Oh my god... it's full of stars!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2011, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2011 03:04 PM by Kikko.)
RE: Oh my god... it's full of stars!
I live just between two towns. If you look to the North West horizon you'll see a glow, if you look to the South East horizon (and climb to the roof or cut a few trees) you'll see a glow. But if you look anywhere else in the sky you'll see stars. When I'm having a small break from sauna and I don't feel like rolling in snow, I'll be sitting in the front yard looking at the skyline if it's visible. The steam is annoying though, but it stops in a few minutes.

The next time I'm wealthy I might try a cheap telescope (Maybe a Bresser 4-sky?). I could have afforded it, but instead I bought a 1954 handmade Russian/Soviet balalaika. Couldn't resist, it was so cheap in an internet auction sale.Tongue
Quote:One of the downsides of having an naturalistic world view is that, on such special moments, you have no one to thank Wink
That's a downside? :F
By the way, if Levi's still around, can you explain me why Japanese people do weird slow-motion ninja moves on top of fells? I heard that Japanese get all ninjaic when they see the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time, but I don't trust my source at all.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2011, 03:18 PM
(21-01-2011 02:54 PM)Kikko Wrote:  The next time I'm wealthy I might try a cheap telescope (Maybe a Bresser 4-sky?). I could have afforded it, but instead I bought a 1954 handmade Russian/Soviet balalaika. Couldn't resist, it was so cheap in an Internet auction sale.Tongue
Well... At least you can fuel your sauna with the balalaika Tongue

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
21-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:By the way, if Levi's still around, can you explain me why Japanese people do weird slow-motion ninja moves on top of fells? I heard that Japanese get all ninjaic when they see the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time, but I don't trust my source at all.

I've never heard of this... xD

But I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with Shinto. I think the most high goddess is the moon? Might having something to do with that. Pure speculation, though. xD

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2011, 04:17 PM
I think you're confusing Japanese people with Chinese kung fu monks in movies.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-01-2011, 10:50 AM

(21-01-2011 09:21 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Wow! Congratulations on your photographing skill! How did you do that? What where your camera-settings? If i took a picture like this it would be my desktop wallpaper.

Thanks. That is a 100% crop (zoomed in all the way) from a 10megapixel camera (Canon Rebel XTi). I took a better shot once with an old Sony H5 superzoom with 2x teleconverter (it was like 860mm equivalent), but I'm not sure where I put the pic.

There are 3 basic things to do for a good moon shot:

1. Camera with adequate zoom on a sturdy tripod
2. clear sky, and shoot before or after a full moon, you'll get better detail of the craters because of the shadows. Full moon it's too bright.
3. Camera settings is easy: learn how to adjust the controls of your camera manually and go here: http://www.adidap.com/2006/12/06/moon-ex...alculator/
Quote this message in a reply