"Oh my god" or "thank goodness" - what do use in place of

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 12:39 PM
RE: "Oh my god" or "thank goodness" - what do use in place of
(24-01-2014 12:27 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I, horrifying to many, will spout out a healthy "Christ-on-a-cracker"; even in pubic. Oh the looks I can get while waiting in line at the store....... oh the faces............
evil I tell ya........... I'm just evil I guess.

I have sometimes forgotten how offended some people get when you use god's name in vain. It gets ridiculous, like one time around a group of friends, I said something to the effect of "God damned, motherfucking, shitstained fucktard"... and got scolded for saying "god".

Wut? Really? Strings of obscenities come out of my mouth at any random moment, but the one that really gets to you is how I used 'god'. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

[Image: Xz9u1V7.png]

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
24-01-2014, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2014 06:25 PM by Adrianime.)
Hmm, well I grew up as a nonbeliever and honestly I use whatever the hell language I want.

This includes "Oh goodness", "Oh my god", "God damnit", "Thank goodness", "Holy moly", "Holy shizzles", "Goodness Gracious", "gosh" ...and many more! I even used to say stuff like "What the dickens!" and I know I used to incorporate beelzebub in a saying somehow..

Don't stress about it, just be natural. Why does it matter what phrases you use? Everybody has their quirks!

Oh and I definitely still, and always will, celebrate the wonderful holiday of Christmas Thumbsup

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
24-01-2014, 01:21 PM
(24-01-2014 12:27 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I, horrifying to many, will spout out a healthy "Christ-on-a-cracker"; even in pubic.

Heh. To a Catholic, it would actually be accurate if you switched it to "Christ-as-a-cracker". As an ex-Lutheran, I could say that it should have been "Christ-represented-as-a-cracker".

(24-01-2014 12:39 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I have sometimes forgotten how offended some people get when you use god's name in vain. It gets ridiculous, like one time around a group of friends, I said something to the effect of "God damned, motherfucking, shitstained fucktard"... and got scolded for saying "god".

My friend has an ex-wife like this. She swears a lot, and I'm reasonably certain that she takes God's name in vain (on accident, of course). If I do it, I get yelled at. Nevermind she's had one or more abortions, which are murder in her world-view. Still, it's way worse to hurt God's feelings than to kill someone (according to her world-view).

She's also a pathological liar and a sociopath, so there's a better-than-even chance that her getting mad at me is more of a calculated act than anything else.
24-01-2014, 01:29 PM
(24-01-2014 08:29 AM)JokerFace Wrote:  Growing up as a believer, I was taught not to take god's name in vein, but even the best Christian will do so.

As a non-believer, I find myself still using such phrases, but I'm becoming much more conscious about it. I now try to avoid using them, not because of the taking god's name in vein part, but because I'd rather just eliminate all references to the imaginary one during normal, day-to-day conversation.

A friend texted me good news and my natural response was to say "oh thank god!."

I'm 29, so I don't feel comfortable saying "oh thank goodness!" It's what my late grandmother used to say.

Am I over-thinking or does anyone have their own way of getting around it?

I do still say OMG (and I was picked on mercilessly by certain members of the forum on Skype Tongue). I do like thank goodness, since I do believe goodness should always be thanked. Smile

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-01-2014, 03:15 PM
(24-01-2014 08:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Oh my Gwynnies. Tongue

When im crapping I say that!!!!
24-01-2014, 03:20 PM
I used to care about that stuff, now I don't give a shit. It's just a bunch of expressions that snuck into everyday language and it doesn't mean anything.

I'll be damned if I bite my tongue off to avoid this stuff. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-01-2014, 03:20 PM
(24-01-2014 01:21 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 12:27 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I, horrifying to many, will spout out a healthy "Christ-on-a-cracker"; even in pubic.

Heh. To a Catholic, it would actually be accurate if you switched it to "Christ-as-a-cracker". As an ex-Lutheran, I could say that it should have been "Christ-represented-as-a-cracker".

(24-01-2014 12:39 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I have sometimes forgotten how offended some people get when you use god's name in vain. It gets ridiculous, like one time around a group of friends, I said something to the effect of "God damned, motherfucking, shitstained fucktard"... and got scolded for saying "god".

My friend has an ex-wife like this. She swears a lot, and I'm reasonably certain that she takes God's name in vain (on accident, of course). If I do it, I get yelled at. Nevermind she's had one or more abortions, which are murder in her world-view. Still, it's way worse to hurt God's feelings than to kill someone (according to her world-view).

She's also a pathological liar and a sociopath, so there's a better-than-even chance that her getting mad at me is more of a calculated act than anything else.

Flagrant hypocrisy coming from a believer? Say it ain't so!

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
24-01-2014, 04:13 PM
I say, Oh Your God.
[+] 1 user Likes Riddick's post
24-01-2014, 05:23 PM
My favorites

"Buttons!"