Oh my god... it's full of stars!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh my god... it's full of stars!
I burrowed a telescope of a colleague. I never peered trough one. Today It was a clear night so I put it out and aimed it to those 6 (!) stars inside TAURUS.
It was a cheap telescope but I looked in the ocular an saw...

OH MY GOD! IT'S FULL OF STARS!!

It reminded me of the "pale blue dot" (my favorite text).
After that aimed it to Jupiter and saw Ganymede, Io and Callisto. It was awesome.

I wish I could share the experience with you all.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
20-01-2011, 03:52 PM
RE: Oh my god... it's full of stars!
"Hello, Dave"

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I've never had opportunity to use a telescope, but I've used simple binoculars to look up at the stars. Even with just those you can see a little more.

A real telescope would be cooler though. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
21-01-2011, 01:17 AM
(20-01-2011 02:53 PM)The_observer Wrote:  OH MY GOD! IT'S FULL OF STARS!!

(20-01-2011 03:52 PM)BnW Wrote:  "Hello, Dave"
I drink my irony pure Wink
(20-01-2011 09:24 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  A real telescope would be cooler though. Wink
It really is! A good one is still on the €300 scale around here Undecided

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
21-01-2011, 01:34 AM
I had a chance to look at the moon through an amateur telescope once. The detail was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was interesting.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
21-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Quote:It really is! A good one is still on the €300 scale around here
Whaaat? I haven't even considered getting one 'cause I've thought that good ones cost thousands of euros.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
21-01-2011, 06:47 AM

To be honest astronomy doesn't interest me much at all. I don't know why, perhaps it's because we know so little about it compared to what we may know in the future when we can actually travel out there or send bigger cameras out in space. I have gone star gazing and enjoyed the lecture they have and I have looked through the telescopes of the hobbiests that bring them, but I just enjoy going for the wine. Big Grin

I am into photography however, and I would like to do a timelapse shot of the sky sometime when it's clear. Here is a shot i did of the moon, it's not that great as 200mm is my longest lens currently.

[Image: 2779693749_925bdc0ed1_z.jpg?zz=1]
moon by Dstanic photography, on Flickr
Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2011, 09:21 AM
(21-01-2011 04:24 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:It really is! A good one is still on the €300 scale around here
Whaaat? I haven't even considered getting one 'cause I've thought that good ones cost thousands of euros.
Better check e-bay then. Do you live in an aria where there is much light-pollution?
(21-01-2011 06:47 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  [Image: 2779693749_925bdc0ed1_z.jpg?zz=1]
moon by Dstanic photography, on Flickr
Wow! Congratulations on your photographing skill! How did you do that? What where your camera-settings? If i took a picture like this it would be my desktop wallpaper.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
21-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:Better check e-bay then. Do you live in an aria where there is much light-pollution?
5kilometers out of town. The huge industrial area of the neigbor town 6 kilometers from here usually glows light, but you can see the stars.

The next time the moon is visible I'll try to check it out closer with binoculars.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
21-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I was in Sweden a few years ago. We stood in a motor home by a lake. Late at night I stepped outside with a sleepy head to euh... do what comes naturally. After I did that I turned around and saw the horizon. I was shocked to see the WHOLE starry sky in front of me. It was totally un-be-liev-able pretty! Not only was the sky much more diverse being this far to the north, but it was also unspoiled by light-pollution. I never saw that before. I was wide awake in one single moment. It was only after a while that the cold reminded me of my nakedness. Confused

One of the downsides of having an naturalistic world view is that, on such special moments, you have no one to thank Wink

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post