"Oh my god" or "thank goodness" - what do use in place of

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 08:29 AM
"Oh my god" or "thank goodness" - what do use in place of
Growing up as a believer, I was taught not to take god's name in vein, but even the best Christian will do so.

As a non-believer, I find myself still using such phrases, but I'm becoming much more conscious about it. I now try to avoid using them, not because of the taking god's name in vein part, but because I'd rather just eliminate all references to the imaginary one during normal, day-to-day conversation.

A friend texted me good news and my natural response was to say "oh thank god!."

I'm 29, so I don't feel comfortable saying "oh thank goodness!" It's what my late grandmother used to say.

Am I over-thinking or does anyone have their own way of getting around it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JokerFace's post
24-01-2014, 08:41 AM
RE: "Oh my god" or "thank goodness" - what do use in place of
sometimes I try to fight it, sometimes I don't bother. But I don't think its just a 'christian' thing. I was raised in a secular house and say that sort of thing often……too often. I think its just part of our culture and the slang we use along the same lines of : like, ya know, cool, dude, whatever. and more.

In certain circles I might try to use it more often just because I know it irks someone (yes, passive aggressiveness, lol) but not often…I save it for *special* people. Angel

Holy Shit has been my recent replacement for oh my god, but I'm not sure that's any better.

Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-01-2014, 08:45 AM
It's a difficult habit to break, especially coming from years of indoctrination.

The way I dealt with it was to divorce any meaning from the words I was saying. It's kind of like when you say a word over and over again until it sounds weird. Mentally removing any link between the word "god" and any fictional being helped a lot. I still used phrases like "thank god" for a while, but to my mind it was like just saying "that turned out well". I knew in my mind that I wasn't actually giving praise to a god.

Eventually, the word just sort of fell out of my vocabulary on its own. I tend to swear a lot, so that probably helped in the replacement of the old terms. When I'm in a place where I can't drop an F-bomb, I'll use some made up word (i.e. Frak that motherfrakker) or something that is from another culture that make me sound ridiculous. "Crickey" is a personal favorite.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
24-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Oh my Gwynnies. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-01-2014, 08:49 AM
How about... well fuck me sideways... or bugger me with a pitch fork ... or shit the bed ... or ... well you get the picture. Honestly, I don't think it matters Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
24-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I usually say "Thank GOD", but for people who know me, it's obvious it's just a phrase.

Sometimes I'll use "Thank fuck" just to mix things up.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
24-01-2014, 09:03 AM
It is a hard habbit to break after my upbringing and with not wanting to swear I have to get creative. In place of "Oh my god" I tend to use things like, good grief, dammit, that sucks, etc. For "Thank god" things like, that's lucky, good for them, well that is good news, etc tend to work well.
24-01-2014, 09:04 AM
You have a few options:
  • Substitute another god: "Thanks Zeus!", "Oh my Loke!" (funny, but may piss off some people. Not super offensive.)
  • Go all Satanic: "Thank Satan!" (More offensive, but still funny in my opinion.)
  • Say "Ghost" instead of "God": "Oh my ghost!" (I've seen people do this online. I never cared for it, but it' gets the point across.)
  • Go all polytheistic: "Oh my gods!", "Thank the gods!" (This is popular on D&D boards, where the common settings feature multiple gods. Not too offensive.)
  • Take God's name in vain in increasingly weird ways: "Oh my Mr. Jesus!", "Jesus tapdancing Christ, that's amazing!", "Fucking Emanuel!", "What the Christ!?" (You're going for full-out offensive, here. I find it funny, but I'm kinda a dick when it comes to taking God's name in vain.)
  • Go all simple: "Wow!", "How lucky!", "That was fortunate!" (You may be kinda implying a higher power to some people, but this at least avoids overtly doing it. It will be a hard practice to get into if you're used to explaining "OMG!" all the time. Out of all my suggestions, this will probably be the best accepted by everyone, and they might not even notice the change.)
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
24-01-2014, 11:37 AM
(24-01-2014 09:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  "Jesus tapdancing Christ, that's amazing!"
Laugh out load
I'm at work, please don't make me laugh out loud like that again! Wink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
24-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I, horrifying to many, will spout out a healthy "Christ-on-a-cracker"; even in pubic. Oh the looks I can get while waiting in line at the store....... oh the faces............
evil I tell ya........... I'm just evil I guess.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post