Oh, man, Onan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Oh, man, Onan
All right. So reliable statistics seem to indicate that between 95-98% of men report masturbating at some point in their lives, 89% for women. Even more than 60% of married Christian men self-report masturbating (though just 13% of them consider it "normal").

Meanwhile, masturbation is so common in the animal kingdom, among both males and females, as to be considered "normal" sexual behavior.

Why don't these facts create cognitive dissonance in believers who insist that masturbation is a "sin"? Discounting obsessive whacking off, I presume most people see it logically as a victimless "crime" that harms no one.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post
10-03-2015, 06:09 PM
RE: Oh, man, Onan
Consider the psychological damage caused by negativity about sex that has affected millions of innocent people through their Christian upbringings. All youngsters explore their sexuality; yet the child or adolescent is told that such behaviors—even thoughts—are sins! The consequence is unnecessary guilt and shame.

The psychology here was worked out centuries ago. One of the typical church’s well-established agendas is to get people to dislike aspects of themselves. When an ego is wounded, a person is easier to control. Jesus, pure, sinless and sexless, comes to the rescue, sins are forgiven, and the church has conned another customer. The punter is “saved” from a problem he or she never had in the first place.

Sex should be a special, natural, wholesome, and beautiful part of life. Guilt about our most natural instincts is a filthy stain that’s hard to wash out of people’s minds once it has taken root. Shame on some churches for promoting this as the word of God!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
10-03-2015, 06:10 PM
(10-03-2015 06:04 PM)claywise Wrote:  All right. So reliable statistics seem to indicate that between 95-98% of men report masturbating at some point in their lives, 89% for women. Even more than 60% of married Christian men self-report masturbating (though just 13% of them consider it "normal").

Meanwhile, masturbation is so common in the animal kingdom, among both males and females, as to be considered "normal" sexual behavior.

Why don't these facts create cognitive dissonance in believers who insist that masturbation is a "sin"? Discounting obsessive whacking off, I presume most people see it logically as a victimless "crime" that harms no one.

Some animals get creative when masturbating

10-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Religion tries to destroy all senses of natural pleasure and well being so they can offer it back to you during religious service. It's kind of like "vitimin enriched" bread. People will not come back if they can be happy on their own.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 2 users Like NoSkyDaddy's post
10-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Because they don't take credence into what the numbers say. Those are taken by scientists and psychologists who aren't reliable to them.. they believe it is a sin because their pastor, priest, and parents told them it is a sin.

You really can't even say they read it as there is plenty of believers who never read that biblical part nor is it even deliberately clear that the story of Onan is about masturbation; due to it being an interpretation of the story.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-03-2015, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 07:07 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
(10-03-2015 06:04 PM)claywise Wrote:  All right. So reliable statistics seem to indicate that between 95-98% of men report masturbating at some point in their lives, 89% for women. Even more than 60% of married Christian men self-report masturbating (though just 13% of them consider it "normal").

In addition to the 95-98%, the other 2-5% are liars. Also, Onan wasn't killed for beating off, he was killed for pulling out. That said, what about all those little swimmers? They are the victims that are blasted into oblivion without notice. That is a catastrophe each time. I think I am going to cause a tsunami with the wife tonight.

Edit: This just occurred to me: if every sperm which is made in my own image and likeness via meiosis, is every time I get off going OT on my nuts? Each time, I am compelling myself to smite all the children, just like god would do. Wow, genocide is yahway flogging the dolphin.........that actually makes sense. Sort of.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
10-03-2015, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 07:49 PM by Sam.)
(10-03-2015 06:10 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  

Some animals get creative when masturbating

For fucks sake, now I've got to delete my history... Again. Angry

EDIT:

I think this video needs the eerie choir music from 2001: A Space Odyssey to really stand out.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2015, 08:41 PM
(10-03-2015 07:02 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Also, Onan wasn't killed for beating off, he was killed for pulling out.

True dat, but "Onanism" has been the traditional biblical reason that jacking it is a "sin," isn't it?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
10-03-2015, 09:52 PM

Well, for the animal thing, believers tend to have this "We're better than animals and they were put on this Earth only to make our lives easier" mentality that probably has something to do with it.

(10-03-2015 07:02 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  In addition to the 95-98%, the other 2-5% are liars.

I could be getting the definition wrong, but I'm pretty sure being asexual is a genuine thing that could cover those percents.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
11-03-2015, 07:10 AM
(10-03-2015 09:52 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 07:02 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  In addition to the 95-98%, the other 2-5% are liars.

I could be getting the definition wrong, but I'm pretty sure being asexual is a genuine thing that could cover those percents.

Good point. I forgot about that one. It would seem though that 5% for those guys is a bit high.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac