Oh my god! Why do I have detention?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM

RE: Oh my god! Why do I have detention?
(08-04-2010 09:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My take on this is that its not the context, wording, or religous ramifications that are the issue. Its respect. Sure, context matters. (Jesus saying "God why hast thou forsaken me" was actually directed at god, so its not the same thing as taking the lords name in vain. He was actually talking to god). Saying "oh my god", "holy jumpin jesus", or any other term that refers to religous beleifs can be offensive to some. Just because its meaningless to you, does that make it ok to be disrespectful to others?

Another important factor is that this issue is being adressed in a school setting. This is the place where we should be teaching youth and young adults respect and tolerance. Why can't we say to these students, look guys, some people find it offensive when you use those phrases, and we want you to be respectful of people regardless of race, religion, etc etc. Therefore, we expect you to use something else. (And there are TONS of other things that can be said in place of "oh my god".) In an adult setting things may not be so black and white, but in a school we need rules, and we need to enforce them. Rules regarding respect for others are extremely important. Enforcement is also very important, (and something we are slowly losing the right to do).

It's my opinion that insulting another is wrong. Especially when its not for any other purpose than to express an emotion that could be expressed otherwise. Lets keep it simple for our students and allow them to learn the inticacies of the grey areas as they mature. Providing a foundation for respect is what they need now.

Nice job Stark could not have said it better. BTW sorry I agree with you, I don't mean to harm your reputation.
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Martin,
No harm done to my reputation at all. In fact I'm glad to find something we agree on. I don't agree with many of your views, but us agreeing on even just one thing is a good example of how mutual respect can make a more positive environment. Heck, you may say something that drives me nuts in another thread, but it won't change the fact that we agree on this. Glad to have found some mutual ground to stand on, even if our paths to reach it came from different directions.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Interesting issue. I have a somewhat difficult time seeing "oh my god" as any kind of an expletive, but then again "swear words" are culturally defined. As long as the amount of detention is no more than if you had said "shit," it seems fair and reasonable.

Personally, I would have preferred it if my high school teachers had not only enforced rules against swearing but refrained from swearing themselves. Most of them were amazingly unprofessional and prone to outbursts.
08-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Ok, so we mostly, no completely, agree we should find new words to replace "Oh my God". I have only one problem now. I really got used to saying it. Sometimes I'm not even aware of it. It will take me some time to get out of the habit. So If I were to say it in a presence of a religious person, would it help if I apologize? That's all I can do right now, while I think of new words to replace it with.
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM

What does an atheist scream out during sex? "OOOHHH Darwin" or "OHHH Evolution"
08-04-2010, 11:31 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahaha that's a good one! xD But I couldn't tell you that...
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
(08-04-2010 11:11 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  What does an atheist scream out during sex? "OOOHHH Darwin" or "OHHH Evolution"

I always heard it as "OH MY SCIENCE", but that's pretty funny, too. Big Grin

Perhaps Sagan would fit better, though.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2010, 11:52 AM
(08-04-2010 11:11 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  What does an atheist scream out during sex? "OOOHHH Darwin" or "OHHH Evolution"

If you need to say words you're doing it wrong
[Image: 1250022020060.png]

08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
(08-04-2010 11:52 AM)Green Wrote:  

If you need to say words you're doing it wrong
[Image: 1250022020060.png]

[Image: picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=2375]

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
(08-04-2010 09:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My take on this is that its not the context, wording, or religous ramifications that are the issue. Its respect. Sure, context matters. (Jesus saying "God why hast thou forsaken me" was actually directed at god, so its not the same thing as taking the lords name in vain. He was actually talking to god). Saying "oh my god", "holy jumpin jesus", or any other term that refers to religous beleifs can be offensive to some. Just because its meaningless to you, does that make it ok to be disrespectful to others?

Another important factor is that this issue is being adressed in a school setting. This is the place where we should be teaching youth and young adults respect and tolerance. Why can't we say to these students, look guys, some people find it offensive when you use those phrases, and we want you to be respectful of people regardless of race, religion, etc etc. Therefore, we expect you to use something else. (And there are TONS of other things that can be said in place of "oh my god".) In an adult setting things may not be so black and white, but in a school we need rules, and we need to enforce them. Rules regarding respect for others are extremely important. Enforcement is also very important, (and something we are slowly losing the right to do).

It's my opinion that insulting another is wrong. Especially when its not for any other purpose than to express an emotion that could be expressed otherwise. Lets keep it simple for our students and allow them to learn the inticacies of the grey areas as they mature. Providing a foundation for respect is what they need now.

sorry stark but i disagree with you. You can´t make it right for everybody. If you could do that there were no discussions, diffrent ways of lifes and religions or wars. But you can´t just change everything just because somebody COULD be offended. You´ll never find the perfect option because people disagree in almost everything. Of course there are some things that can´t stay like they are and should be changed. But i think it´s ridiculous to change such harmless things because some people could be offended by it. Some people may be offended by christmas or easter. It is just tradition today like this holidays. Like AquaMarine said it, she uses this phrase just like everybody else, but not because she is a believer and not to offend somebody.
[+] 1 user Likes Germanatheist007's post