Oh, you're a scientist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh, you're a scientist...
So I recently changed jobs to be closer to the college I am attending. I met a gentlemen in his 20's who I have to frequently work with. We have a job were we can bullshit as we move along. He bring up topics on UFO's, 9/11 conspiracies, bigfoot, etc... Well I pretty much tell him my stance on them and that is there isn't sufficient evidence for them. Then he brings up religion, I go through the same spell identifying the lack of evidence and reason to believe.

This is the point where he said, "Oh, so you're a scientist." In a rather unwelcoming tone. After recovering from the implication he was imposing based on his tone I asked him if he would repeat the sentence again for me in the same tone, but with the definition of the word scientist in it's place. I then gave him a somewhat accurate definition of the word and told him to go ahead. He remained silent for a second as if reciting it in his head, and then refused to comment. He in a round about way avoided saying it and changed the topic.

My question is, when the fuck did the work "Scientist" become a "bad" word?

sci·en·tist -A person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2011, 12:04 PM
RE: Oh, you're a scientist...
People have begun to associate it with atheist...and in turn atheist is somehow associated with evil and/or devil. So they think of scientist as someone who studies nature and worships satan.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
21-09-2011, 12:18 PM

(21-09-2011 11:50 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  My question is, when the fuck did the work "Scientist" become a "bad" word?

Next time you talk to him, tell him that his miserable life completely depends on scientists: the food he eats, the roof over his head, the elevator he rides, the planes he is flying on, the bridge he crosses, the car he drives, the train or subway he may ride to work, the phones he communicates on, the computers he can't live without, the hospital he goes to --- long list.

I said it before: religious nut cases are the worst hypocrites on the Planet.
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2011, 12:19 PM
In the immortal words of the beloved Bill Murray...

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2011, 02:37 PM

(21-09-2011 12:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  People have begun to associate it with atheist...and in turn atheist is somehow associated with evil and/or devil. So they think of scientist as someone who studies nature and worships satan.

That is one logical twist I will never understand.

Premise: You do not believe in mythological entities like gods, wood nymphs, spirits, etc. because you have seen no evidence for their existence.

Conclusion: therefore you must believe in satan!

Huh
21-09-2011, 03:08 PM
(21-09-2011 02:37 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Premise: You do not believe in mythological entities like gods, wood nymphs, spirits, etc. because you have seen no evidence for their existence.

Conclusion: therefore you must believe in satan!

Huh

That reminds me of how people were persecuted by the Church during the Renaissance. If you didn't believe in Satan, they thought you didn't believe in God either. This ruined their view of a dualistic world where good and evil came from two different sources. If there was no Satan, then God had to be the source of evil.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2011, 04:41 PM
(21-09-2011 12:18 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(21-09-2011 11:50 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  My question is, when the fuck did the work "Scientist" become a "bad" word?

Next time you talk to him, tell him that his miserable life completely depends on scientists: the food he eats, the roof over his head, the elevator he rides, the planes he is flying on, the bridge he crosses, the car he drives, the train or subway he may ride to work, the phones he communicates on, the computers he can't live without, the hospital he goes to --- long list.

I said it before: religious nut cases are the worst hypocrites on the Planet.

Ah but some of them will say... no, it's god that keeps all those things in order. If our country/society doesn't believe in god then those thing will start breaking down because scientists are not trusting in god, yada yada...

Danger Will Robinson, Danger....

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
21-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I suspect the puppet-masters have an ulterior motive for demonizing (literally!) science and scientists, which had nothing to do with religion, until they connect those dots for the morons who follow their lead. I think the real reason is climate change, environmental degradation and pollution. There is very big profit in trashing the planet; got to silence and/or discredit the people who warn against it.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
21-09-2011, 05:17 PM

(21-09-2011 04:41 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  Ah but some of them will say... no, it's god that keeps all those things in order. If our country/society doesn't believe in god then those thing will start breaking down because scientists are not trusting in god, yada yada...

That's an easy one to answer.

Experiment: Pick an overwhelmingly religious state and then STOP maintaining all the equipment and infrastructure. Let's see if god will take care of them for his children who love him so much.

(21-09-2011 05:02 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  I suspect the puppet-masters have an ulterior motive for demonizing (literally!) science and scientists, which had nothing to do with religion, until they connect those dots for the morons who follow their lead. I think the real reason is climate change, environmental degradation and pollution. There is very big profit in trashing the planet; got to silence and/or discredit the people who warn against it.

I think Peterkin hit the nail on our head again!

Sad
21-09-2011, 06:00 PM
They use this as a last resort to state why you would obviously be against it. I usually make my points, then tell them who I am. This isn't evidence to support their claims, it's a provocation.

These people don't seem to mind scientists when they get diagnosed with some weird, painful, visually unpleasant disease and need a cure. However religion, oh no - scientists are tandem out to abortion doctors. Never mind that double standard, point it out and move on.