Oh good, a new date for the Rapture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Rainbow Oh good, a new date for the Rapture
Biblical scholar's date for rapture: May 21, 2011
THEOLOGY
January 01, 2010|By Justin Berton, Chronicle Staff Writer
Harold Camping lets out a hearty chuckle when he considers the people who believe the world will end in 2012.

"That date has not one stitch of biblical authority," Camping says from the Oakland office where he runs Family Radio, an evangelical station that reaches listeners around the world. "It's like a fairy tale."

The real date for the end of times, he says, is in 2011.

The Mayans and the recent Hollywood movie "2012" have put the apocalypse in the popular mind this year, but Camping has been at this business for a long time. And while Armageddon is pop science or big-screen entertainment to many, Camping has followers from the Bay Area to China.

Camping, 88, has scrutinized the Bible for almost 70 years and says he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book. One night a few years ago, Camping, a civil engineer by trade, crunched the numbers and was stunned at what he'd found: The world will end May 21, 2011.

More (3 pages):

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-01/ba...me-camping

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 02:10 PM
RE: Oh good, a new date for the Rapture
I feel sorry for that guy. Come May 22, 2011, he will realize that he just wasted the last 70 years of his life.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
02-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I wasted just 2 on conspiracy theories and felt like crap - I can't even begin to imagine the pain he'll go through Sad
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
He already got it wrong once.

On Sept. 6, 1994, dozens of Camping's believers gathered inside Alameda's Veterans Memorial Building to await the return of Christ, an event Camping had promised for two years. Followers dressed children in their Sunday best and held Bibles open-faced toward heaven.

But the world did not end. Camping allowed that he may have made a mathematical error. He spent the next decade running new calculations, as well as overseeing a media company that has grown significantly in size and reach.

And his followers just kept following. And paying.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
When I take over the world, people like him will be stripped of technology and thrown on an island until they see that God won't save them from the island.
02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:"It's like a fairy tale."
Wow...

By the way, what do people, who believe that the world's gonna end soon, do when the day finally comes? Go nuts? Group somewhere and then go nuts? Die to embaressment the next morning?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
02-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Harold Camping is still alive, so he didn't die of embarrassment, unfortunately. He also has an audience since he can get his crackpot ideas aired, unfortunately. After his next prophacy failure he will go back to the book and recalculate the end of the earth yet again. And who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
03-01-2011, 04:24 AM
(02-01-2011 10:50 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:"It's like a fairy tale."
Wow...

By the way, what do people, who believe that the world's gonna end soon, do when the day finally comes? Go nuts? Group somewhere and then go nuts? Die to embaressment the next morning?

...or commit mass suicide xD.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
(03-01-2011 04:24 AM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  ...or commit mass suicide xD.

Not enough mass to create a better world. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-01-2011, 01:50 AM
(03-01-2011 08:32 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(03-01-2011 04:24 AM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  ...or commit mass suicide xD.

Not enough mass to create a better world. Tongue

Ooh dark, I like it Wink