well above the recommended limit of 30 grams or whatever per day. I think I consistently do less than 50, and probably hit under 30 most of the time. Of course any time you consume a pop, fruit drink or a sugary snack or a regular yogurt you are going to go wayyyyy over. I try to take those things out of my regular diet and treat them as very occasional treats Big Grin.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Sugar is crucial to brain function. Too much, too often can definitely be bad for you (I don't eat or drink a lot of sweets myself), just as water can. I don't worry about what I eat so much as how much I eat. Everything usable breaks down into amino acids to be absorbed, everything else flushes out.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
29-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Nothing is wrong with a little sugar.
29-10-2015, 01:20 PM
(29-10-2015 01:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Nothing is wrong with a little sugar.
True...but the average American consumes much more than a "little" sugar. Usually 2 to 3 times the maximum recommended intake amount per day.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
30-10-2015, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2015 06:58 AM by RinChi.)
My understanding of this is that all sugar is equally healthy/unhealthy on it's own. Eg. Table sugar, honey, corn syrup, molasses..... Whatever. That is to say for example, there is the same amount of calories in 1g of table sugar and 1g of honey sugar. The molecules are if not exactly, virtually identical. The real difference is a contextual one, the high solubility of the syrups and honey allow for more to be mixed in to beverages, thus higher doses.

As fruit goes, it is indeed healthier for 2 reasons, 1.There is way less sugar in a piece of fruit than a glass of juice from the same fruit. This is of course logical since it takes many pieces of fruit to make 1 glass of juice. 2. The fiber in the flesh of the fruit holds on to a lot of those sugars, so they aren't processed in to the blood stream all in a huge cascade as they do with juice or soda. This cascade of sugar hitting the system at once is what is responsible for the "sugar crash" many people feel after drinking lots of soda or eating lots of sweets. Essentially all the sugar floods your system giving you a high and a surge of energy, then the pancreas starts pumping out insulin to compensate, removing the sugar and storing it as fat, which in turn cause the lethargy and shitty feeling, one could liken it to riding a roller coaster. This also means that a piece of fruit will make you full much faster than just it's juice, resulting in less sugar consumed.

I've seen different numbers depending on the country, but the recommended allowance of free sugars(refined or added sugars) is usually between 30g to 40g per day for an adult. Which is basically a single can of coke worth. I always try to picture it in my head in teaspoons when I look at sugar content. So for a can of Coke that has lets say 39g of sugar, 5g = 1tsp., that means that little can of coke has 8 teaspoons of sugar crammed into it. Yuck!

Edit: Yeah, and America is far and away the worst offender here. I think I saw some figures somewhere that we consume like 2 to 3 times the recommended allowance on average, it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed and is really effecting our healthcare system negatively. We need much better nutrition education in schools here.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. -David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes RinChi's post
30-10-2015, 07:27 AM
I buy the completely unrefined stuff that looks like dirt. I put it on my porridge but that's about it. I put honey in my red bush tea though and I'll have about three cups a day.

I've recently bought a blender and am blending all kinds of fruit. I drink about two glasses a day. It means I get loads of fruit down me which I wouldn't normally eat, like kiwis and mango. I'm about to drink a smoothie I made with spinach. Spinach! I can't ever remember enjoying Spinach. But surprisingly if you eat it raw it's not actually bad, but most people cook it into a green ball of slime. Kale on the other hand is still disgusting. Something like that though would require some honey in it.

I was told that juicers aren't actually very good because they separate out the flesh from the sugary juice so you still get a sugar peak followed by a crash. I can see this happen after I've finished a drink and some liquid collects at the bottom that tastes much sweeter. I actually have a juicer that I bought years but I never used it because I didn't like wasting so much fruit. Blending is definitely the way to go.

I have been so ran down these last few months and constantly coming down with colds, like literally every second day or so. But since I've started drinking smoothies I'm so much more perky.
30-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Ok, quick and dirty explanation.

Simple sugars spike blood glucose levels faster than the more complex sugars found in fruits and vegetables. That excess sugar turns into fat. Muscle burns glucose. Inactive people are typically fatter and don't use those muscles as often to burn off glucose. Increased weight and inactivity are the major risk factors for insulin resistance (you put stress on the beta cells of your pancreas with all that excess glucose in your bloodstream). You really need to pay attention to your waist measurements - you can have a "normal" BMI, but if your waist is 40 inches or greater (men) or 35 (women) then you have a much higher risk of developing Type II diabetes.

Take home message- if you have an active lifestyle, are in good shape without a potbelly, don't stress so hard and enjoy that honey in your tea. If you're pudgy around the waist line, then you need to consider a switch to tea sweetened with stevia and cut out the fruit juices and cokes (including diet soda - that shit is terrible for you - a recent study demonstrated an increased risk of heart disease with diet soda drinkers - I'll see if I can find it).

Tl;dr - sugar makes you fat. Fat people are high risk for diabetes. Stop drinking soda.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
30-10-2015, 04:42 PM
(30-10-2015 10:17 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Ok, quick and dirty explanation.

Simple sugars spike blood glucose levels faster than the more complex sugars found in fruits and vegetables. That excess sugar turns into fat. Muscle burns glucose. Inactive people are typically fatter and don't use those muscles as often to burn off glucose. Increased weight and inactivity are the major risk factors for insulin resistance (you put stress on the beta cells of your pancreas with all that excess glucose in your bloodstream). You really need to pay attention to your waist measurements - you can have a "normal" BMI, but if your waist is 40 inches or greater (men) or 35 (women) then you have a much higher risk of developing Type II diabetes.

Take home message- if you have an active lifestyle, are in good shape without a potbelly, don't stress so hard and enjoy that honey in your tea. If you're pudgy around the waist line, then you need to consider a switch to tea sweetened with stevia and cut out the fruit juices and cokes (including diet soda - that shit is terrible for you - a recent study demonstrated an increased risk of heart disease with diet soda drinkers - I'll see if I can find it).

Tl;dr - sugar makes you fat. Fat people are high risk for diabetes. Stop drinking soda.

Well done! I tried Confused

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. -David Hume