Oh hai thar guys!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh hai thar guys!
So as I have just joined this forum, I feel a little obligated to talk about myself. I'm a 14 year old atheist living in Ireland. Seeing as I was raised in this country, I was raised Roman Catholic. I became atheist about 2 years ago which many people might consider too young to make a spiritual decision. The reason for this was the lack of proof and my discontent with the results of religion (war, genocide etc.). I have liked to think of myself as always questioning and that's probably how I came to the rational conclusion of the absence of God.

I stumbled across The Thinking Atheist after watching Richard Dawkins' 'The God Delusion' on tv quite recently. I was bored so I typed 'atheist' into YouTube and... Lo and behold! I have been devouring the podcasts and the videos recently and been browsing the forums and I am extremely happy to see such a cool community of like minded people. So, I guess... Hi? :3
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like KnuckleTurtle's post
25-10-2011, 03:51 PM
RE: Oh hai thar guys!
FREASH MEAT FOR THE GRINDER!...................I mean HELLO.

Welcome to the forum. Participate in whatever you feel like.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
25-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks. Smile
25-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't think 14 is too young to come to any conclusion. But maybe conclusion is too harsh a word. It would signify that there is nothing left to be discussed and I think at 14 you may have more to see and do that will push you one way or another. Then again you seem to be a logical thinker so your reasoning will probably not change, only solidify as time goes on. Look at Kirk Cameron for instance. Hear me out. He is the opposite of you. That's a great thing. He says that he was an atheist (I would agree that he was as far as everyone is from birth which is a completely different beast than being an atheist from choice.) that found god at an early age. He said that everything pointed to god being present. He came to these conclusions based on nothing essentially. You used logical thinking to look for evidence, and when you found none you decided that it wasn't true. Polar opposites. But in a way you are like him. Because you came to your belief system at an early age. And you may have curly hair. It may also be brown. And you may also star in a sitcom about family life, and co star with leonardo dicaprio.

... err.... welcome to the forum.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
25-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Fundamentalist Christian parents in the US would have you make your decision about spirituality long before 12 or 14. That age is certainly not too young to say "no" to religion if it's not too you to say "yes" to it. Smile

Welcome to the forums!
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
26-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi KnuckleTurtle -glad you're here.
14 isn't too young to know you are able to think freely.
Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Well thanks for the welcome and maybe conclusion isn't the right word, maybe just my current observation. That said, I would not consider myself agnostic.