Oh my god! Why do I have detention?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Oh my god! Why do I have detention?
I go to a public high school, government funded and all. We have picked up a rule here; though shalt take god's name in vain. It's not written, but it has landed several kids in detention. About half of the teachers don't care, but the half that does care tends to get very passionate about it. It is literally the worst vocal offense that can be done in several classes. It is mostly decided by the teachers if saying "Oh my god" should be punishable, and to what extent, but our principal feels that it should be punished, and this makes it a little bit more universal and official.

Part of me feels that it is the teachers classroom, and people shouldn't say something that the teacher finds offensive. However, I'm also somewhat disturbed how we have a purely religious rule at our school.

So what is your thoughts? Should teachers be allowed to punish students when using god's name in vain in a public school? Should it be allowed to be an official rule? If so, how it be enforced?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2010, 05:00 PM
RE: Oh my god! Why do I have detention?
Absolutely it should be punishable, as much as any other word or term that could be offensive to a particular person or group. I would not, in the presence of a religous person who may be offended, say, "oh my god", and avoid saying it all together. Its as bad as saying something that would offend someone of a particular race. I find that inexcusable, no matter how mis-guided religion is.
Theres a fine line between the school having a purely religion based rule and the school expecting you to show respect towards people with a specific belief system. Your school is not crossing that line. They are not telling you to pray, they are telling to that saying something offensive will not be tolerated.
Good for them for enforcing this rule. ALL the teachers should be enforcing it, and teaching our youth to be respectful and tolerant, regardless of individual beliefs. Also, good for you for not automatically taking the defensive position simply because you are an atheist. It is imperative that you think things through, and coming here for others opinions is a great way to do that. I hope that you and I will both be able to say we are atheists someday without the reaction that is so common today. For us to achieve that, we need to show a certain degree of respect to those that have faith in a god no matter how delusional and mis-guided they are.

Just visiting.

-SR
07-04-2010, 05:13 PM

Ok I totally understand what you're saying. Being punished just for saying "Oh my God!" is completely stupid - it's just an usual habit, and it's not like you're offending God or anyone. Even if you say "God damn it!" or "Jesus Christ!" when you break a nail, it shouldn't be punishable. Although students shouldn't curse at class, it could happen to anyone - I think you should at least get a warning or two before you get detention.

Anyway, I would like to note that my English isn't perfect and if I make a mistake, someone please inform me! xD
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2010, 06:32 PM

(07-04-2010 05:00 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Absolutely it should be punishable, as much as any other word or term that could be offensive to a particular person or group. I would not, in the presence of a religous person who may be offended, say, "oh my god", and avoid saying it all together. Its as bad as saying something that would offend someone of a particular race. I find that inexcusable, no matter how mis-guided religion is.
Theres a fine line between the school having a purely religion based rule and the school expecting you to show respect towards people with a specific belief system. Your school is not crossing that line. They are not telling you to pray, they are telling to that saying something offensive will not be tolerated.
Good for them for enforcing this rule. ALL the teachers should be enforcing it, and teaching our youth to be respectful and tolerant, regardless of individual beliefs. Also, good for you for not automatically taking the defensive position simply because you are an atheist. It is imperative that you think things through, and coming here for others opinions is a great way to do that. I hope that you and I will both be able to say we are atheists someday without the reaction that is so common today. For us to achieve that, we need to show a certain degree of respect to those that have faith in a god no matter how delusional and mis-guided they are.

Amen Stark! oops maybe I shouldn't say that. I do like your comments.
08-04-2010, 03:39 AM

I just want to ask - If you shouldn't "take god's name in vain", then when are you allowed to use it? Where exactly is the line that shouldn't be crossed? Ok, you mustn't use it when you curse, you shouldn't use it to express anger, you shouldn't use it when you're surprised or shocked. Please someone tell me when I'm allowed to use God's name (except in prayer). I'm not starting an argument - just asking - never understood that - I just want to know.
And I don't get how saying "Oh my God" should be offensive to the religious? It's note like you're picking on anyone on purpose, besides it's you who'll burn in hell for saying it - not them.
[+] 1 user Likes AquaMarine's post
08-04-2010, 05:23 AM

I found the following article (no, martin, it is NOT from Wikipedia) that explains the phrase "Oh My God", why it's offensive, and individual views on is acceptibility: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life...48094.html

Personally, I don't see a problem with it. It has become a societal norm to use the phrase, offensive or not. As one person in the article put it (I'm paraphrasing), if you don't use "Oh My God", then what do you use? "Oh <expletive>"?

I think the religious are being way too uptight about this, especially when they can go ahead and parade around a torture device (Jesus on a stick) or condemn you to hell (how is that NOT blaspheming against Humanity?) I'm not going after the "an eye for an eye" defense...I'm just trying to show the double standard.

Last point...Ashley, if this rule were ever implemented in a school in California, every Valley Girl in that state would be expelled. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes supermanlives1973's post
08-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I can see how cursing or actually using the name might land you in some trouble, but I've never understood how saying "oh my God" was using God's name in vain. So God's name is God? I thought it was Yahweh. Or Jehovah. Or Jesus. If God's name is God then we should be using another word to describe other gods. It's quite confusing to me. Now, if you're running around yelling "jumping Jesus on a pogo stick!" then yeah you might get a teacher telling you not to say that.

For that matter, again, I don't get how saying "oh my God" is blasphemous. Isn't it just an expression used when something is incredible? Does it depend on the context? If you see a pretty flower, and say "oh my God that's beautiful" is that bad? Aren't you complimenting the supposed Creator on his handiwork? Or you see a terrible accident and say "oh my God please help them" is that bad? Or "oh my God help me" - is that bad? When Jesus was dying on the cross and yelled "my God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me" was that blasphemy?

Where are the rules for this phrase?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSixthGlass's post
08-04-2010, 08:40 AM
We don´t have such problems here in germany. We´re very tolerant with ting like that. I don´t know any very religous person and people aren´t very shocked when i tell them that i´m an atheist. Even the priest of our village is very tolerant. He excepts everyone how he is and acknowledges evolution.

PS: TheSixthGlass, i think it´s because you are saying:

oh --->MY<--- god
08-04-2010, 09:29 AM
My take on this is that its not the context, wording, or religous ramifications that are the issue. Its respect. Sure, context matters. (Jesus saying "God why hast thou forsaken me" was actually directed at god, so its not the same thing as taking the lords name in vain. He was actually talking to god). Saying "oh my god", "holy jumpin jesus", or any other term that refers to religous beleifs can be offensive to some. Just because its meaningless to you, does that make it ok to be disrespectful to others?

Another important factor is that this issue is being adressed in a school setting. This is the place where we should be teaching youth and young adults respect and tolerance. Why can't we say to these students, look guys, some people find it offensive when you use those phrases, and we want you to be respectful of people regardless of race, religion, etc etc. Therefore, we expect you to use something else. (And there are TONS of other things that can be said in place of "oh my god".) In an adult setting things may not be so black and white, but in a school we need rules, and we need to enforce them. Rules regarding respect for others are extremely important. Enforcement is also very important, (and something we are slowly losing the right to do).

It's my opinion that insulting another is wrong. Especially when its not for any other purpose than to express an emotion that could be expressed otherwise. Lets keep it simple for our students and allow them to learn the inticacies of the grey areas as they mature. Providing a foundation for respect is what they need now.

Just visiting.

-SR
08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
sorry stark i have to go now i will answer you later, please wait for the answer...