Oh, you know, just... LAWYERED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh, you know, just... LAWYERED
Ok, so poster is a good friend of mine who apparently has just embraced atheism (he used to be kind of on the fence)

But this was just too easy.

Poster
・ "Either the Bible is just an ordinary book written by mortals, or it isn't. Either Christ was divine, or he was not. If the Bible is an ordinary book, and Christ and ordinary man, the basic doctrine of Christianity is false, and the history of Christian theology is the story of bookish men parsing collective delusion. So let us be honest with ourselves. In the fullness of time, one side is really going to win this argument, and the other side is really going to lose."

-Sam Harris, "Letter to a Christian Nation" (2006)

Random theist 1
You can argue about the ordinariness of the book/man but you cannot argue how the book/man changed the course of mankind. That itself is an argument for the greatness of the book/man.

Little ole me 
Greatness? Christianity has set and held mankind back for 2 millenia. From the persecution of Galileo to the modern day stil,l in this modern day and age scientific research is halted because there are those of some religion who feel the research is of...Meer weergeven

Random theist 2 
Pick on Islam for a while will you? Sheesh such cowards. Why is it always Christ you have a problem with? I DARE you to spout some offensive rhetoric about Muhammad and his prophet. If you're really so inspired to bash a religion in public, go holla at The Nation Of Islam. Don't be scared. What is the worst that could happen? people are so damned morally selective.

I.R. Baboon
"One side is really going to win and the other is really going to lose". What determines a win and what determines the loss??? If You live according to the fictitious bible and love everyone the way Christ loves You, accept Him as Your personal Savior,...Meer weergeven

Little ole me
Sure, why not. (btw, Muhammed is supposed to be the prophet) Islam is just as bad. Most of it is a carbon copy of the bible. Mohammed and most of his followers in the 6th century couldn't read or write and the Kuran was only written down in the 8th cen...Meer weergeven

I.R. Baboon 
I agree 1000% religions are terrible. Christianity is a lifestyle not a religion.

Poster 
That's simply not true, Michel. One can live a lifestyle that is governed by morals similar to those held by many Christians, but Christianity is most definitely an organized religion.

Little ole me 
Lazy and workaholic are lifestyles. Christianity is religion, the suspension of reason and blind obedience of rules set by desert-hermits who wanted to control their women and slaves.

I.R. Baboon
What book are you reading from Robin?? Christianity is nothing like that.

Little ole me
I have read the bible. Have you?

Poster 
He's referring largely to the Old Testament. While Christianity is indeed founded primarily on the New Testament, Christians do generally recognize the Old Testament as being relevant to their faith.

Little ole me 
There is so much wrong with that statement.
First: god and jesus are the same person, 2 parts of the holy trinity. He is the god of the old testament and he is the god of the new testament.
Second:  http://www.evilbible.com/do_not_ignore_ot.htm

Poster
While there is indeed much that is wrong with my previous statement, it is not inaccurate to the general Christian perspective.

Little ole me
Yes, because:
1. There is no such thing as a christian. There are vast differences between the denominations, which were clearly defined. Then Carter ran for president and muddied the waters by the worst general term.
2. None of the denominations follow all rules, like:
- Polyester, shellfish, meat on fridays are punishable by death.

I.R. Baboon
If u read the bible from front to back. You will find that it is certainly progressional. As Greg made mentioned, Christianity is indeed founded in the New Testament. Religions (in reference to those that are out there) are about man reaching God. However, Christianity is about God reaching out to humanity.

Little ole me
If you read the bible all you see it is a manilpulative bunch of random stories from different prior religions. Renamed and rebundled by the first council of Nicea.
You haven't read the bible and you haven't read any of my posts.
Get back to me when you read both. Until then, I will no longer respond to you.

I.R. Baboon
There is nothing wrong with saying the the bible is progressional. Let me provide an example. ( and I never said to ignore the Old Testament either.) in order to know where u are heading you must know where you've been. In the Old Testament, it was all...Meer weergeven

Little ole me
And that the husband can beat the wife with a stick and murder her at will.
Nothing but justifications for misogyny.

I.R. Baboon
Throughout this conversation. I nor Poster have not been rude, dismissive, or condescending to one another, or anyone else partaking in this conversation. This is an equal discussion on a matter and everyone's opinions are valid. This was not a forum to ...Meer weergeven

Little ole me
Now you´re just being petty. Start by actually reading what I wrote. Nothing but facts.
And if you did read them: You just realise I have a point.
You haven´t refuted a single point I made.
I suggest you take some time to consider what I wrote.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply