Ohio 'heartbeat bill' - abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Ohio 'heartbeat bill' - abortion
Quote:Ohio 'heartbeat bill' abortion ban moves to governor
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio would have the country's most restrictive abortion laws under a bill sent to Gov. John Kasich on Tuesday, as leading Republicans were emboldened by the anticipation of Donald Trump's upcoming federal and Supreme court appointments.

If signed by Kasich, the so-called "heartbeat bill" would ban abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detected, which can be as early as six weeks' gestation. The proposal would not exempt pregnancies resulting from rape or incest, but does include an exception for an abortion to save the life of the pregnant woman.

Quote:For years, Kasich, leading Republican senators and Ohio Right to Life have cited its unconstitutionality as their reason for opposing the heartbeat measure.
Quote:On Tuesday, Senate Republicans changed course. Faber cited Trump's election to the presidency as justification for his change of heart, saying the effort could have a shot in the courts with Trump's appointees.
In other words, don't support it when it might lose, but support it when it might win. WTF? So rightness and wrongness don't matter? What happened to it being unconstitutional? Fuck these people! Angry

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Impulse's post
07-12-2016, 11:55 AM
RE: Ohio 'heartbeat bill' - abortion
Are they going to hold the same standard to geezers on life support??????

Gee -- that should be fun....

The standard should be the same for beginning and end of life --- when BRAIN FUNCTION can be detected (birth) or not (death).....

But the "right to life" cunts won't go along with that --- as they're bitterly opposed to anything being based on such nebulous things - as logic...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 11 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-12-2016, 12:03 PM
(07-12-2016 11:03 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
Quote:If signed by Kasich, the so-called "heartbeat bill" would ban abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detected, which can be as early as six weeks' gestation.
If this passes muster in the courts I foresee an effort to develop the means to detect heartbeat much earlier. Depending on how you define heartbeat you might be able to detect it within hours of conception.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
07-12-2016, 12:06 PM
(07-12-2016 11:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The standard should be the same for beginning and end of life --- when BRAIN FUNCTION can be detected (birth) or not (death).....

Hadn't thought of it that way. Seems reasonable to me.

Week 25

A sizable contingent would assert that life begins at 25 weeks. The rationale for this starting point is based on our definition of death. The definition of death is not disputed, and is considered the time when electroencephalography (EEG) activity ceases. EEG measures brain activity and must demonstrate regular wave patterns to be considered valid. Therefore, by this rule the onset of life would be the time when fetal brain activity begins to exhibit regular wave patterns, which occurs fairly consistently around week 25. Previous to that time, the EEG only shows small bursts of activity without sustained firing of neurons.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-12-2016, 12:07 PM
(07-12-2016 11:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The standard should be the same for beginning and end of life --- when BRAIN FUNCTION can be detected (birth) or not (death).....

I don't agree with this either though. The whole question of exactly what constitutes life and exactly when it begins is far from clear no matter what line is chosen. This, for me, is one of the strongest arguments for why it should be left up to each individual to decide and it cannot and should not be legislated except maybe to ensure that right.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
07-12-2016, 12:09 PM
(07-12-2016 12:03 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 11:03 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
If this passes muster in the courts I foresee an effort to develop the means to detect heartbeat much earlier. Depending on how you define heartbeat you might be able to detect it within hours of conception.
Ugh, you're probably right.

07-12-2016, 12:19 PM
(07-12-2016 12:09 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 12:03 PM)f stop Wrote:  If this passes muster in the courts I foresee an effort to develop the means to detect heartbeat much earlier. Depending on how you define heartbeat you might be able to detect it within hours of conception.
Ugh, you're probably right.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went as far as to say, "It has unique human DNA! Therefore, we must preserve it from conception!"

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 9 users Like ShadowProject's post
07-12-2016, 04:44 PM
(07-12-2016 11:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Are they going to hold the same standard to geezers on life support??????

Gee -- that should be fun....

The standard should be the same for beginning and end of life --- when BRAIN FUNCTION can be detected (birth) or not (death).....

But the "right to life" cunts won't go along with that --- as they're bitterly opposed to anything being based on such nebulous things - as logic...........

They don't give a crap about people after they are born. Quality of life means nothing to these people.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
07-12-2016, 05:11 PM
So the guy that wrote the bill was accused of domestic violence by his wife. Facepalm

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post