Oh goody, something else to worry about.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Oh goody, something else to worry about.
So I'm already leery of my garden these days, what with the random fire ants that sneak up on me there. I'm usually pretty tolerant of spider webs in the garden even though I detest spiders, I'm glad they are there to eat the other bugs. But NOW (not for the faint of heart):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/a/36946612/uk...ider-bite/

Damn. Since this article didn't seem to give me a location, I looked up this kind of spider and yeah, it can live here. And oh goody, my yard has an abundance of one of its favorite foods (earwigs) and my attic has always been a haven for another of its favorites (silverfish). I try not to use bug spray in my garden unless I absolutely have to, because, well, bees. But this has me rethinking that stand.

I've already survived brown recluse bites, twice. And some unknown pustule filled garden bites in recent years (how DO you spell pus-y anyway?) and this article is the stuff my nightmares are made of.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
03-09-2017, 09:08 PM
RE: Oh goody, something else to worry about.
Yeah it says "woodlouse spider" never heard of that. I was thinking "brown recluse" and then saw you mentioned it. From the article, I may have to call bullshit:

Quote:After discovering the 10cm-deep bite, doctors said they had to operate.

Is that possible? Big ass stinger.

04-09-2017, 06:40 AM
(03-09-2017 09:08 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Yeah it says "woodlouse spider" never heard of that. I was thinking "brown recluse" and then saw you mentioned it. From the article, I may have to call bullshit:

Quote:After discovering the 10cm-deep bite, doctors said they had to operate.

Is that possible? Big ass stinger.

10 centimeters???

That'd be a spider the size of a German Shepherd....

10 cm is 4 inches....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-09-2017, 07:12 AM
I don't worry about it. I have an organic garden too. I have been bitten by spiders too, one in my garden, one in the hay house, one in a nice Hotel in Vegas and one in an airplane to Europe. The latter had pus producing bites - 3 of them up my leg - for months. Who knows what kind it was, beings it was a jet setter...

Still, even though I have seen a black widow under my deck, I don't worry about it. I just won't crawl under there. They do their thing to keep the eco system in my garden in balance, I do mine. They don't want to bite me, they just do it when they think they are going to get squished.

I am too fascinated with eco systems to be bothered. My fave project is an aquarium I have - one full year now without filtration or water changes. Other than the heater (the fish in it must have around 80 degrees) and daily feedings I don't influence it anymore. I have just the right ratio of fish versus plants versus bacteria in there. That is unusual to be able to pull off, most aquariums heavily depend on water changes and filters.

Anyway, I digress. The chances that you will be bitten by that spider are probably next to nil. Why worry about stuff that will likely never happen? Just enjoy your garden and your bees. My bet is that you won't be killed by spiders.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Huh, I actively hunt down and plant spiders and mantids in my garden in order to keep it healthy Tongue

Caught a big ass female orb weaver a few weeks ago--THAT one scared me. But she's done an excellent job at keeping the garden tidy, plus she's actually quite beautiful.

I wouldn't worry. On the off chance you get that spider in your garden it'll probably do you far more good than not.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
04-09-2017, 07:50 AM
I couldn't read the article, but as for the size, it's possible. I had a buddy who had a spider bite, and I think it was a brown recluse. It's not the bite itself but some sort of infection or venom. Can't remember the specifics, but he said they had to cut around it. He had a sort of pit.
04-09-2017, 09:33 AM
(03-09-2017 07:53 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  ...://www.yahoo.com/news/a/36946612/uk-mum-lauren-boddy-has-two-operations-after-spider-bite/

Damn. Since this article didn't seem to give me a location,

The link took me to a Malaysian Yahoo page so I looked up "Lauren Boddy" and found a Sun article (which by definition makes it fake news) and it states Reading, Berkshire.

I lived there for over 10 years.

The article said "garden spider". The garden spiders in Reading do not have 10cm fangs so I'm guessing that that was just yer garden variety misreporting from The Sun.

Big Grin

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
04-09-2017, 11:20 AM
In this case, I would love fake news. I'm starting to get downright phobic about spiders!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
04-09-2017, 02:21 PM
(04-09-2017 07:45 AM)Loom Wrote:  Caught a big ass female orb weaver a few weeks ago--THAT one scared me. But she's done an excellent job at keeping the garden tidy, plus she's actually quite beautiful.

Love/hate those things. Hate it when mowing yard and suddenly you're covered in web and one is scampering across your face, but yes lovely to look at. I've never had any luck trying to feed them. I know a bug has to be moving for the spider to attack it so I throw still-living bugs into the web and the spider just sits there like no thanks.

04-09-2017, 02:28 PM
I was bit by a spider once. Twasn't a lot of fun.

I don't like spiders.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.