Oh, you're blessed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2017, 03:58 PM
RE: Oh, you're blessed?
(17-02-2017 11:36 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I have to admit, there are quite a few things that grind my gears when it comes to theists, but one that stands out the most is when they say they are blessed. I'm not talking about the definition you find six or seven entries down that refers to being fortunate or lucky. You know these ignorant believers feel their sky daddy "blessed" them with their wonderful job, fantastic spouse and terrific children.

I find this incredibly offensive. What they are saying, without actually saying it, is they believe their god has chosen to give them these nice things while choosing to not give these "blessings" to others. The ego on these people is bigger than the great outdoors. How arrogant to think your god loves you more than other people.

It's actually sad and indefensible.

/rant
No argument with you, but it is so ingrained that they just don't see it. It never crossed my mind what an impertinent douchebag I was until I was OUT of the faith. THEN came the shameful realizations.

For me at least it was mostly just the faulty reasoning and modeled behavior I was marinated in since childhood. When everyone around you does it and it's held up as virtuous behavior and a demonstration of faith, and any negative reactions is just guilty people's discomfort or god hater's reactions, then you tend to assume it's normal behavior. It's how you navigate your bubble world socially.

One way to understand it and have some compassion for it, is to realize that in a sense they are just telling themselves through these affirmations that their faith actually works, that god actually intervenes / protects / empowers / guides them. Also it is a way for them to advertise their faith and personally fulfill the Great Commission in a way that, while obnoxious and entitled in its own right, is at least less intrusive and offensive than buttonholing people directly and trying to do an overt sell job on them.

Another thing to understand is that most of this comes from fundamentalism, and I can't say it often enough: fundamentalism isn't first and foremost about DOING right, it's about BEING right. This creates the need to PROVE that you're right, which creates the need to TALK about it incessantly. Yes, it's pathetic, and annoying, but trust me, they know on some level that it's both of those things but they are so afraid of being wrong that they can't stop themselves.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like mordant's post
17-02-2017, 08:54 PM
It's the same with thanking God for your food before you eat it, ok so God provided you with the means to buy or grow this food you are about to eat but a starving kid somewhere going to bed hungry is just...unlucky? Evil? Unworthy?

It's pretty fucked up but I've been told by a few theists that I could be so happy with the joy of God's love in my heart. I tell them I'm content without him, sure I have sad times and very happy times but overall I'm happy with my life so I don't need him. You know what they say? Well God gave you those things that you make you so happy, you should be thankful!

Of course they can always say Satan is deceiving me but every once and awhile I get this bullshit here, yeah God still loves you either way apparently. Of course you're still going to Hell, nothing can help that I'm afraid unless I want to blindly bend the knee to a psychopath and that's not gonna happen.

Uhhh ok so God will still love me and make sure I'm happy even though I'm an atheist? That's better than being told I'd be happier as a believer but if I'm doing so well as a non-believer why would I ever change? I'm good the way I am and I'm not even "#blessed"? Ok cool, I'll just keep not believing and being happy anyway.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
17-02-2017, 10:17 PM
(17-02-2017 08:54 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  It's the same with thanking God for your food before you eat it, ok so God provided you with the means to buy or grow this food you are about to eat but a starving kid somewhere going to bed hungry is just...unlucky? Evil? Unworthy?
My Dad was a good man who respected my boundaries but he slipped up just once when I went out to dinner with he and Mom. By that time I had long since quit giving thanks to my former imaginary friend, forgot myself and dug in without waiting for him to pray and he irritably reprimanded me for being unthankful for the food, despite that I was in my late 30s by then. I let it go because it was not my intention to offend my parents or to argue with them (they were in their late 70s at the time) and in fact I hadn't really "come out" to anyone yet. But it did take me aback and reminded me of how reflexively programmed I was in my upbringing in the faith.

This is really important to many Christians; if they are not in the habit of praying about anything else, they will offer up a generally formulaic prayer of thanks at mealtime. I have often wondered if this is a worldwide thing or more uniquely American or perhaps fundamentalist. The Bible does not command it. The closest it comes is the Lord's Prayer, which is an example template for how to pray generally and includes asking god for one's "daily bread", not thanking him for it; and there's a passing mention of Paul thanking god for food and a couple of similarly offhand mentions of Jesus doing it. But it doesn't seem anything like the big deal some Christians feel it is, and it's always struck me as incongruous how gauche they think it is to omit it and yet how empty and disengaged the praying generally is when it is practiced. If people thanked the cook in the same perfunctory and monotone way, I think the cook would be offended. And now that I think of it, my mother did tend to think that her food preparation was mostly taken for granted. She could probably have used some of the unearned adulation that went to Sky Daddy, since she had actually made the meals happen.

I guess it's just one more ritual I'm glad not to participate in.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
17-02-2017, 10:27 PM
(17-02-2017 08:54 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  It's the same with thanking God for your food before you eat it, ok so God provided you with the means to buy or grow this food you are about to eat but a starving kid somewhere going to bed hungry is just...unlucky? Evil? Unworthy?

It's pretty fucked up but I've been told by a few theists that I could be so happy with the joy of God's love in my heart. I tell them I'm content without him, sure I have sad times and very happy times but overall I'm happy with my life so I don't need him. You know what they say? Well God gave you those things that you make you so happy, you should be thankful!

Of course they can always say Satan is deceiving me but every once and awhile I get this bullshit here, yeah God still loves you either way apparently. Of course you're still going to Hell, nothing can help that I'm afraid unless I want to blindly bend the knee to a psychopath and that's not gonna happen.

Uhhh ok so God will still love me and make sure I'm happy even though I'm an atheist? That's better than being told I'd be happier as a believer but if I'm doing so well as a non-believer why would I ever change? I'm good the way I am and I'm not even "#blessed"? Ok cool, I'll just keep not believing and being happy anyway.

Also why would God care if a non believer is happy?

Edit: Never mind you covered that Facepalm I need sleep.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-02-2017, 12:15 AM
(17-02-2017 12:40 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(17-02-2017 11:48 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  For someone who dislikes him, you sure talk about him a lot.

You have to understand Min. He is grumpy all the time and easily aggravated. He is mostly harmless though.
[Image: 352f22490b399d2c51858eda19633bba.jpg]

Over-rated.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
18-02-2017, 02:11 AM
People where I'm at seem to mean it in a really nice way.

Sometimes I do feel like it's kind of a passive aggressive way of saying "I'm religious" but since like almost everyone around here is I doubt they're thinking "Haha! I just stuck it to I'mFred!"
18-02-2017, 03:33 AM
By blessed, you mean that you didn't earn it. All these good things you have were just handed to you ? You didn't have to work hard for any of it ?

It sounds like you're saying that you are the equivalent of a guy begging for money on the street corner who got rich from everything people gave him.

If a starving child doesn't deserve a so called "blessing", what makes you think that you do ?

There is nothing special about people who beg for MORE money in their prayers while children simply want something to eat so they can survive another day.

You're not blessed. You're fortunate to have been born in a good country with a high standard of living.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
18-02-2017, 03:49 AM
I'm a blessed motherfucker. I won ten bucks on a lottery scratcher six days ago, and I haven't had cancer yet. God is good!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post